TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

USB hanger
Read 4933 times
August 31, 2014, 04:15:16 PM
Hi all my TCAD friends,

I recently decided to design a tool to hold the myriad of USB cables I have, that keep getting tangled.  I wanted a holder that would allow them to hang straight and untangled, off the side of my desk, without damaging the desk.  I decided on this weighted design.  I then submitted it to the nice people at Quirky for possibly being put into production for others to use as well.  If you have a few moments I would appreciate you going to the website https://www.quirky.com/invent/1364325/action/vote/query/view=trending&categories=all and adding a positive comment under "community comments".  You'll need to make a Quirky account (the easiest way is to login using your Facebook account).  Positive comments help the Quirky team decide if  product is worth producing.  I designed and rendered the hanger using TCAD Pro 20.  Either way, let me know what you think here...

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

* August 31, 2014, 04:18:29 PM
I think that's a great idea, but IMO it looks a bit clunky.

Henry H

August 31, 2014, 04:25:28 PM
I think that's a great idea, but IMO it looks a bit clunky.

Hey Henry,
Yes it is chunky...I wanted it to stay put on the edge of the desk or on a bookshelf, so there's a metallic weight in the base. 
I later thought the top could have a tray to hold paper clips, or holes to hold pens as well.
Thanks for your input.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* August 31, 2014, 05:28:45 PM
A great ide'a Gaz

But like Henry say, a little bit clunky.
There is alredy a "billion" product out there that doing pretty much the same job, so then you need to get a special design/ function in to it that will make you product more atractive.

IMO it should been thinner, have a hing system so i could put it on the wall or similar if i want, on my desk it would dissapear after 1 day ;) say no more)
Maybe even make the "heavy" part bigger (but slim), in a up rised position, make it possible to put on a calender, picture etc i.e., something that make it different from the rest.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

August 31, 2014, 06:27:49 PM
Great idea Garry. Beats the paper clip hooks I made that hang off a wire shelf.

This is one of those ideas where it would be great to have a 3D printer where you could print the prototype for personal use.

August 31, 2014, 07:02:19 PM
Torfinn,
As it's only in the concept stage, I certainly could make it thinner, and I like the idea of adding a hinge and mounting holes to put it on the wall.  Good ideas.

Don,
Yes, I've thought of getting someone with a 3D printer to make a one-off just for my own use, even if no one else likes the idea!

Thanks for your input guys.
Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

August 31, 2014, 08:29:06 PM
Taking on board some of your suggestions, I trimmed down the beast to a more slender model...does this look better?

Gaz

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:46:08 PM by The CAD man »

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* August 31, 2014, 11:14:01 PM
Hi Gaz

Much better :)
Little bit "sticky" material under the horizontal part, and it will be like glued on the desk

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* September 01, 2014, 09:38:02 AM
Taking on board some of your suggestions, I trimmed down the beast to a more slender model...does this look better?

Gaz

Yup.

Henry H

September 01, 2014, 09:22:53 PM
New version looks much better; I voted for it. Update your submission, too, with this as the lead pic.

How about using the new Gecko-pad adhesive instead of weights? On the deskward-facing face of your Z-shape, with the force being downward, it should hold like crazy. http://bhpho.to/1w1OW4c And you could make that leg thinner.

Try these guys for printing: http://www.shapeways.com/

Good luck with Q.
SG

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

September 08, 2014, 01:21:22 AM
New version looks much better; I voted for it. Update your submission, too, with this as the lead pic.

How about using the new Gecko-pad adhesive instead of weights? On the deskward-facing face of your Z-shape, with the force being downward, it should hold like crazy. http://bhpho.to/1w1OW4c And you could make that leg thinner.

Try these guys for printing: http://www.shapeways.com/

Good luck with Q.
SG

Thanks for all your [inside] expertise Steve, and also for the vote.
I made a prototype today to see how it works, just using timber and some push pins, even if no one else likes the idea, it solved my problem!

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

October 17, 2014, 06:40:16 AM
Great idea Garry. Nice work!

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

October 21, 2014, 01:29:06 AM
Brilliant.

In the beginning there was light but someone stopped paying the bills.......

* October 22, 2014, 07:15:16 AM
Pretty ingenious Garry on the prototype I like it.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison