TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Is ELMER finite element software compatibility with turbocad
Read 2664 times
* March 05, 2014, 08:09:21 PM
Does anyone know if ELMER is compatible with Turbocad.  Is this the best open source software for FEM simulations when using Turbocad. I"m mostly interested in the fluid mechanics simulations in order to run simulations on a wind turbine design. Please feel free to comment.

* March 06, 2014, 12:28:08 AM
Not sure, I downloaded Elmer a little while back but have been to0 busy to venture into it yet, but believe it is one of the best of the open source FEA solutions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:21:15 AM by Michael Geraghty »

March 06, 2014, 03:02:22 AM

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.  Elmer may serve your purposes with regards to analysis of fluid mechanical problems, but can be tedious to create models in, compared with TurboCAD.  TC would be fine for modelling for any purposes other than analysis of this type.  In my experience, I would not try importing anything but very simple models into any FEA/FEM software from a CAD programme - there are too many pitfalls for the unwary.  To get any meaningful results with FEA/FEM your models must be very 'clean' and fault free, and, you must be able to prove, by other means, that your results make some sort of sense.

It's a case of 'horse for courses'.  So, compatibility is going to be very limited.

Use Elmer, or LISA perhaps, for affordable/free problem solving, and TurboCAD for 2D/3D models - for presentation/manufacture, whatever.

Good luck!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* March 06, 2014, 11:31:12 AM
Thank you Tim.
I downloaded Elmer earlier but never could get it to install. I get a message about a missing file when I try. Downloaded LISA today and had no problem with the install. Most of the icons and menu items seem to be fairly intuitive if you are familiar with Turbocad.  I'm not sure how well LISA is going to work out though . It keeps giving me an error about element shape and will not allow me to assign a material to the mesh, even though I have followed the steps in the beginners guide exactly.
I know this is a Turbocad forum but if you have experience with LISA would it be possible for me to correspond with you privately?

March 06, 2014, 12:28:29 PM

I know this is a Turbocad forum but if you have experience with LISA would it be possible for me to correspond with you privately?

Sure, email me at link under my photograph.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).