TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

what I am doing wrong filleting
Read 845 times
* February 19, 2014, 03:16:47 PM
Hi All

I've attached a simple part I am making on v20 as I can't get it to fillet and have no idea why or what I am doing wrong.  We're not talking super complex shape, when done its the top off an scale off road snorkel, I was just trying to round the top edge which has a simple angle to it and I wanted to put a 1mm fillet around the top to smooth it over but it won't do it.

In the past I have done simple stuff like this without problem and even done much more complex shapes, so wondered if there is something I haven't done since upgrading to v20 that I should be doing.

Many thanks

:-)

* February 19, 2014, 04:49:37 PM
Hi All

I've attached a simple part I am making on v20 as I can't get it to fillet and have no idea why or what I am doing wrong.  We're not talking super complex shape, when done its the top off an scale off road snorkel, I was just trying to round the top edge which has a simple angle to it and I wanted to put a 1mm fillet around the top to smooth it over but it won't do it.

In the past I have done simple stuff like this without problem and even done much more complex shapes, so wondered if there is something I haven't done since upgrading to v20 that I should be doing.

Many thanks

The object is corrupt. Can't be filleted or sliced or be subtracted from. SAT Healing doesn't fix it. Only cure I see is to start over -- which I did. Modified drawing is attached herewith.

Henry H

* February 19, 2014, 05:48:01 PM
It's possible to repair it.  Facet editor shows up sliver faces on your model that are causing your problem, probably artefacts of your modeling method.  I added in a cylindrical section derived from a three-point circle, then deleted successive faces that shouldn't be there.  The result fillets properly.

*Henry's is much cleaner, modelled from first principles. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:04:05 PM by murray dickinson »

* February 20, 2014, 02:21:16 AM
Hi

Many thanks to both of you and the diagrams were very useful.  in another five years I will have it off pat.

Many thanks again