TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

How do you rotate view 90 degrees?
Read 5274 times
* December 07, 2014, 02:17:04 AM
Hi.

I am working on a rectangular 3D object that is out of alignment from the normal "front", "rear" etc views. I have managed to create a new view towards one of the faces by using the "workplane by facet" tool, and then creating the view by going to "view>camera>plan>by workplane". This method is OK but the view sometimes needs to be rotated by repeating the previous steps with a dummy cube, and rotating it a few times...blah blah.

Anyway, how do I create a new view that is 90 degrees from the view I created as above? I don't want to repeat the hassle above. I want to new create side & rear views easily.

Just as a reminder, this is all out of alignment from the standard views and workplane.

Thanks.

* December 07, 2014, 03:07:01 AM
Hi.

I am working on a rectangular 3D object that is out of alignment from the normal "front", "rear" etc views. I have managed to create a new view towards one of the faces by using the "workplane by facet" tool, and then creating the view by going to "view>camera>plan>by workplane". This method is OK but the view sometimes needs to be rotated by repeating the previous steps with a dummy cube, and rotating it a few times...blah blah.

Anyway, how do I create a new view that is 90 degrees from the view I created as above? I don't want to repeat the hassle above. I want to new create side & rear views easily.

Just as a reminder, this is all out of alignment from the standard views and workplane.

Thanks.

Reset the 3D Properties to reflect the attached and then select the cube. The Inspector bar will show what the angles are and you should be able rotate it as needed. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:52:03 AM by DonCW »

DonCW

2018 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* December 07, 2014, 08:02:35 AM
Hi.

Thanks.

Are you familiar with (Create) Named Views?  These are views that the User "creates", and assigns a Name to, for future easy-getting-back-to.

~Alvin

[EDIT]:  Just looked at some of your past Posts, yawningdog-- including your Gallery contributions "South Sway Farm Renovation.pdf" and "Some bits & bobs" thread-- and, obviously, you are a knowledgeable and capable TurboCADer and know about Named Views.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:46:04 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 07, 2014, 09:54:55 AM
re: …how do I create a new view that is 90 degrees from the view I created as above?

Use "Shift+Left" or "Shift+Up" to roll the camera counter-clockwise 22.5°
Use "Shift+Right" or "Shift+Down" to roll the camera clockwise 22.5°.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 07, 2014, 10:03:07 AM
Hi.

Thanks.

I can't come up with a better way than (similar to) what you described (quote above).

Other than, I don't see that it is necessary to create a "dummy cube" each time you want to set a new Workplane by Facet; and I don't see why it would be necessary to be "rotating it a few times...".
   Just Workplane by Facet-- using the Page-Down and Page-Up keys if necessary; then UCS Plan (that's the "View/Camera/Plan/byWorkplane" Command; I keep an icon of it on my Local Menu, in a Pop-Up Toolbar); then Create a new Named View.

Downside is:  If editing the 3D "rectangular" Object-- such as moving, rotating, scaling, etc.-- all some of the Workplanes and Named Views would have to be Updated accordingly.

~Alvin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:37:08 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 07, 2014, 10:37:58 AM
See if you can find a copy of "viewsucs.dll" and place it in TCad's Program\Draggers folder. A new toolbar will appear in your TCad installation, presenting an array of icons which are cubes each with a different face highlighted. These faces represent orthographic views that are based upon your current Workplane. After establishing a Workplane -- "By Facet" if you like -- just click one of the icons and you're switched automatically to a Right Side, Left Side, Top, Bottom, Front, or Back view of your current Workplane.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:04:31 AM by Henry Hubich »

* December 07, 2014, 11:36:04 AM
Thank you for your replies...

Henry's file "viewsucs.dll" sounds really great but I can't find it anywhere...John R's method of using shift+arrow key helps me a great deal, thanks. I also tried ctrl+ arrow keys which almost does the job perfectly, but the rotation degree seems absolutely bizarre, I can't see the sense in it.

Thanks also Alvin: I think Don's method would rotate the object, not the view?

Guy

* December 07, 2014, 11:45:27 AM
re: …"viewsucs.dll" sounds really great but I can't find it anywhere…

See below.

Unzip into the "Draggers" folder, such as "C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCWP21\Program\Draggers".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:53:37 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 07, 2014, 03:52:50 PM
Doesn't work in 64-bit.  Toolbar's available, functions aren't.   My workaround's setting and using named workplanes from a box/cube  rather than named views, because ctrl+shift+W (plan view by WP) zooms extents whereas named views don't.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:55:22 PM by murray dickinson »

* December 07, 2014, 04:04:31 PM
See if you can find a copy of "viewsucs.dll" and place it in TCad's Program\Draggers folder. A new toolbar will appear in your TCad installation, presenting an array of icons which are cubes each with a different face highlighted. These faces represent orthographic views that are based upon your current Workplane. After establishing a Workplane -- "By Facet" if you like -- just click one of the icons and you're switched automatically to a Right Side, Left Side, Top, Bottom, Front, or Back view of your current Workplane.

Henry H
re: …"viewsucs.dll" sounds really great but I can't find it anywhere…

See below.

Unzip into the "Draggers" folder, such as "C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCWP21\Program\Draggers".

Thanks Henry and John-- for the suggestion and providing the viewsucs.dll file.

Do you think it will work in version-19.2-Deluxe?  I placed a copy of the viewsucs.dll file John provided in my "Draggers" folder-- with TurboCAD not running-- but I don't see a "new toolbar appear in [my] TCad installation".
Where and how do you think it is supposed to appear?

Never mind... I found them.  Jut got in a hurry and didn't look hard enough.  Works like a champ!!

Thanks you two- Alvin

I am always amazed at how you guys know all this "hidden" stuff. :P   And I wonder what Henry meant by "See if you can find a copy of "viewsucs.dll"..."; and where John found the one he provided.
Now that I think of it, I have run into these Commands/icons before; just never thought to experiment with what they do.  I see them now in my list of Commands, which I could use to build a Toolbar with if John hadn't proved the .dll file.  Do you think these Commands/icons were in my Command list prior to my inserting that viewsucs.dll file into my "Draggers" folder?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:21:53 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 07, 2014, 04:16:08 PM
Well waddya know?  I must've cocked things up last time I tried it.   That's gratifying.  Thanks for setting me straight, expert users.

* December 07, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
Well waddya know?  I must've cocked things up last time I tried it.   That's gratifying.  Thanks for setting me straight, expert users.

For me-- version-19.2-Deluxe-- they only work in Wireframe.  That is to say, they will only become available to switch Views while in Wireframe; once the View is switched, I can use any Visual (Render) Style.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* December 07, 2014, 05:04:45 PM
Attached is a little file I created, if anyone wants to use it for experimenting.

Took me a little while to create it, so I figured I'd save others the time.

"View 1", in Named Views, is supposed to be named "Rectangle Object: Left Side", but no matter how many times I changed its name, the little sucker keeps reverting back to the name "View 1".

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:07:00 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio