Author Topic: Grid Fundamentals: Dividing the Grid  (Read 283 times)

Alvin Gregorio

• Supreme Postmaster
Grid Fundamentals: Dividing the Grid
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
Need some education on dividing and using the Grid (2D; Ortho)

For this example:
  • I would like "Major" and "Minor" Grid Lines in the X and Y Ortho direction to be 48" o.c.
  • I would like divisions of these in the both the X and Y directions to be at 16"o.c.
  • I would like the 48"o.c. grid-lines to be a darker color than the 16"o.c. division grid-lines

Was hoping that someone could create those settings for me in an otherwise blank TurboCAD file and Save it to a version-19 or earlier .tcw file and Post it here.

I read the help documentation, but still couldn't figure it out.
I don't even know if I'm using the terms "Major", "Minor", and "Divisions" correctly... as they relate to TurboCAD's Grid settings' options.

Thanks for any help-  Alvin
Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: ver.-19.2-Deluxe/Bld. 54.2; ver-11.2-Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

swasacase

Re: Grid Fundamentals: Dividing the Grid
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?

Alvin Gregorio

• Supreme Postmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?

It appears to be what I am looking for.
____
Thank you for the Reply and the Drawing.

Issue/Question:  When I use your Grid, and have the Grid Running Snap and Show Magnetic Point active, my Magnetic Point becomes "highlighted" (indicating that a Snap is possible in that location) seemingly anywhere in the drawing (upon deeper experimentation, it looks to be 1/8" intervals).

I really can't make much of use of that type of Grid setting; I need Grid Snaps to be at 16" intervals, at the minimum.

Thanks for the help... Alvin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:00:32 PM by Alvin Gregorio »
Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: ver.-19.2-Deluxe/Bld. 54.2; ver-11.2-Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

Torfinn

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
Maybe like this one Alvin

Change the color as you please, just remember that ther is grid and advanced grid

Torfinn
V18, V19, V20, V21 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21
RedSDK enabled
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8 GB, SP1
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1 GB

Alvin Gregorio

• Supreme Postmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
Maybe like this one Alvin

Change the color as you please, just remember that ther is grid and advanced grid

Torfinn

Yeah!!  That's what I'm after Torfinn!!

(sorry to force you to use the English Unit System  ;) )

Thank you Torfinn.  And Thank You again swasacase for your effort.  -Alvin
Alvin Gregorio

John R

• Beta Tester
  • Royal Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
My 2 cents.

Grid spacing at 16" and Divisions set to 3 (48"). "Frequency" places invisible points within the visible grid points. I tried it a long time ago, but I now stick with "1".
John R.

V17, V18, V19, V20, V21
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Vista 64-bit SP2

Alvin Gregorio

• Supreme Postmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »
My 2 cents.

Grid spacing at 16" and Divisions set to 3 (48"). "Frequency" places invisible points within the visible grid points. I tried it a long time ago, but I now stick with "1".

Okay.  Thank You for the clarification and education John.

What you wrote is reflected in the TurboCAD file that Torfinn posted here... right?
Alvin Gregorio

John R

• Beta Tester
  • Royal Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:05:10 PM »
We're both similar. His "Space Units" Format is Decimal, whereas mine is set to Architectural (reads as feet & fractional inches).
John R.

V17, V18, V19, V20, V21
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Vista 64-bit SP2

Alvin Gregorio

• Supreme Postmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
We're both similar. His "Space Units" Format is Decimal, whereas mine is set to Architectural (reads as feet & fractional inches).

Okay.  Thanks John.

I've drawn a lot of stuff for a lot of years... don't know how I've missed this fundamental [Grid/Advanced Grid] knowledge.

And now I know....

(I'm using the Grid to Lay out Wall studs, shear-panel plywood, etc.  Though I have often said I don't use the Grid, I am finding it handy for this application.)

Below is what I'm working on [version-19.2/Deluxe].  It's a little garage that I'm going to build-- 2D only.
I'm in the process of completing the drawings; have Elevations and Sectionals and Paperspace Layouts to go.
Users can see how I am using the Grid (in USA, studs typically/often at 16"o.c.).
I use Layer Sets, so fellow-TurboCADers will have to toggle through them for the drawing to make any sense.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:07:16 AM by Alvin Gregorio »
Alvin Gregorio

RCFlyingKnight

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
I know you got your answer but here's a note I wrote myself for future reference since I've not used the grid yet.

Spacing = Distance between grid lines (where there will be a grid line)

Major line = a line at (divisions x spacing)

Minor line = a line at “Spacing” that’s not a Major line

Frequency = Major and Minor lines only displayed at (Frequency x Spacing) intervals.  The spacing snap points are still useable though unseen.

Spacing = 16”
To have a major line at every 48”
Divisions = 3
Major line = 48” (16 x 3 = 48)
Minor line = will be at 16” and 32”
Frequency = 1 for the above.

If you want the Major lines to show only at every 96” (8’) and Minor lines will show every 32” Frequency = 2 you will still have a grid snap at every 16”

If you use Frequency = 5, Minor lines will show at (16x5=80) every 80”, Major lines will show at every 240” ((Frequency x Spacing)Divisions)= ((5x16)3)=(80x3)=240.  With an invisible 4 x 4 grid points within each x, y set grid lines.

Matthew
Just a hobby user.
TurboCAD Vr. 18.2 Platnium
PC - Intel i7, 3.2 GHz, 6GB RAM, Window 7 64bit
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1GB RAM

Alvin Gregorio

• Supreme Postmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
I know you got your answer but here's a note I wrote myself for future reference since I've not used the grid yet.

Matthew

Yeah.  That sums it up pretty well Matthew.

It will now be here-- with a "Searchable" Subject heading for you, me, and all others to reference in the future... into perpetuity.

Thanks, Alvin
Alvin Gregorio