TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Newby to TurboCAD - Many Questions
Read 10909 times
* July 29, 2014, 11:43:36 AM
Hi all.  My name is Steve and I'm from Albuquerque.  I've been using AutoCAD 98LT since '98 and TurboCAD has got me stumped on many of the processes I'm used to with AutoCAD.

1st question of many to come:  Is there a section in 'HELP' that you can write in a question?

* July 29, 2014, 11:59:02 AM
In the PDF Help, use "Ctrl+F" to activate the Search feature.
In the TurboCAD 21 Users Guide there is a Search field in the upper right (magnifying glass).

It helps if you state what Version and Edition you're are using. If using one of the V20 & V21 Pro editions; are you using the LTE interface (which is similar to AutoCAD LT)?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* July 29, 2014, 12:11:47 PM
I'm using 21.1 64bit version.  Just got it because that's the one I'm wanted to use at work.  I'm self taught on AutoCAD and just use pretty basic drafting tools I've learned since the beginning.  Now that our drafter is gone I'm wanted to pickup the slack because of AutoCAD knowledge.................... :o

I tried the written question thing and got no answer.  I wanted to know how to trim unwanted lines from a drawing.  In AutoCAD it was simply type 'TR', block the area to be trimmed and left click on the lines to be eliminated.  I guess I don't know how to talk to the program....................Geekanese stumps me.......... ;D

What is LTE interface?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:33:54 PM by Steve F »

* July 29, 2014, 12:14:03 PM
Hi all.  My name is Steve and I'm from Albuquerque.  I've been using AutoCAD 98LT since '98 and TurboCAD has got me stumped on many of the processes I'm used to with AutoCAD.

1st question of many to come:  Is there a section in 'HELP' that you can write in a question?

If HELP doesn't help, you'll find quick and accurate answers to practically any TCad question right here ;-)

Henry H

* July 29, 2014, 05:04:48 PM
I wanted to know how to trim unwanted lines from a drawing.  In AutoCAD it was simply type 'TR', block the area to be trimmed and left click on the lines to be eliminated.  I guess I don't know how to talk to the program....................Geekanese stumps me.......... ;D

Hi, Steve, and Welcome. I am no expert, but thought I'd pitch in here and see if we can get a ball across the plate, at least!
For trimming, I use 2 tools quite a bit, Trim, and Line Length. See them in the attached picture.
To trim, select the tool, then click a line you want to use as a cut mark, and then on the line that crosses that cut line, on the side you want removed.
To use Line Length, select the tool, selct the end of a line, and drag it back or forth to where you want it. To snap it to a certain point, you can use the different Snap keyboard shortcuts, like I for the point it Intersects a line, or C for the Center of a circle, etc.

Charles, or Chip for short.

* July 29, 2014, 08:18:41 PM

Welcome, my name is Don and I live in Brentwood Bay BC Canada. This forum is the best HELP resource for getting TurboCad questions answered.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 29, 2014, 09:42:14 PM
I'm using 21.1 64bit version. 
—SNIP—
What is LTE interface?

Is that V21.1 Deluxe or V21.1 Professional Basic or V21.1 Professional Platinum? Help / About will tell you what you have.

They took the interface from their LTE series of programs and added it to their two Professional programs. If you have one of the Pro programs, you can access the LTE interface through "Tools / Customize—›Options" page. Change the "Worspace" style from "Default workspace" to "LTE workspace". If you have Deluxe, you're outa luck, but visit the TurboCAD LTE page to learn more about that program. You could download a free trial of TC LTE Pro V6. You can run both on the same machine.

re: Trim
If you're using TC Deluxe (like I suspect), the Modify menu has two Trim tools; Object Trim and just plain Trim (which is similar to AC). See the TurboCAD LTE Tools page in the Wiki for some info (it needs to be updated).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:43:52 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* July 30, 2014, 10:36:43 AM
Sorry I was not as informative as I should have been.  I'm using the V21.1 64bit Deluxe version...................

* July 30, 2014, 10:10:02 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure everyone here will try to get you over the hump. You might even learn to like TurboCAD.  ;D

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* July 31, 2014, 11:08:59 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure everyone here will try to get you over the hump. You might even learn to like TurboCAD.  ;D

This is so frustrating.................. >:(............I'm not to sure I'll ever get to like TC vs AC...................

