TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

3D Print Service recommendations?
Read 2764 times
March 04, 2015, 10:22:52 PM
The car cradle for my cell phone snapped after a couple months of use (the plastic it was made from was too brittle, which probably explains why I was able to buy it for $8 on eBay, shipping and handling included), so I designed a new one.

As you'd expect from the picture, the bottom of the phone would insert into the two feet at the right.  The phone would bend the strut at the left until the retainer clip slips over the top edge and snaps into place.  The left strut is 0.1" thick, about 2.3-2.6" long (depending on whether it bends at the bracket or the inner curve) and the bend distance at the far end is 0.37", so the bend angle would be about 8-10 degrees.  There would also be some bending at the 90 degree angle at the left end when the tab is pushed to free the phone (how much would obviously depend on the material).

I need some suggestions on material choice.  I tried slogging through Stratasys' Materials page and it's full of generic phrases like "ranging in strength and stiffness", "high elongation properties for increased flexibility" and "exhibit great tolerances with excellent accuracy", but too many specific materials selection, no numbers and no specific use examples.

Also, anyone got any recommendations on places to use that are moderate in price?  I could have it printed at Shapeways with their Strong and Flexible Plastic (probably a good choice) for $14.62, plus $4 shipping, but it'd take a couple weeks to get it (based on previous builds).  Hollywood3DPrinting can print it in a day, but they want $58.06 (including a $20 setup fee, which seems exorbitant), plus shipping.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

March 05, 2015, 02:02:07 AM
Hi Jeff,

there are number of things you could try:

1.  Buy another one on ebay and hope it lasts longer - you never know.
2.  Try returning it for a refund, as unfit for purpose.
3.  Ask yourself 'how much is my time and effort worth?' to make a better one - certainly more than the most expensive 3D printed model you quote, I am sure.
4.  Buy a 3D printer to manufacture your own TurboCAD design, thus cornering the market in replacement mobile phone car cradles!  8)

Just a few (un/helpful?) thoughts.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* March 05, 2015, 02:46:39 AM
4.  Buy a 3D printer to manufacture your own TurboCAD design, thus cornering the market in replacement mobile phone car cradles!  8)

That's an interesting idea Tim, there are plenty of people out there who like customised / personalised stuff, so a service offering unique designed cradles could be a winner.

Jeff, I can't really comment much on the cradle as I don't have a mobile phone, the design looks good though personally I wouldn't make an expensive one in case when one needs to change the phone (or it breaks) and a new phone is a slightly different size.

Just my thoughts.

March 05, 2015, 03:17:02 AM
I know that I can make a cradle for $15 plus shipping. That is on the low end for commercially-made units, but that is a secondary concern.  It pleases me to design and fabricate things.  I started with jewelry, but there are other things to make.  I just need to know my options.

Jeff

System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

March 05, 2015, 05:25:51 AM

Just another thought,

Perhaps this might be modelled in TC, as parametric part, to suit different phone sizes?
No, I'm not volunteering!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* April 25, 2015, 05:12:51 PM
Not sure if any of the 3d printers do anything like Polypropylene materials yet but by far one of the best repeat bend materials.

* May 25, 2015, 11:48:44 PM
Since the process essentially still is just welding particles or material strands together, the items tend to break, especially sla prints. You can print in metals, but that may be a tad bit too much. But I think that a slip-in-style cradle will work, a snap-on won´t last long.

You may want to browse shapeways for various materials and cradle designs, I bet someone else already thought of printing their own replacement parts ;)

May 26, 2015, 12:31:18 AM
I've had my replacement cradle for a few months, now, and it shows no signs of cracking.  I specified the 'Strong and Flexible' plastic and, while the printed cradle isn't as smooth as I would have liked (hoping for a more 'plastic' feel), it is doing the job for which it was designed.

Jeff