TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

exploding ex-refs
Read 1220 times
March 24, 2014, 02:55:26 PM
Hi,

Hi I have inserted multiple copies of an x-ref in another drawing - it appears there is no way of 'exploding' or detaching one of the x-ref copies to alter it in the drawing without  doing this to the entire x-ref in the drawing?

Can this be done.

Brett

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* March 24, 2014, 04:40:05 PM
I think you're asking for trouble Brett, I would use blocks. Xref are good for maps or background reference to an existing drawing or to simply refer it to an active drawing It also helps in keeping the file size down in the active drawing. But you have your ways and work flow.
My experiences are that once you start using the xref as an active object you really need to keep track of its history and whom ever is or has worked on the xref. If it's only you it's a little easier to track but can still start to get confusing. You could "bind" the xref keeping the master untouched > it becomes a block
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:22:05 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* March 24, 2014, 04:49:52 PM
Hi,

Hi I have inserted multiple copies of an x-ref in another drawing - it appears there is no way of 'exploding' or detaching one of the x-ref copies to alter it in the drawing without  doing this to the entire x-ref in the drawing?

Can this be done.

Brett

Seems like you would want to Copy-&-Paste all the Objects that make up the X-Ref into the "new" Drawing; make all those contents a Block in the "new" Drawing (if they are not already a Block in the X-Ref Drawing); and edit at will.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:55:51 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

March 25, 2014, 01:36:02 AM
Hi,

Can this be done.

Brett

Hi Brett,

in a word - no - leave well alone!

Could you not just make a copy of the original xref drawing, renaming it and attaching to your main drawing, in the usual way?  Then edit this new drawing as desired, without upsetting the original xref attachments?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

March 25, 2014, 08:21:42 PM
Thanks Guys,

No worries - I just detached it, I can re-load it as an x-ref once I've finshed tinkering.

thanks
Brett

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat