TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Setting up multiple pivot points for rotation
Read 4213 times
* October 24, 2014, 06:06:50 AM
Relatively new to TurboCAD. I am trying to do a folding study on a apparatus I'm working on. Eventually there will be connected round tubes. But right now trying to do a 2D line study where I have a line representing a tube. 4 lines connected at certain points that I want to pivot/rotate/fold together to see if any one line binds on another. Then I can keep adjusting pivot locations until I have the right combination. All 4 lines need to act in unison. Any help appreciated!

* October 24, 2014, 08:51:49 AM
Sounds like a four-bar linkage. If you have a Pro version of TCad, the proper use of Constraints is the way to go. Be warned, however, that it's a bit tricky. Read about "Constraining Geometry" in the Help file.

Henry H

* October 24, 2014, 11:08:21 AM
Henry, Just got V20 Pro. I have attached a jpg of what I am trying to do. The 2 pivot points that are offset are because a bracket will attache these tubes where as the other 2 are straight on center connections. Thanks

I have not used constraints yet in TC but know what they are. Makes sense that constraints would be involved. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:25:33 PM by TonyG7 »

* October 25, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Here's a drawing that embodies my suggestion. I inserted your image, without regard to its size, and traced it to create the new components. While the proportions are about right, the overall scale is purely arbitrary.

Select any line segment and rotate it, and you'll see all the rest of the components following along.

To modify the design, first return everything to approximately its original configuration. Turn on the Layers that contain the component(s) to be modified (including the correspondng "Hidden" and "Dims" Layers). Press the F2 key to access the Variables palette. In the drawing, select the dimension to be modified, whereupon it will be highlighted in the Variables palette. Click in the Value box, type a new value, and press Enter. The drawing will update automatically. (I recommend making small changes, to lessen the chance of screwing things up.)

* October 25, 2014, 11:52:09 AM
If you want the thing to fold nearly flat, I think you'll have to either relocate at least one of the joints or make it capable of sliding as well as pivoting.

Henry H
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:23:25 PM by Henry Hubich »

* October 25, 2014, 06:48:09 PM
That's awesome Henry. Thanks! Your right about trying to get flat. I have not studied the constraint geometry yet but will. Thanks again for your help.

* October 26, 2014, 09:48:20 AM
How should I rotate the parts again? I thought I was before but was just flipping along it's axis.

* October 26, 2014, 10:55:31 AM
I got it now.  But having hard time using constraints. Thanks

* October 27, 2014, 06:51:43 PM
Henry,

I am having trouble with your original mockup. Wanted to know if this can be constrained "as-is" and if not why? I made each leg its own group. Thanks :o

* October 28, 2014, 08:53:16 AM
Henry,

I am having trouble with your original mockup. Wanted to know if this can be constrained "as-is" and if not why? I made each leg its own group. Thanks :o

Yeah, I'm having trouble with it, too. I'll try to get back to you later with good news. (Did I mention that Constraints are tricky?)

Henry H

* October 28, 2014, 11:35:11 AM
I don't feel so bad now. Thanks!

* November 05, 2014, 09:18:57 AM
Henry,

Did you have any luck with my fold study? Thanks, Tony

* November 05, 2014, 10:38:52 AM
Henry,

Did you have any luck with my fold study? Thanks, Tony

Thanks for the wake-up. I worked on it for a while, and then sorta forgot about it. Pretty much decided that Constraints aren't worth the trouble, but there is another approach I want to try.

Henry H

* November 05, 2014, 11:35:33 AM
No problem. Thanks Henry! I saw your drafting compass rendering. That is awesome. Tony

* November 07, 2014, 08:57:55 AM
Here are two somewhat different approaches to your problem...

Henry H

* November 07, 2014, 09:37:36 AM
Henry, The second (R side) one is the closest to what I need to do. Can I see the TC file in order to see how you set it up and experiment with it? The 1st one won't work for me. Thanks, Tony

* November 07, 2014, 02:03:56 PM
Henry, The second (R side) one is the closest to what I need to do. Can I see the TC file in order to see how you set it up and experiment with it? The 1st one won't work for me. Thanks, Tony

Here ya go, Tony...

Henry H

* November 08, 2014, 03:28:17 AM
Thanks Henry! Let me take a look.