TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Viewport borders not saving to PDf or JPG right
Read 7048 times
* September 04, 2014, 04:00:31 PM
  Please help! I am creating some instructions for a product using the model space to draw the item. Then using viewports in paper space at different angles on different parts to show how to assemble the item. There are 4 viewports on my paper space.
Having troubles getting the viewport borders to save right. Tried it both ways, turning off the viewport box and drawing one around viewport and using the viewport box. Some viewports have fatter lines some come out dotted line. What I see on the screen is okay after redraw a couple times, just won't save to PDF or JPG right. This a huge file and takes forever to render and save. Sometimes it saves with out the viewport contents only the text I have written over the viewport. There is something wrong with how this drawing is rendering and can't get past it. I am using the highest quality render and the file is huge, maybe not enough memory available to do it's thing?
I am reluctant to show the file, not sure I know enough about this to properly tell you what is wrong. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:20:27 AM by fastmike75 »

September 04, 2014, 06:26:23 PM
I would suggest printing to PDF, not saving. You will need a third party PDF program (Acrobat, edoc printer PDF pro, or some freeware version, of which there are lots). You should have success. Also make sure your text is above the viewport so it is not blocked by the rendered viewport (bring to front or use Shift + Page Up with the text selected.)

* September 06, 2014, 10:01:26 AM
Still stumped. I have tried everything I know to do and still having problems. Seems to be a software glitch. I have attached two copies of the pdf file saved with the viewport borders on and off. When turned off (G) they do some dotted, some solid and some gone. When borders are ticked on in viewport properies (F) they are not the same size line all around. I have been it touch with TurboCad support and they suggested using the cache for the viewports which really speeded up compiling but still have this viewport border problem. I am using the standard PDF software that is on my computer. Is there an alternative? Appreciate your help.

* September 06, 2014, 11:02:00 AM
Tried downloading the edoc pro printer. Doesn't help. Is there a place to tell TurboCAD 19 pro plat what PDF software to use when compiling the paper space? I did find some stuff on the page setup that has printer resolutions but not choices for software. Is the software that makes the PDF file in the TurboCAD program or is it in another place that can be changed or adjusted? thanks.

September 06, 2014, 11:02:40 AM
Still stumped. I have tried everything I know to do and still having problems. Seems to be a software glitch. I have attached two copies of the pdf file saved with the viewport borders on and off. When turned off (G) they do some dotted, some solid and some gone. When borders are ticked on in viewport properies (F) they are not the same size line all around. I have been it touch with TurboCad support and they suggested using the cache for the viewports which really speeded up compiling but still have this viewport border problem. I am using the standard PDF software that is on my computer. Is there an alternative? Appreciate your help.

Can you post the TurboCAD file? That may help to decipher issues. I create all manner of assembly manuals and I don't ever run into this issue. I am still betting it is the PDF software/saving or some setting within.

September 06, 2014, 11:04:23 AM
Tried downloading the edoc pro printer. Doesn't help. Is there a place to tell TurboCAD 19 pro plat what PDF software to use when compiling the paper space? I did find some stuff on the page setup that has printer resolutions but not choices for software. Is the software that makes the PDF file in the TurboCAD program or is it in another place that can be changed or adjusted? thanks.

You have to select Print and select edoc as the printer. I'll post some shot in a bit.

* September 06, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
The TCW file for this drawing on my computer is 10,088KB. Will that size of a file download on the this site?  The size jumped when I ticked the cache in viewport.

September 06, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
The TCW file for this drawing on my computer is 10,088KB. Will that size of a file download on the this site?  The size jumped when I ticked the cache in viewport.

Do you ever use Hightail to share large files? You can email it to yourself and then post the link here for us to download. I use Hightail often, it is reliable and safe. https://www.hightail.com/login?orig_pg=sign

* September 06, 2014, 11:26:06 AM
Used Filezilla a few years ago to send video and music files, probably about the same thing. Is it a big deal to sign up and do it?

September 06, 2014, 11:37:45 AM
Used Filezilla a few years ago to send video and music files, probably about the same thing. Is it a big deal to sign up and do it?

It is not like Filezilla at all. You will need to sign up but it is just a matter of selecting a file to send.

September 06, 2014, 11:53:24 AM
See if this video helps.

(opens with Quicktime viewer or just drag the file to Google Chrome browser if you have it and it will play automatically)

[attachment deleted by admin]

* September 06, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
Alvin can you clarify. I am using TurboCad 19 Pro Plat, All I see under view is "update viewport boundaries". That did not help. Nothing about boundaries in the viewport properties. Can you tell me where to find what the boundary is and where the "Image boundaries are". There are so many setting in so many places! If you can point me in a direction, I will study some of the setting and what they do. I am sure that is all that is wrong is there is something set wrong somewhere. Thank you so much for your help!

* September 06, 2014, 12:01:07 PM
Alvin can you clarify. I am using TurboCad 19 Pro Plat, All I see under view is "update viewport boundaries". That did not help. Nothing about boundaries in the viewport properties. Can you tell me where to find what the boundary is and where the "Image boundaries are". There are so many setting in so many places! If you can point me in a direction, I will study some of the setting and what they do. I am sure that is all that is wrong is there is something set wrong somewhere. Thank you so much for your help!

Better use of time-- and in the sake of efficiency-- to work on figuring out a way of uploading/sharing the Drawing file, as Don is suggesting. -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 06, 2014, 12:07:49 PM
tried the edoc PDF printer and it did not solve the problem. Border lines are still different. It is in the way the file is made into a PDF not the way it prints.

I will try to get the TCW file on a site to get to you Thanks.

* September 06, 2014, 12:23:19 PM
Okay I signed up for Hightail but I have no idea what to do now. I see where I can send a file. Where do I send it too? What do I do from here to get this TCW file to you to look at? Thanks.

September 06, 2014, 01:26:03 PM
Okay I signed up for Hightail but I have no idea what to do now. I see where I can send a file. Where do I send it too? What do I do from here to get this TCW file to you to look at? Thanks.

Put your own email in the address to send it to. It will upload and you will receive a download link. Copy and paste the link to a reply in this discussion.

* September 06, 2014, 01:44:28 PM
Sorry, I uninstalled Hightail. Will not give anyone remote access to my computer. Didn't realize what this was.
I am giving up after three days. The darn thing will just have to have uneven lines. I tried every tick and button that I can find that has anything to do with rendering, viewports and borders. It is hidden what ever it is.
All I can say is TurboCAD is one of the most complicated programs I have ever used. Hope it will get easier as I go. Drawing in 3D was pretty easy, but this paper space is giving me fits! Writing computer software is easier! Thank you for your help!

September 06, 2014, 01:51:38 PM
Sorry, I uninstalled Hightail. Will not give anyone remote access to my computer. Didn't realize what this was.
I am giving up after three days. The darn thing will just have to have uneven lines. I tried every tick and button that I can find that has anything to do with rendering, viewports and borders. It is hidden what ever it is.
All I can say is TurboCAD is one of the most complicated programs I have ever used. Hope it will get easier as I go. Drawing in 3D was pretty easy, but this paper space is giving me fits! Writing computer software is easier! Thank you for your help!

Using Hightail and supplying a download link is not giving anyone remote access to your computer. Hopefully you can get your drawing issue sorted some other way.

* September 06, 2014, 06:30:51 PM
Don, sorry, the Hightail program ticked my remote access button on in windows setup loading it. An embedded program was using up about 10% of computers memory and was doing something long after it would have sent the file. Just do not trust stuff like that.

Anyway, now I am having trouble with the other file, drawing stuff in paper space that isn't there in model space. TurboCAD is wonderful for drawing stuff to 3D print. But there is definitely something wrong with this program in paperspace. Will have to find another way to get this done. I do appreciate you trying to help. 

September 07, 2014, 02:20:53 AM
Hi,

just a quick suggestion - you don't need to use paper space to print your drawings.  It's feasible to arrange your drawing within model space and print from there.  I have used this method many times with little difficulty.  It might be worth considering, as an easier alternative.

Just my two pence/cents worth.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* September 07, 2014, 11:00:21 AM
I do finally have some good news. When making the views/viewports, I had three or four of them that I was not using in named views. I deleted all of the ones i was not using. It cut the size of file down to 8.7MB instead of 10MB. With the viewports saved in cache, toggling the the viewport cache properties back and forth between automatic and manual draw a couple times, it will now draw the view as it is supposed to. Compile time was really cut also with cache. I think it was rendering all of those viewports I was not using and it was just too much. Working better now. Operator error!

Still have the thicker lines on all of the viewport borders right and bottom sides when saved to PDF. But I can live with it. Thank all of you very much for your help and patience!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:01:16 PM by fastmike75 »