TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Gable Roof
Read 6303 times
* September 14, 2014, 09:08:28 AM
I have just purchased v16.2 I know its way behind the current version but in general it does everything that I need EXCEPT.

I do not know how to draw a gable roof in 3D, my version manual says (and shows) that you can change the angle of the roof but that item is just not in the version, it does not show up in practice.

I am trying to draw an intersection of two roofs in order to understand and measure the Valley and Hip Rafters.

Any advice appreciated.

* September 14, 2014, 09:34:12 AM
See the topic: Gable dormer. It may be helpful and it just happens to have a V16 drawing in it.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* September 14, 2014, 10:54:57 AM
I have just purchased v16.2 I know its way behind the current version but in general it does everything that I need EXCEPT.

I do not know how to draw a gable roof in 3D, my version manual says (and shows) that you can change the angle of the roof but that item is just not in the version, it does not show up in practice.

I am trying to draw an intersection of two roofs in order to understand and measure the Valley and Hip Rafters.

Any advice appreciated.

Do you have version-16.2 Deluxe, or a Pro version?

In my version-19.2-Deluxe, I do not have the "Edit [Roof] Slope Angle" Tool.  As least not what I can find in any Workspace configurations or in the list of customizable Commands.  I doubt that it is an available feature in my version-19-Deluxe; so, presumably, it would not be in version-16.2-Deluxe(?)
____
What I do, in version-19.2-Deluxe, is make the [default] Hip roof much larger than it needs to be-- such that the Hip apex is past the intended gable overhang-- then, in Plan View, 3D Boolean Slice to create the Gable.

[EDIT]:  See my next Reply for an illustration.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:30:11 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 14, 2014, 11:32:20 AM
An illustration attempting to explain my suggested "workaround" (for Deluxe users that do not have the "Edit Slope [Roof] Angle" Command) in Reply #3 is attached herewith.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:34:16 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 14, 2014, 12:19:58 PM
Another workaround in Deluxe is to Explode the roof (Format>Explode), select it with the Edit tool, and move the nodes at the peaks until they're directly above the side walls. The attached screenshot shows a Plan view in which the left-hand nodes have been relocated and the right-hand nodes are about to be moved.

Henry H

* September 14, 2014, 12:51:57 PM
Another workaround in Deluxe is to Explode the roof (Format>Explode), select it with the Edit tool, and move the nodes at the peaks until they're directly above the side walls. The attached screenshot shows a Plan view in which the left-hand nodes have been relocated and the right-hand nodes are about to be moved.

Henry H

Yeah, that's a good Workaround.  Especially considering, in anything but the most basic of Roofs, we're going to end up Exploding or otherwise causing the Entity to be a TC Surface Object (in Deluxe) in pretty short order.

Note:  Henry's illustration/example does not show an overhang (right Henry).  I'm used to Gables with overhangs in my part of the world.  I would say +98% of gables in my area have overhangs... anywhere from 12" to 24".

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* September 14, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

Henry H

Just tried your method Henry.   After Exploding the Roof, using the Edit Node "drag window", I selected both the top and bottom nodes of my peak (my Roof had a Thickness of 8").  I locked the Z-axis, and used a Construction Line (on the ridge) to facilitate an Intersection Snap to the side-walls eaves lines; I could have just Middle-Snapped to the side-wall eaves "fascia"-line.

Problem:  The hips' fascia-lines/facets are still present at the side-walls eaves.  Do you get that Henry?  If not, can you show us a 3D view of your model, after executing your procedure, and tell us how you eliminated the issue just described.

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:18:07 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* September 14, 2014, 05:41:54 PM

Henry H

Just tried your method Henry.   After Exploding the Roof, using the Edit Node "drag window", I selected both the top and bottom nodes of my peak (my Roof had a Thickness of 8").  I locked the Z-axis, and used a Construction Line (on the ridge) to facilitate an Intersection Snap to the side-walls eaves lines; I could have just Middle-Snapped to the side-wall eaves "fascia"-line.

Problem:  The hips' fascia-lines/facets are still present at the side-walls eaves.  Do you get that Henry? If not, can you show us a 3D view of your model, after executing your procedure, and tell us how you eliminated the issue just described.

Thanks, Alvin

Yup, I do get that, Alvin. I suspect that the cleanest approach to the overall problem in Deluxe is not to use its wimpy Roof tool at all, but to create the object as one or more extrusions.

Henry H

* September 14, 2014, 11:00:36 PM
re: …I suspect that the cleanest approach to the overall problem in Deluxe is not to use its wimpy Roof tool at all, but to create the object as one or more extrusions.

I'll agree with that. I extruded the green profiles, then 3D Added them to make a "solid" roof. I then extruded and added the orange profiles to make a subtraction object. Subtracted. Now I've got a roof with 90° ends. I used a regular roof to set up the workplanes for the profiles, then turned it off.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* February 22, 2015, 10:22:35 AM
my roof in 2-d lesson nine ends up on bottom instead of walls.Im using windows 8.1 .Deluxe 21 also

* February 23, 2015, 09:58:06 PM
You need to change the work plane to the top of the wall before you draw the roof. or you can move the roof along the z axis, the height of the wall

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 24, 2015, 10:34:21 AM
Thanks been years since I have used turbocad.I have,or had v-4,5,6,7,8,and 10 pro.Trying to familiarize again.

* March 14, 2015, 11:56:00 AM
I'm haven't got into architectural drawings as of yet, but will need to learn some (doing Don's v16 Frame Structural Tutorial) for a future building project. I was wondering if the new Roofing capabilities of TC 2015 is satisfying the wishes of the building guru's.

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.