TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

"Failed to Save... Unknown Error" when Saving Certain File as DXF or DWG
Read 3251 times
* December 24, 2014, 04:57:20 PM
Hello All.  Merry Christmas... Happy Holidays.

I just noticed that .tcw files that were/are created from my base Template .tct file (created 10/3/14) are not saving as .dxf nor .dwg.

I'm not having this issue with files created by starting from Scratch, Page Setup Wizard, other Templates, or other .tcw files that were not created by starting with this "Alvin's Base Template" .tct file.

Below is the error-message I keep encountering when I am attempting the "Save As..." (.dxf or .dwg).

Also attached is the Template file; I temporarily changed the extension to .tcw for posting here.  I have some Property Values Presets; a few defined Styles...
    Can anyone see anything that might be causing the issue? 
         Is this issue replicating in your TurboCAD, using my Template?

Thanks for any help.  It's not urgent, so please don't spend any of your Holiday-time on it.   -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 24, 2014, 08:35:22 PM
Hi Alvin merry christmas! :)

Delete the two dimension property value presets then delete the “normal m.s. leader” dimension style then save and exit out of turbo then re -open the file and delete the “m.s. construction dimension” dimension style then save and close turbo and re-open the file and “save copy as”  dwg

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* December 25, 2014, 10:37:30 AM

Thanks Much for digging into that for me Dean.  Your instructions seem to resolve the issue.  -Alvin

(Is there anything to be learned here on how to mitigate this occurring?... what it is about those Presets and Styles that causes the issue?)

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 25, 2014, 11:08:34 AM
Seems to be an issue(s) within the two Dimension Styles.

When I change the two Dimension Property Values Presets' Styles to "Standard"; >Save;  >Close;  >re-Open;  >Delete the two Dimension Styles-- I can then Save as .dxf or .dwg.

Not too big of a deal; I can always delete these Styles before Saving as .dxf or .dwg when I have to share the .tcw with someone that needs the other file-types.
But it'd just be good to know what it is about these Dimension Styles that is causing the issue-- so I can change it, and/or in the future refrain from using whatever it is that's causing the problem.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:11:59 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 25, 2014, 11:30:04 AM
Hi Alvin,
 Dwg format is native autocad. The dimension and text styles you create in the style manager are written in the DWG file. Autocad will recognize these. Turbo’s Property vale presets are native to Turbocad, Auto cad will not see these. Somehow your Property value presets or dimension styles got corrupt, I didn’t investigate it.Try making new ones. You might want to send that file to support.
When I’m working, most of the time I use either PVP’s or styles I rarely mix the two due to the in consistent updating of data between the two. Sometimes you got to kick it in the arse to get it to update.In my testing though what does work and stick is you need to start with the values in the PVP’s matching the values in the style you are using and only make your changes from the style manager or create new PVP’s and a style. It can be confusing at times, so many options are available, just wait until you get the platinum version!

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* December 25, 2014, 11:40:39 AM
Hi Alvin,
 Dwg format is native autocad. The dimension and text styles you create in the style manager are written in the DWG file. Autocad will recognize these. Turbo’s Property vale presets are native to Turbocad, Auto cad will not see these. Somehow your Property value presets or dimension styles got corrupt, I didn’t investigate it.Try making new ones. You might want to send that file to support.
When I’m working, most of the time I use either PVP’s or styles I rarely mix the two due to the in consistent updating of data between the two. Sometimes you got to kick it in the arse to get it to update.In my testing though what does work and stick is you need to start with the values in the PVP’s matching the values in the style you are using and only make your changes from the style manager or create new PVP’s and a style. It can be confusing at times, so many options are available, just wait until you get the platinum version!

Real good.  Thanks for the feedback Dean.

In my efforts to isolate the issue, I did find that doing nothing more than Deleting the Dimension Style "M.S. Construction Dimension" (after first changing the PPV "Construction Dims.- M.S." to the "Standard" Style) alleviates the issue.
I will try editing my Template, deleting and creating a new "Construction Dimension" Style, starting with the "Standard" Style.
____
For the longest time, I was overwhelmed and hesitant to use "Styles".  Still am.  So much to set... and the Style Manager behaves kind of weird (kinda flickery) when I'm editing the settings.  I know I should use "Styles" more, over Property Values Presets, but for those two reasons, I oftentimes elect not to do so.  Plus, I can quickly select a PVP in the Property Toolbar, but not so quickly select a Style.

~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio