TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

'Compressing' STL files before uploading
Read 1426 times
March 04, 2015, 02:08:59 PM
netfabb basic is a free utility to review and fix your STL files before sending them to a 3D print house.  You can get it here: http://www.netfabb.com/downloadcenter.php?basic=1.

I have been checking it out to fix STL errors in my models, but learned something interesting when I exported the result.

First, a little background: If your model has curves and you want them smooth, you can either set the ACIS Faceter Quality to maximum or you can specify the Expert Faceter Parameters.  Setting Normal Tolerance to a smaller number creates larger, more accurate, files (it specifies the allowable difference between the actual angle of a point on a surface and the value when a flat polygon is used to approximate the surface in that area).

When you export a part from netfabb, you can specify the tolerance as distance instead of angle.  This allows you to adjust the model to your finish requirements, or to the print service you will be using.

I specified the tolerance as 0.001 (inches, in my case, because that's what I was using) and could not see a difference in the resulting image.  The file size, however, dropped from 89 MB to 27 MB.  As several 3D Print Services have file size limitations, this could be quite useful in getting your models under the limit.

You can, of course, adjust the ACIS parameters in TurboCAD before saving as STL, but the settings do not allow you to specify the tolerance as distance (which, to me, is more understandable than angle).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 25, 2015, 11:50:05 PM
Now where is that like button when you need it ...