It's my 3rd day trying to understand the tools and how to use them and can't really get anything to work the way I logically think they should!  The 'help' isn't much help in learning HOW to use the tools only to know what they are used for.  With 1150 pages in the TC manual one would think there was more on HOW rather than WHAT..................I'm not really much further than I was on day-one.

I don't really like to sound so negative about TC, but the frustration level is driving me buggy not being able to do simple things.  I was taught basic pencil/paper drafting in junior high way back in the 50's.  When I encountered AC for the 1st time I found the procedures pretty straight forward and user friendly for doing basic drafting...............nothing fancy.......no 3D and such, just simple line drafting drawings - top, front and side...................

I'm bought TC and am trying to learn this at home to help in a, now, 2-man shop and contribute to my designing of jewelry (I'm also a silversmith/lapidary).  My AC is on an old '98 Toshiba Satellite lap-top (top of the line at the time and still working great), but I can't use any newer computer equipment on it because of it's age.  Heck, I can't even use a thumb drive on the thing to transfer drawings to my other computer for printing.

Sorry for the rant, but I've got to do this somewhere just to get it off my chest...............Well, back to trying to fumble through TC......................

* July 31, 2014, 11:23:23 AM
How the heck do I get the icons along the edges od the drawing space to light up so I can use them on a new drawing space? 

* July 31, 2014, 11:26:37 AM
What are you specifically struggling with?

I would suggest you go thru the getting started videos which cover some of the very basics.  You can access them from the Help menu.

http://www.turbocad.com/Support/Getting-Started-Videos

We also have a Youtube Channel with additional videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/IMSIDesign

Lastly in TC always refer to the instructions in the lower left corner.  It will be a big help as you are learning the steps expected by the program to proceed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:30:05 AM by Dave Taylor »

July 31, 2014, 11:27:14 AM
How the heck do I get the icons along the edges od the drawing space to light up so I can use them on a new drawing space?

Tools are only select able when you can use them.

Do you have a drawing open?

Specifically what tools are you having trouble with?

Have you viewed the getting started videos? You can bring them up through the help menu. Depending on how you purchased TC you may have some additional tutorials available on the disk as well. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* July 31, 2014, 12:01:20 PM
"I'm bought TC and am trying to learn this at home to help in a, now, 2-man shop and contribute to my designing of jewelry (I'm also a silversmith/lapidary). "

TCad is great for jewelry design.

Henry H

* July 31, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
Steve, I do recommend the 2D and 3D training guides available at IMSI, if it didn't come with your purchase. It is how I learned to use TC. And this  forum helps a bunch, too. I have TC Deluxe 21. It is really amazing the power of this version. I'd like to upgrade to Pro version, but it's not in my budget. Yet, I can do everything I need, in 2D and 3D with the Deluxe version. Granted, TC is the first CAD software I have ever used, so I don't have to un-learn another system.
Just hang in there, take advantage of this forum and the TC online help. Before you know it you will be pleased with this software package.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

July 31, 2014, 04:55:46 PM
Hi Steve,

When I ventured into this CAD game some 9 years ago I tried various packages including Autocad. For me the only one which came close to working along the lines of a Windows type program and which was intuitive within windows was/is TurboCAD.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have an Autocad background it may be a  disadvantage when trying to learn TurboCAD. Think Word, Excel, etc and things will be easier on you.

My version of TurboCAD does not have the LTE interface so I can't comment other than to say that if it did I would not use it.

Just my one Bob's worth.

Best Regards
Bob

TC 14 Deluxe, TC 19 Pro
Windows 7, 64bit 8GB Ram

* August 04, 2014, 08:49:34 AM
hello.  I'm just jumping into cad for the first time.  we are electrical contractors and we just need to be able to generate basic site plans and archetectural layouts and add electrical symbols, possibly PID diagrams etc. Modifying/adding to other folks cad layouts (autocad dwg files?) is important to us.  Ive checked out deluxe 21 and LTE both of which im totally in the dark on.  Can anyone recommend which program is best for our application?

* August 12, 2014, 05:26:01 PM
Well, after about two weeks, I think I'm stumbling into the tools I need to do what I currently want, and remembering where the tools are............ :)

* August 13, 2014, 10:36:28 AM
Major problem for this Newby............ :'(

I've run across a problem I have never run into before on any CAD program:  In TC the magenta "X", that usually designates a start point, refuses to move and everything I try starts at the stuck "X".  I have no idea what I hit or clicked on, but I can't continue until this problem is resolved.

One other question:  How do I stop the 'copy' mode once I've made a copy?  There is no 'finish' when I right click.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:42:46 AM by Steve F »

* August 14, 2014, 01:19:07 PM
I still don't know how I got stuck with the "X" problem.  But, I'm working the drawing again by closing the drawing without saving my changes and doing all the re-drawing without any more problems.

I still would like to know how to end the copy mode within the "SELECT" icon after I have made my copy.

Suggestions Please..............................

* August 14, 2014, 01:48:43 PM
Try click on the copy tool one more time or select a different tool.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* August 16, 2014, 05:48:22 PM
I found out that the "Rubber Stamp" option does the same thing as copying and I figured how to end it once I've got the copy.

* August 16, 2014, 09:04:38 PM
Other "Copy" options:

The Copy In Place tool. Make your selection, click on the tool icon, a copy is made.

Select the object(s), pick it up by its Reference Point, hold the Ctrl key and place it in the drawing.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 19, 2014, 12:26:48 PM
Thankx all for your assistance so far.....it has been helpful.

Now I have another question:  Along with creating drawings I am also tasked with updating/editing current drawings.  In the lower right corner is a identifying tag with the company's name, drawing title, drawing number and various other items. 

How can I get into this so I can edit the contents.  I'm assuming this is a 'block' item (I'm using the word 'block' as I know it from AutoCAD).  If it is, how do I explode a 'block' to edit?

I have tried using the 'arrow' icon - 'select (space) - with a double right click to open the text editing window, but it is empty.
I have tried using the 'A' icon - 'text' - with a right click and then left click on 'Edit text'.......nothing happens. 

I've read page 32, but it doesn't make any sense to me for doing what I need to do.

More assistance would be greatly appreciate...................................

I've looked and inquired in the User's Guide but the only 'edit' that shows up is how to edit a polyline.

* August 19, 2014, 12:51:35 PM
Are you looking to edit the values of the Block Attribute? This can be done on the "Block Attribute" page in Properties, then use the "Next/Previous" buttons to cycle through the various attributes.

If you want to change the parts that make up an attribute, select the Block in the Blocks palette, then the EC (Edit Content) button at the top. Now you can  edit the Block without exploding it. Click on the green checkmark  when done. There are several ways to edit a Block, this is one of them.

See also: Block Attributes in the Wiki. It might be useful.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 19, 2014, 04:44:37 PM
Thankx all for your assistance so far.....it has been helpful.

Now I have another question:  Along with creating drawings I am also tasked with updating/editing current drawings.  In the lower right corner is a identifying tag with the company's name, drawing title, drawing number and various other items. 

How can I get into this so I can edit the contents.  I'm assuming this is a 'block' item (I'm using the word 'block' as I know it from AutoCAD).  If it is, how do I explode a 'block' to edit?

I have tried using the 'arrow' icon - 'select (space) - with a double right click to open the text editing window, but it is empty.
I have tried using the 'A' icon - 'text' - with a right click and then left click on 'Edit text'.......nothing happens. 

I've read page 32, but it doesn't make any sense to me for doing what I need to do.

More assistance would be greatly appreciate...................................

I've looked and inquired in the User's Guide but the only 'edit' that shows up is how to edit a polyline.

Hard to answer this question without access to the drawing itself. Can you post an example file?

Henry H

* August 20, 2014, 08:12:59 AM
Are you looking to edit the values of the Block Attribute? This can be done on the "Block Attribute" page in Properties, then use the "Next/Previous" buttons to cycle through the various attributes.

Tghis is exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't know what it was called.

Thankx very much........................ ;D

* January 08, 2015, 11:31:10 AM
Hello again...............It's was August when I last needed some assistance............and I could use some more......please.

We're developing a new product and I have been tasked to do the parts and assembly drawings to be printed on 11"x17" stock.  When creating all the drawings I use a scale of 1:1. and do them life size in 'model'. 

What I am having trouble with is when I switch to 'paper' for printing, all the smaller pieces are so small in the 11x17 format that they are hard to read.  I have tried scaling 'x' & 'y' in 'model' to increase the visual size in 'paper'.  It does, but it also scales the dimensions the same amount, i.e. scaling up 2x will double the dims - 1" will become 2".  I've tried using the 'select' mode to enlarge and this does the same thing.

When I use the 'select' mode to enlarge the drawing in 'paper' it changes the printing area. 

I've tries to use the 'help' again but we still aren't speaking the same language with words like 'scale', 'enlarge', etc.

What is the procedure for enlarging a 'model' mode drawing so it fills more of the printable area within the 'paper' mode without altering the dims?

Thankx again for any assistance.

* January 08, 2015, 11:41:23 AM
Hello again...............It's was August when I last needed some assistance............and I could use some more......please.

We're developing a new product and I have been tasked to do the parts and assembly drawings to be printed on 11"x17" stock.  When creating all the drawings I use a scale of 1:1. and do them life size in 'model'. 

What I am having trouble with is when I switch to 'paper' for printing, all the smaller pieces are so small in the 11x17 format that they are hard to read.  I have tried scaling 'x' & 'y' in 'model' to increase the visual size in 'paper'.  It does, but it also scales the dimensions the same amount, i.e. scaling up 2x will double the dims - 1" will become 2".  I've tried using the 'select' mode to enlarge and this does the same thing.

When I use the 'select' mode to enlarge the drawing in 'paper' it changes the printing area. 

I've tries to use the 'help' again but we still aren't speaking the same language with words like 'scale', 'enlarge', etc.

What is the procedure for enlarging a 'model' mode drawing so it fills more of the printable area within the 'paper' mode without altering the dims?

Thankx again for any assistance.

First off, go back in Modelspace and re-size everything to their real-world dimensions, if you haven't already.

You didn't state how you got the Modelspace objects into Paperspace.
Did you use a Viewport?  If not, then how?

You stated that you "... switch to 'paper' for printing".  Does that mean that you are not using Paperspace at all; just trying to print directly from Modelspace?  (not advised... it's the newby way of going about it)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:55:55 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 08, 2015, 12:03:24 PM
"First off, go back in Modelspace and re-size everything to their real-world dimensions, if you haven't already.

You didn't state how you got the Modelspace objects into Paperspace.
Did you use a Viewport?  If not, then how?"

I'm working with a previously formatted blank that has logos, borders, rev blocks, etc in the 'paper' space.  And, yes I believe it is through a 'viewport' that allows the 'model' drawing to show through.

I do not understand what you mean by - "go back in Modelspace and re-size everything to their real-world dimensions" - I thought drawing to 1:1 scale was real world dims.

I've noticed in the printing windows there are terms "world" associated with height and width along with 'paper' sizes, but I do not know what this means.

What are 'real-world' dims and how is this adjusted?

* January 08, 2015, 12:17:44 PM
I do not understand what you mean by - "go back in Modelspace and re-size everything to their real-world dimensions" - I thought drawing to 1:1 scale was real world dims.

First-things first.  Let's get cleared up on this "model" and "Modelspace" thing.

I only advised you to "go back in Modelspace and re-size everything to their real-world dimensions" because you had stated "I have tried scaling 'x' & 'y' in 'model' to increase the visual size...".
If you didn't mean that you changed the size (scaled) the objects that are in Modelspace, then you can neglect my advice "go back in Modelspace and re-size everything to their real-world dimensions".

Additionally:  If by "...drawing to 1:1 scale" you are referring to the Modelspace Space Units-- at the top of the Options/Drawing Setup.../Space Units page (in the Scale/Model Space field-box)-- that only refers to the scale at which a printing from Modelspace will be printed; it has nothing to do with the scale of things being drawn in Modelspace.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 08, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

I'm working with a previously formatted blank that has logos, borders, rev blocks, etc in the 'paper' space.  And, yes I believe it is through a 'viewport' that allows the 'model' drawing to show through.

