TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Changing Entity CS using TC Surfaces?
Read 1297 times
December 12, 2009, 06:02:54 AM
I'm in the middle of messing with TC Surfaces rather than ACIS for a change, in order to see what is and isn't doable (trying to see if a certain 3D model can be recreated adequately using Deluxe instead of Pro).  And I need to take one entity and change its Entity coordinate system so that Arbitrary Plane image wrapping will work.

Normally I would make a small sphere with the intended CS, move it to the Center of Extents of the final object, then 3D Add both together, selecting the main object first, then the sphere, thus changing the CS of the final object.

But with both objects set to "TC Surface", 3D Add doesn't do what it does when working with ACIS solid objects.  No matter the order of selection, the final object's CS stays the same as the original large object.

(Yes, I have the Selector Configuration Extents CS set to "Entity CS" so I can observe what happens to the coordinate systems of the objects).

So does anyone have any idea what the deal is with that?  Do TC Surface additions always defer to the largest object's CS?  The CS of the oldest created object? 

This was tried within 11.2 Pro as well as the latest Free Trial of Deluxe 16 with the same results in both.  Any thoughts?

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

December 12, 2009, 06:53:48 AM
I think I've answered my own question on this one...

I did some further experimentation combining objects made in workplanes other than the WCS and doing the Boolean Add operation while in a non-default workplane.  It appears that when you add two 3D "TC Surface" objects together, the combined object has an Entity coordinate system that is consistent with the World Coordinate System.  When you explode the result (two non-touching entities), the new Entity CS is retained in both.

So I guess that answers my question.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016