TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Designer 2D cheaply made?
Read 2518 times
* February 08, 2014, 02:07:11 AM
I bought and downloaded TurboCAD Designer 20 2D not long ago, cheap as it was, but primarily because I only do 2D drawing.  Been doing that since TCW 3 but I'm now forced to join the world of 64 bit computing due to my good old faithful Win 2K machine dying on me.  Well, I guess I got what I paid for, an unfinished program of not much use.  The Desktop settings wouldn't save.  Nothing showed in the symbols palette.  I sent a ticket and shortly thereafter I was able to download version 20.2 which fixed those two problems.  I also received the program on CD but it is version 20 - useless!  Recently I decided to use a template and found that drawing objects don't show in model space, they only show in paper space.  I opened a drawing I made in TCW 11, the previous version I've been using for years.  20 2D shows the drawing in both paper and model space, as it should.  As little as I paid for 20 2D I think it should be free of these major defects.  Are the same problems in 20 Deluxe?

* February 08, 2014, 03:05:28 AM
re: …I decided to use a template and found that drawing objects don't show in model space, they only show in paper space.…

Which Template in Designer gave you problems? I tried A4, ANSI_ABCDE, Architectural_white, ISO, Normal & Normal Metric and was able to draw in Model Space.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* February 26, 2014, 08:15:00 AM
John, any of the templates show in Paper space.  The only thing I can make out is that Model space and Paper space live in different wolds so that anything you change in Paper space doesn't change in Model space.  I haven't tried that, got bigger fish to fry.  Help says you create a drawing in Model space and then put in Paper space to print it.  That's kinda nuts because you then have a problem fitting the drawing into the printable format.  I've always done my drawings in Paper space.  If I want to doodle outside the the paper bounds I turn off the background.  Duh?? --------  To annoy me, T'CAD opens my older files in Model space although they were done in Paper space.  T'CAD has no quick way to move the drawing to Paper space, you just have to do a Windows Copy and Paste, reposition the grabber (what's the proper name for that thing?) to a vertex, and then snap the drawing to the grid, something easy to mess up. :'(

February 26, 2014, 09:11:04 AM
You should be doing all your drawing in modelspace in a 1:1 scale.  In model space you are working in an infinite workspace so you can draw in full scale.  When you are fitting your drawing on a sheet for printing thats when paperspace comes into play.  You create views in model space then insert them into viewports in paperspace.  Viewports can be scaled.  This way you can easily have different viewports at different scales on the same sheet.  You can also place the drawing on different sheets of different sizes.

If you do your drawing in paperspace then you have to scale every thing you draw, and redraw, copy and resize each object for every view you would need. 

Here is a video going over how to bring a drawing into paperpace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v-fclYRrP4&list=PLE42BF8F135A43209&feature=share&index=9

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:46:20 AM by turbotech »

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

February 26, 2014, 11:05:18 AM
Hi,

sorry to hear you are having problems.  Take a look at tutorial here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XV7TaiFTnR8

. . . it might help.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* February 27, 2014, 06:26:52 AM
John, any of the templates show in Paper space.  The only thing I can make out is that Model space and Paper space live in different wolds so that anything you change in Paper space doesn't change in Model space.  I haven't tried that, got bigger fish to fry.  Help says you create a drawing in Model space and then put in Paper space to print it.  That's kinda nuts because you then have a problem fitting the drawing into the printable format.  I've always done my drawings in Paper space.  If I want to doodle outside the the paper bounds I turn off the background.  Duh?? --------  To annoy me, T'CAD opens my older files in Model space although they were done in Paper space.  T'CAD has no quick way to move the drawing to Paper space, you just have to do a Windows Copy and Paste, reposition the grabber (what's the proper name for that thing?) to a vertex, and then snap the drawing to the grid, something easy to mess up. :'(

It's not the program.
I hope this comes across as pleasantly as I intend it:
You are not using Model Space and Paperspace as they are intended-- either in TurboCAD or AutoCAD.

Best to do some reading up or watching tutorial videos... and asking questions here with a positive, open, mind.
We (John and the others) just need to get you from your old, bad, habits/way of drawing, in regards to use of Modelspace and Paperspace, and into using the correct way.
____
If you and some other (experienced) user are willing and able to use WebEx or Windows' Remote Assistance or other interactive, on-screen with collaboration resource, you will quickly learn the correct way of using these types of CAD programs (in regards to Modelspace, Paperspace, and Viewports-- which "links" the two).

Again, I hope the above comes across as pleasantly as I intended it.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:37:42 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)