TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Objects with Luminance: Luminance Location Coordinates
Read 15731 times
* November 26, 2014, 11:24:30 AM
Like I say, just inconsistencies.

I worked with your Drawing Henry, and it behaved as it should.

Then I went back to my "2nd Den Desk" Drawing, which I created from scratch last night.  Very basic and simple.
>The bottom of the legs of the Workplane are centered around-- equidistant from-- 0,0,0 World CS.
>CS=World
>Inserted a Sphere, Luminance assigned beforehand, using your Single/"Spot_White" Luminance.  First Snap=0,0,0; Diameter=1"
>Of course, since it is on the floor, no illumination visible.
>I moved the Sphere, Middle-Snapping to the front-edge of that middle shelf.  Result: No spotlight on the counter-top; a little weird something was visible.
>Turned off or deleted all lights and Objects with Luminance.
>Pitch black, except: (This is odd; I hope you can offer an explanation) The sphere itself was illuminated.  A little white ball in the darkness.
>So I figured, "heck, I'll go into that Luminance Properties and lower the location a little, and lower the 'To' correspondingly"... just to get the light out of the Sphere.
>Sure enough, in the black darkness, there is a little white glowing Sphere and it's Spot illumination on the counter-top.

?

-Alvin

Your new drawing is working just as it should, Alvin. I see that you figured out why the white sphere shows up. Its Luminance doesn't function entirely correctly because it's partly buried in the shelf. Move it down half an inch and it'll cast a spot on the shelf below.

Henry H

* November 26, 2014, 11:32:00 AM
An oddity that I need to get a handle on:

I messed with your-- Henry's-- Single/Spot_White Luminance.  I wanted to get it back.
So I closed all open Drawings, not Saving any.

I opened Henry's "Luminance Test" file, and was prompted for the "Replace, Replace All..." options due to already having a Single/Spot_White Luminance.  I selected "Replace".

>In that file, I selected the Cone that had that Luminance.
>I went to Edit Luminance.
>Its "Location" was 0,0,0; its "To" was 0,0,-10-- presumably how Henry left it

>I opened my "2nd Den Desk file"
>I got the same message regarding the Luminance Single Category already had "Spot_White" Luminance.  "Replace?...".  I clicked Replace.
>I selected my Sphere that has that Spot_White Luminance
>Went to Edit Luminance
>Location= 0,0,-1  ...negative1 ....what the heck?  ("To" stayed the same at 0,0,-10)

[EDIT]
>Went back to Henry's Drawing
>That Single/Spot_White Luminance Location now is 0,0,-1

Can you explain that Henry?

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:34:33 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 26, 2014, 11:42:28 AM
An oddity that I need to get a handle on:

I messed with your-- Henry's-- Single/Spot_White Luminance.  I wanted to get it back.
So I closed all open Drawings, not Saving any.

I opened Henry's "Luminance Test" file, and was prompted for the "Replace, Replace All..." options due to already having a Single/Spot_White Luminance.  I selected "Replace".

>In that file, I selected the Cone that had that Luminance.
>I went to Edit Luminance.
>Its "Location" was 0,0,0; its "To" was 0,0,-10-- presumably how Henry left it

>I opened my "2nd Den Desk file"
>I got the same message regarding the Luminance Single Category already had "Spot_White" Luminance.  "Replace?...".  I clicked Replace.
>I selected my Sphere that has that Spot_White Luminance
>Went to Edit Luminance
>Location= 0,0,-1  ...negative1 ....what the heck?  ("To" stayed the same at 0,0,-10)

[EDIT]
>Went back to Henry's Drawing
>That Single/Spot_White Luminance Location now is 0,0,-1

Can you explain that Henry?

Thanks, Alvin

Never mind.  I figured it out.  When I opened my "2nd Den Desk" Drawing and got the message, I should have selected "Skip" or "Rename".

My head is getting a little muttled and confused with all this. :o  ~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 26, 2014, 11:46:40 AM

Your new drawing is working just as it should, Alvin. I see that you figured out why the white sphere shows up. Its Luminance doesn't function entirely correctly because it's partly buried in the shelf. Move it down half an inch and it'll cast a spot on the shelf below.

Henry H

Yes.  I see it now.

I think I have somewhat of a handle on it now.  I have been illuminated, so to speak.

This Topic and all of all of your guys' hard work has been very helpful to me.  I'm not as hesitant to try this now.

Thanks All!!  Thanks Henry!! ~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* November 26, 2014, 03:26:18 PM
What Darrel was stating is in effect as well.

If-- for whatever reason-- the illumination is off from the Object's location, the smaller I make the Object, the less of a distance the illumination is off.

~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* November 26, 2014, 05:20:07 PM
Using the Object with Luminance assigned as an External Reference in another Drawing doesn't work; the Luminance assignment doesn't come with the XRef.   In version-19-Deluxe, anyway.

That's okay.  Shoot-- with Deluxe, I'm content just to be able to have a handle on this and be able to use it.

I can use the Symbol method instead of the XRef method.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

November 27, 2014, 12:41:41 AM
Good to hear that you have it sussed out Alvin

Henry's tip 0,0,0 coordinates makes sense.

I have just tried something. If I explode a TC Box (So Its just a TC Surface and no longer associated to a TurboCAD primitive) before applying the Luminance it is working from the centre of extents. This must clear the objects creation coordinates so this could be another workaround.

Daz...
V2018 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* November 27, 2014, 04:02:01 PM
Good to hear that you have it sussed out Alvin

Henry's tip 0,0,0 coordinates makes sense.

I have just tried something. If I explode a TC Box (So Its just a TC Surface and no longer associated to a TurboCAD primitive) before applying the Luminance it is working from the centre of extents. This must clear the objects creation coordinates so this could be another workaround.

Hi Darrel.  Thanks for that.

I gave it a try in version-19-Deluxe, and, unfortunately, it doesn't work.  Unless, the Object is teeny-tiny.

That's allright; I can live with the other workaround(s).

~Alvin

Alvin Gregorio