TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Lightworks wood grain direction shift
Read 3928 times
* November 30, 2014, 09:27:55 AM
Attached is a two part drawing. I place the default cherry wood on both pieces and change the grain direction to Y axis. However the second smaller piece grain stays in the X axis. What am I doing wrong? :P

Mike James
TurboCAD Pro 21.2 Platinum 64
Asus i7-3612QM 12gb ram

* November 30, 2014, 11:00:15 AM
The axis directions refer to the Workplane of the object itself, which in your drawing is not the same for the two objects in the drawing. The WP of the larger object, in which the grain direction is where you want it, is the World WP. You need to change the WP of the other object to the World WP, which is done as follows: With the World WP as the current WP (press Ctrl+Alt+W), draw a tiny sphere, move it to the Center of Extents of the smaller object, and 3D-Add it to that object, being sure to click on the sphere first.

Henry H

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:02:05 AM by Henry Hubich »

November 30, 2014, 11:20:02 AM
Here is a link to a TurboCAD tip about this. It should still be applicable to V21.

http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD%20Tips/TurboCAD%20Tip%206.pdf

* November 30, 2014, 11:20:34 AM
Attached is a two part drawing. I place the default cherry wood on both pieces and change the grain direction to Y axis. However the second smaller piece grain stays in the X axis. What am I doing wrong? :P

Or >
without changing any workplanes >
Are you referring to the “simple extrude”?
In the render manager right click on the cherry material and choose “copy material here”. Change the name and adjust the trunk direction as seen in the attached image. Apply the new cherry material to the simple extrude.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* December 01, 2014, 05:31:56 AM
Thank you Henry, Don and Dean. Henry's suggestion worked fine. I like to keep all my drawings set to the World Plan. I don't know how the extruded solid became something other than the WP. How do I see that the second piece is not in the WP?

Mike James
Asus i7-3612QM 12gb ram

* December 01, 2014, 09:06:45 AM
Thank you Henry, Don and Dean. Henry's suggestion worked fine. I like to keep all my drawings set to the World Plan. I don't know how the extruded solid became something other than the WP. How do I see that the second piece is not in the WP?

How I do it: Click the "Selector 3D properties" icon on the Inspector Bar; set Extents CS to "Entity CS" and Inspector Bar CS to "Extents CS." In the Workplane Toolbar (which you can place on your desktop via View>Toolbars if it's not already there), click on "Workplane by Entity" and then click on an object whose WP you wish to determine. Click again on that object and the X, Y, & Z axes attached to the selection box will be those of the object's WP.

Henry H

* December 02, 2014, 09:31:05 AM
So any part I build will take on the coordinate system of the work plane it is built from? If I want a part in World plan coordinates, I must build it on a World plan work plane? Is the World Coordinate System WCS, World plan and Absolute Coordinates the same thing? In my previous post I confused WP (work plane) with World Plan.

Mike James
Asus i7-3612QM 12gb ram

* December 02, 2014, 10:21:40 AM
So any part I build will take on the coordinate system of the work plane it is built from? If I want a part in World plan coordinates, I must build it on a World plan work plane? Is the World Coordinate System WCS, World plan and Absolute Coordinates the same thing? In my previous post I confused WP (work plane) with World Plan.

Yeah, but unfortunately it's more complicated than that, 'cuz the definition of an object's axes depends upon how the object is created. For example, the attached screenshot shows two cylinders, both created on the World Workplane -- one created by extruding the red circle, and the other by revolving the green rectangle. They both have the same Material (in which the Trunk Direction is essentially parallel to the Z axis). I think most of us would expect the Z axis of a circular cylinder to be the axis of symmetry, but in TCad that's not necessarily so.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:26:52 AM by Henry Hubich »