TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

How do I snap to a Solid?
Read 4384 times
December 10, 2009, 11:54:03 PM
I tried to keep my 2D lines for construction, but invariably I need to be able to snap to some point on an ACIS solid.  Nothing seems to work.  How do you guys handle this?  I cannot assemble or use solids if I cannot snap to them.  What to do?

Example:  I have a hollow cylinder.  After moving around, I have no 2D objects to snap to.  Why can't TC see the edge of this as a circle to snap to?  I cannot construct the circle precisely.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:08:33 AM by t.karlmann@comcast.net »

* December 11, 2009, 12:55:18 AM
What version/edition are you using?

Do you have "Degenerative Faceting" turned Off (Options/ACIS)? TC won't recognize the edges of a Cylinder (Solid) as a circle when this is off.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

December 11, 2009, 09:59:55 AM
The Box that says degenerative faceting was checked.  Now what?  This has not changed since forever.

What about, for example the midpoint of the edge of a cube?  Other?  Nothing seems to snap to ACIS solids -- I have been (habitually) drawing 2D lines OVER 3D objects to get snaps to work.  Doesn't everyone need to do this?

The only snaps on solids that I can get are corner points of cubes to draw lines -- many other tools will not recognize other attributes for snaps like midpoints or any part of circle, etc.

I have v15.2 Pro.   Please assist!

Thom
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:27:09 AM by t.karlmann@comcast.net »

December 11, 2009, 10:54:36 AM
Does this happen in a new drawing with primitive objects?

Does center of extents work?

I am thinking for some reason what you are trying to snap does not think it has a middle or somehow your workspace is messed up.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* December 11, 2009, 10:56:50 AM
You're moving a selection and it doesn't snap where you want.

Are you working in 2D Mode? If so, go to Selector Properties (Local Menu) and on the General Page select "2D/3D Depending…". I find this to be the best setting to use when working with 2D and 3D.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

December 11, 2009, 05:50:44 PM
Yes, it does happen in a new drawing with primative objects.  The only thing I have noticed that seems to degenerate is the Join command.  After drawing for awhile, it becomes ghosted and will not come back.  I close the program, and reopen it, then the Join icon is no longer ghosted.

AFAIK, snapping to 3D objects never works, and never has worked.  How do you snap to 3D objects?

Would Vista 64 make any difference?  I am runnning it.

Please comment on fixing up my workspace.  I have noticed that when using Workplane on Facet, the x,y,z coordinates do not always match up with the little icon in the lower left corner when using the bar on the bottom of the screen to change object sizes or positions.

I have attached a part of my drawing.  I cannot snap to anything on the hollowed cylinder.  I am using the cube to snap to facets used to create the spiral with the Rotate command.  The circles were used to construct the hollowed cylinder.  I need to be able to create a point located precisely in the center of both faces of the hollow cylinder.

Not sure what center of extents is.  ???

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:01:22 PM by t.karlmann@comcast.net »

December 11, 2009, 06:20:08 PM
I just tried snapping to some solid primitives upon opening TC, and creating a new dwg.  The attached drawing is the result -- I was able to snap to the 3D objects as shown in the dwg.

Now I will go back and see about my original dwg.

[attachment deleted by admin]

December 11, 2009, 06:30:21 PM
OK, now snapping to solids is working on my original dwg!!!!!!!!    :-[

Perhaps what I did, long long ago and far far away, I was somehow not able to snap to solids such that I developed a habit of placing 2D lines and such over 3D objects just to get snaps to work on the 3D.

Now snapping to 3D works.  Go figure.  Anyway, this process has helped to speed up my TC work tremendously!!!!!!

I know it may may not seem like much, but thanks a bunch guys!!   ;D  8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:32:05 PM by t.karlmann@comcast.net »

* December 11, 2009, 11:27:20 PM
re: Not sure what center of extents is.  ???

See Center of Extents in the Wiki site or Help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

December 12, 2009, 08:45:55 PM
There are still some instances where I need to overlay 2D lines to a 3D object to achieve results.  Is this normal for everyone?

Example:  If I need to trim a 2D line to the edge of a cube (Before you ask, both the line and the face of the cube are in the same Workplane), the operation will not work unless I draw a 2D line along the edge of the cube.  Drawing the 2D line using the "N" snap seems to work on the cube's edge; but perhaps none of the Modify operations will?

Is this what everyone else gets?  Is there a fix for this?  Overlaying 2D lines onto 3D object edges is time-consuming and unnecessary.  I always use Workplane By Facet to ensure workplane orientation for 2D objects.

Thom

P.S.  Snap To Extens is now my fav snap mode!  I had never used it before.  I works to place a point on a cube face when the cube face is the Workplane.  Very useful -- thanks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:53:15 PM by t.karlmann@comcast.net »

* December 12, 2009, 11:47:36 PM
re: If I need to trim a 2D line to the edge of a cube , the operation will not work unless I draw a 2D line along the edge of the cube.

In this case, adding a 2D line, $Construction line or 3D Polyline is about the best way to go to Trim or Shrink/Extend a 2D line. An "N", Near, snap will work, but isn't as accurate as the former methods. Most all of the tools on the Modify toolbar only recognize 2D objects, not 3D. Something for the Wish List.

The Trim tool does have a "Trim by line" feature (Local Menu or IBar), wherein you snap a temporary dashed trim line between two points, then Trim. The line disappears as soon as you cancel (Esc) the Trim operation.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled