TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Recommended Hardware
Read 6020 times
* May 29, 2014, 12:27:22 PM
My projects are getting much more complicated and I'm going to have to upgrade my hardware. I want to make sure everything I buy is geared to compatibility with Turbo Cad 17 without any real overkill. I'm looking at either an i5 or AMD FX processor, 8G ram and something like the Firepro V4900, windows 7 pro. Are there processors, OSs or GPUs that are geared better? Does TurboCad work better with certain GPUs?

* May 29, 2014, 01:04:02 PM
I would look towards the future and recommend a 64-bit computer 8GB or more of RAM. Even if you don't get it with more RAM now, have the ability to upgrade it later on.
Video Card — I like Nvidia, but that's one man's opinion. According to the GPU List, your card should work.

Even though V17 might not benefit that much from a 64-bit machine, at some point you'll upgrade to a later version of TurboCAD. From V19 on, a 64-bit version is available and "out of memory" issues will become less of a problem.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* May 29, 2014, 01:16:04 PM
I am using a 64bit computer right now and getting the low memory problem. Guess I will need to upgrade to 19. Is there an upgrade program or do I need to buy it outright?

* May 29, 2014, 02:37:40 PM
V19 Platinum can probably acquired on EBay. They do have an Upgrade Center for the current version, 21.

Legacy Upgrade (TurboCAD Pro or Platinum version 17-12 owners)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* June 02, 2014, 07:34:02 AM
Thanks for the information.

I'm planning on getting the Firepro v4900. It's a workstation card as opposed to a gaming card. I've read the gaming card drivers are designed to display visual effects in real time as opposed to accuracy and the drivers for the workstation cards are much better suited to CAD.

Last question: is TC single threading or does it make use of as many cores as is available? It makes a difference as to which processor I'll buy.

* June 02, 2014, 08:39:06 AM
I use the AMD FX series of processors on our machines.

It does render with 8 threads.

Check with RED SDK development to see which graphics cards might behave best. Don't assume that style of card (raster vs vector) might be faster or better -- just check.

I have V20 -- some of my drawings just don't work on the 32 Bit version since I have Furnituremaker 10 -- so I am stuck with 32 bit for some things. I use the V20 64 bit wherever possible.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* June 02, 2014, 08:56:36 AM
Thanks for the help. Checked the recommended GPUs and FirePro is approved. Since that's geared toward workstations it will be that.

AMD 8 core 8350 4.0ghz
8GB dual channel
Firepro v4900

* June 02, 2014, 10:40:12 AM
If the budget allows get 16GB of RAM --

As a general issue -- make sure you allow for an external backup drive and a bare metal backup and restore program like Acronis -- or similar.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* June 02, 2014, 10:58:48 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I have it ordered with 16G 1600. I have an offsite backup system setup so I'll use that and Ill check into Acronis.

* June 02, 2014, 10:58:55 AM
Thanks for the help. Checked the recommended GPUs and FirePro is approved. Since that's geared toward workstations it will be that.

AMD 8 core 8350 4.0ghz
8GB dual channel
Firepro v4900

By chance....would you happen to live in Canada. Please reply to my email dwensrich@shaw.ca I have a computer part you may be interested in.

Thanks,

Don.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

June 02, 2014, 11:38:17 AM
My projects are getting much more complicated and I'm going to have to upgrade my hardware. I want to make sure everything I buy is geared to compatibility with Turbo Cad 17 without any real overkill. I'm looking at either an i5 or AMD FX processor, 8G ram and something like the Firepro V4900, windows 7 pro. Are there processors, OSs or GPUs that are geared better? Does TurboCad work better with certain GPUs?

Processor

AMD vs Intel

While you may be able to get more cores for the dollar from AMD this will only help with 3D rendering and some ACIS operations. If you can afford it go for the Intel.

RAM

8GB would be the minimum I would recommend to run the 64 bit version of TurboCAD. That said RAM is easily upgradable so you may not want to worry about it right away.

GPU

I have not noticed huge performance differences on the same machine with different video cards.

Newer video cards will only be supported by newer version of TurboCAD. For example if you purchase v19 of TurboCAD you will want to pair that with a video card at least 4 years old.

OS

Get windows 8. It is significantly faster.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 02, 2014, 11:41:20 AM
Thanks - the 3D rendering is where the slow down seems to be. I'll be using 19 and according to the recommended GPU the Firepro is there. Don't know exactly how old the technology is though. I've ordered it with 8.1.

June 02, 2014, 12:02:49 PM
I'll be using 19 and according to the recommended GPU the Firepro is there.

You should be OK. At worst you will have to use a generic or older driver. I don't think you will have any performance issues because of this.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 02, 2014, 01:19:27 PM
The V4900 has 480 stream processors. I don't totally understand the technology but is it redundant to have a gpu with all that and opt to get a cpu with as many cores as possible? In other words, if the only real advantage to multiple cores is the rendering and Turbocad is going to use the graphics processors instead of the CPU cores is there an advantage?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:22:17 PM by jwells »

June 02, 2014, 01:23:44 PM
For the most part the GPU is only used for graphics acceleration REDSDK Wireframe, Hidden Line and Draft.

Multi threading is used for Quality renders and ACIS operations.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* June 04, 2014, 10:43:20 AM
Thanks for all the info. I assume I made a good choice with the hardware. In reviewing the benchmarks it appears that the i5 and i7 are much better for single threading applications and graphics processing than the AMD since they have a built in gpu. However, since I was looking for the power of a external GPU which the v4900 has a gig plus 480 processors, the 8 cores of the 8350 should prove better at rendering and ACIS. I would think that covers most processing intensive tasks of Turbocad and the remaining single thread tasks should not be a big deal for a 4 ghz prcessor. Am I looking at this wrong?

June 04, 2014, 03:50:39 PM
You should be fine. Intel vs AMD is a very confusing comparison since the MHz are not comparable.

http://www.geek.com/chips/why-amd-mhz-dont-equal-intel-mhz-557914/

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

June 05, 2014, 03:23:05 AM
I am in the process of upgrading my computer basically as follows

Intel Quad Core i7 not clocked
128 GB SSD for faster start-up but I plan to store my TCW there to speed up opening
16GB Ram
1 TB hard disk (smallest I could get)
2GB video card but I think it is a NVidia
Win 7 Home Premium (did not take to Win 8)

I suspect the SSD will give the greatest improvement.

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

* June 05, 2014, 08:08:41 AM
Sounds good. Turbotech said in a previous post that Windows 8 makes it significantly faster. You may want to try that.

June 07, 2014, 05:03:36 AM
I tried Win8 when it was first issued and cannot say Turbocad appeared any quicker to load.

IN UK we say that a product is Marmite.  You either love it or hate it.  I reckon there is mare going in the background tidying up than in Win7 but was very frustrated by the new approach to the desktop, the panes or whatever and that the free MS games had been switched to free ones with adverts or pay for advert free ones that had to be downloaded rather than included.  UK magazines seemed to report that the corporate take up for Win8 was so poor, MS was accelerating Win9 development.  I can wait.

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

* June 07, 2014, 09:10:17 AM
re: …was very frustrated by the new approach to the desktop…

I ended up getting the Classic Shell interface for my Windows 8 machine. Now when I start that machine, it goes directly to a normal Windows Desktop with some icons on it; not Charms. I have a "Start" button and can go to "Programs" and the various installed programs and their sub-sections. I don't have to use a search feature to find an added feature to program that was normally listed in previous versions of Windows.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* June 07, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
Windows 8.1 works for me without any problems, windows seven on my laptop has worked for a number of years without a hitch, vista was a nightmare, and still like my trusty old XP system.

I don't like the search for programs feature, but probably more suitable for people with touch screens, so installed the old traditional start menu, and back to normal now, plus windows 8.1 is so hassle free apart from the niggly facets with accessing things.

June 08, 2014, 12:45:35 AM
re: …was very frustrated by the new approach to the desktop…

I ended up getting the Classic Shell interface for my Windows 8 machine. Now when I start that machine, it goes directly to a normal Windows Desktop with some icons on it; not Charms. I have a "Start" button and can go to "Programs" and the various installed programs and their sub-sections. I don't have to use a search feature to find an added feature to program that was normally listed in previous versions of Windows.

I couldn't agree more John.  I'm no Luddite, but Classic Shell works like a charm!  8)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.