TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Help needed for "Fillet" / "Setback"
Read 6094 times
* January 15, 2015, 07:39:10 AM
Hi there. Please could someone tell me how to create an offset fillet; I am trying to create a model of a mobile phone. The lower edge of the phone has a smooth fillet which is not symmetrical to the corner.

I've been trying to use "setback", but find that no matter what setback dimensions I put in, it makes absolutely no difference. The fillet is always centred on the corner.

I have attached a screen shot for illustration.

Thanks, Guy.

* January 15, 2015, 07:54:13 AM
Hi there. Please could someone tell me how to create an offset fillet; I am trying to create a model of a mobile phone. The lower edge of the phone has a smooth fillet which is not symmetrical to the corner.

I've been trying to use "setback", but find that no matter what setback dimensions I put in, it makes absolutely no difference. The fillet is always centred on the corner.

Thanks, Guy.

Looks like you want an elliptical fillet. I can think of a couple of possible ways to do it, but whether they'll work for you depends upon the current state of your model. Can you post the .tcw file?

Henry H

* January 15, 2015, 08:34:20 AM

Thanks, Guy.

I see Henry has already posted, but here's my 2 cents. The ellipticall arc was the same idea I had. I started with a rectangle as a temporary guide then selected Elliptical Arc from the ARC toolbar. V SEKE from the lower left corner of the rectangle and v SEKE to the top right. See attached to trim arc.   

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 15, 2015, 10:47:33 AM
How about the "Slice" tool, using the "Slice by Surface" option?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:53:29 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* January 15, 2015, 11:41:36 AM
You can get some limited elliptical fillets in TC, which won't play with the part tree because you're breaking the parametricity, by applying a standard fillet, say around the edge of a cylinder, then scaling its Z size.  It's still a tangent blend, but elliptical.  Quick pull or facet editor can be used to restore the size.  In your example, filleting 10mm then z-scaling .3 will give the blend the parameter that you illustrate.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:15:03 PM by murray dickinson »

* January 15, 2015, 02:17:08 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

I will give your suggestions a go tomorrow. In the meantime here is the TCW file, it is at a very early stage. Quite excited because I have got access to a 3d printer. First time; so I thought I'd have a go at trying to create a cover for my mobile phone.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:56:47 PM by yawningdog »

* January 15, 2015, 06:07:25 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

I will give your suggestions a go tomorrow. In the meantime here is the TCW file, it is at a very early stage. Quite excited because I have got access to a 3d printer. First time; so I thought I'd have a go at trying to create a cover for my mobile phone.

I think that before you go any further, you should redraw the whole thing as a Solid. In the file you posted, it is a "TC Surface" which cannot be filleted or shelled -- and this one cannot even be converted to a Solid (I tried).

Henry H

* January 16, 2015, 07:14:59 AM
Sorry, I accidently posted the wrong file! :-[

That's the one I downloaded from a 3D printing site, and I had exactly the same problem. So I decided to create one from scratch.

Here is the one that I am trying to create.

* January 16, 2015, 08:04:17 AM
I am still having problems in creating this fillet.

I can't seem to work it out. I posted the correct file (previous post), please could someone have a try. I need the fillet to go around the corners, rather than create a mitre. I've tried the suggestions but I would be grateful for a little more advise. Thanks.

* January 16, 2015, 09:56:57 AM
Rounded corner at the bottom makes it a bit tricky. Here's one way...

Henry H

* January 16, 2015, 04:23:38 PM
[EDIT:  The screen-captures and attached TurboCAD file have an error.  The "center-point" of the lofting at the radius corners should be at the same X&Y location as the radius corners' center-points.  -Alvin]

The screen-captures below show something that might work. (? ???)

I can't try it out in my Deluxe.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:48:48 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 16, 2015, 05:20:06 PM
[EDIT:  The screen-capture and attached TurboCAD file have an error.  The "center-point" of the lofting at the radius corners should be at the same X&Y location as the radius corners' center-points.  -Alvin]

Attached is a further development of what I just posted.

It was made in Deluxe, so there are some primitive features, such as the faceting segmenting at the corners; but it gives you an idea of what I was suggesting.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:48:26 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 16, 2015, 08:06:36 PM
I am still having problems in creating this fillet.

I can't seem to work it out. I posted the correct file (previous post), please could someone have a try. I need the fillet to go around the corners, rather than create a mitre. I've tried the suggestions but I would be grateful for a little more advise. Thanks.

What's the possibility of reposting in v.20?

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* January 17, 2015, 02:40:03 AM
Thanks for those great ideas. I'll give them a go, and get back. Here's a version of the file in TC v20.

* January 17, 2015, 04:59:36 AM
Thanks for those great ideas. I'll give them a go, and get back. Here's a version of the file in TC v20.
There's no attachment.!!!

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* January 17, 2015, 06:08:45 AM
Sorry, I need my brain examined!

* January 17, 2015, 09:06:04 AM
Thanks for all your help. Managed to do it via Henry's method. Here's an image of the mobile phone case that I'm going to print out.

I hope it works. Probably not, but there's a first time for everything.

February 27, 2015, 02:26:03 PM
Significantly more advanced than the one I am designing to replace the eBay item that broke after too little service.  Attached is the in-process piece (I had a similar problem with the filleting setback for the phone model).

I still have to fix some errors that prevent proper filleting (a common problem with the way I create parts, I guess).

I suppose I should add that this cradle will fit on a vent mount (that part didn't break) in my car.

Jeff

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:27:47 PM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1