TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Duped? (Again?)
Read 3425 times
* May 22, 2009, 05:28:32 PM
I may have made well reasoned blunder when I ordered TurboCAD for MAC and the upgrade to TC 16.0 this week. I assumed that TC-MAC would read TC-Windows files or at least files in dxf format. Much to my surprise, it does not, or at least I have not had much success with it. I assumed that drawing files from TurboCAD two different platforms with the same name would be interchangeable. I had oped to be able to work on my Windows machine at home and my MAC laptop on the road, but it appears that the files are not interchangeable.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

* May 26, 2009, 07:28:18 AM
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct about the lack file compatibility between TurboCad for Mac and TurboCad for Windows.  I don't think that "duped" is fair, though - IMSIDesign has been very clear that these are two different code bases and that files are not transferable.  I don't see why .dxf or .dwg files wouldn't provide some means of transferring data between the two programs, however.

JoeM

* May 26, 2009, 02:15:31 PM
The real issue is that there are many object types that the MAC version up until now doesn't truely support, that TCWin does.   Moving forward we really hope to have better DWG/DXF filters for TCMac.   Personally I've found that really the best method for TCWin to TCMac interop has been SAT format.  Of course that assumes you are drawing in 3D.  However you will loose any assigned LW materials and everthing will come into TC as color =green.  You'll loose any 2D profiles, but the 3D geometry comes in perfectly.

* May 26, 2009, 03:01:01 PM
I don't think that "duped" is fair, though - IMSI Design has been very clear that these are two different code bases and that files are not transferable.

True, duped is probably a bit harsh, but IMSI acquired that software firm quite a few years ago. They should have merged the file structures by now. Several forward looking utility software firms have come to the realization that their user base uses both MACs and PC at the same time, and sell their software so that it can be installed on two computers at the same time, one laptop and one desktop. IMSI has not seen fit to do so.

I don't see why .dxf or .dwg files wouldn't provide some means of transferring data between the two programs, however.

Neither do I. Too bad it doesn't work as well as it should. I've yet to take a complex drawing file from windows and had it transfer all of the data to the MAC via a *.dxf file. Moreover, I have not been able to save a MAC file into a *.dxf format. The only thing that gets written to the disk is the file name, but the fill is empty, i.e., zero bytes. (The DWG format doesn't work in either direction.)

Duped? Perhaps not, but disappointed? Yes. Greatly disappointed.