1> In Paperspace, select the Viewport.
2> In the Viewport's Properties "Viewport" page, "Scale" section on that page, check "Fixed".
3> Still in that "Scale" section, change the scale in the drop-down field-box that is to the right of the "Fixed" option.  You will have to try different settings until you have it figured out what works for your view and the paper size.
4> Close out of that Viewport/Properties window, realizing that you will probably have to go back to it after seeing how everything fits.
5> Re-size and re-position the Viewport how and where you wish.
6> Repeat Step-3 if you are not satisfied with the scale (size) of the contents in the Viewport.
7> In the Paperspace Page Setup (File/Page Setup, while in Paperspace), "Paper" page, "Paper Space Printing Scale" drop-down field-box, set that to "1" = 1" (Full Size)" (assuming you are working in English units, not Metric).
8> Print, baby, print!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:32:21 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 08, 2015, 12:33:09 PM
I have already returned the drawing to it's original size of 1:1 scale in 'model space'.

Here is an example of what I am facing.  I'm at home now and this was only printed on 8-1/2x11, but it shows the drawing I need to make larger to show the details for the machinists.  This was printed in 'paper space'. 

* January 08, 2015, 12:36:22 PM
I have already returned the drawing to it's original size of 1:1 scale in 'model space'.

Here is an example of what I am facing.  I'm at home now and this was only printed on 8-1/2x11, but it shows the drawing I need to make larger to show the details for the machinists.  This was printed in 'paper space'.

Please see my just-previous Post-- Reply #32.   -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* January 08, 2015, 05:48:27 PM

It's very helpful to see the problem file.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* January 09, 2015, 12:45:22 PM
I stumbled across the solution to my problem today at work.  While still fumbling through different methods to solve the problem, I left clicked on the 'paper' mode viewport using the 'select' button, scaled the drawing up 2x and noticed the dims didn't change.  I then right clicked to drop a menu and clicked on the 'edit' tool.  This dropped the framework of the viewport window and only left the four corners.  I then used the mouse to move each corner the the corners of the drawing perimeter layout, went back to the 'select' mode and all was fixed as I wanted it to be..................YEA............... :)

Thankx again for the assistance...............Chances are I'm still going to need help from time to time.  The self taught learning curve is sometimes really steep.................

* January 09, 2015, 01:35:18 PM
I
Thankx again for the assistance...............Chances are I'm still going to need help from time to time.  The self taught learning curve is sometimes really steep.................

On the opposite side of the fence...I've been using TurboCad since 2001 for work and would like to think I'm fairly proficient with it. Now for work I'm trying to learn AutoCad and I'm probably running in the same type of learning curve. By comparison to TurboCad I find for somethings there are too many keystokes involved to get the job completed. Anyhow that's my rant.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* January 11, 2015, 06:20:37 PM
I've used both products (TCad and ACAD LT) over the last 15 plus years and I always found the TCad interface more intuitive, the program easier to navigate.  However, I live in an Autodesk marketplace and the failure of clean file transfers between products caused me to stop using TCad several years ago and I bought LT 2012.

I found that you learn more with both if you RTFM that you should have received with the purchase or, as in my case with LT 2012, the ACAD Bible I purchased from a 3rd party.  [Wish I'd read it more, but I have been doing much more project management during the past several years; no where near as much design as I had envisioned.  I hope to change this....]  Another alternative is to put it under your pillow and take it all in through osmosis.

Seriously, READING is fundamental to learning these tools.  Read the fine manual while sitting before that workstation you put your hard-earned shekels into and make it pay.  I've been amazed at how one little thread in the book opens the door to so many other tools, approaches, techniques, tips.

Yes, it will take time away from actual work, but it will save you immense frustration and will make you more productive in fairly short order.  Please note that my comments are borne in my heavy use of the manuals that I got with V6-9, 11, 14, & 15.  Actually, I didn't read the last one much as I started running a couple of very large construction contracts.  Not a lot of use for the tools on those job sites.

Best wishes, Damien*

P.S.  Does everyone else find those verification codes at the bottom of EVERY message as annoying as I do?   >:(

The old Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is on its last legs so Coming soon!

i7-4790k OC to 4.3 MHz, Quadro 2200K, 16GB 2400 MHz DDR3, 256 GB SSD, Win7 Pro 64.

January 12, 2015, 01:22:42 AM
P.S.  Does everyone else find those verification codes at the bottom of EVERY message as annoying as I do?   >:(

You'll find they'll disappear, after a  while of forum use - they are not permanent!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.