TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Getting Started with VBScript
Read 6888 times
November 01, 2009, 02:12:00 AM
Hi,

What do I need to start with VB script for use in the TC16 program?
- programs
- knowledge
- editor

Marc

greetings from belgium (Pajottenland)
WIN 8.1/10 - x64
- TC 9 --> TC 16.2 / 52.0 pro Platinum
- AnimationLab 4.4 - MontageCenter 1.0
- CAM plug-in for v 16

* November 02, 2009, 04:52:40 PM
VBScripts run using wscript.exe, which is included as part of Windows. wscript.exe is typically located in the Windows/System32 folder. Some VBScript programs can also be loaded and run from within TurboCAD's Macro Recorder palette.

To create the VBScript, you can use any text editor. Word processors such as Microsoft Word are generally undesirable for creating script files -- they tend to add extra formatting which the script engine won't process. Notepad will do in a pinch, but there are some free programmer's editors available that will do syntax highlighting, and allow you to run the scripts from within the editor. Some free editors I have used include:

Notepad
PSpad (my personal favorite)
jEdit

PSPad and jEdit are superior to Notepad because they support VBScript syntax highlighting, and allow you to run the script directly from within the editor (though a minimum amount of setup may be required on your part).

Most of the knowledge you need is encapsulated in the SDK documentation. When you installed TurboCAD, if you chose to do a Full installation, there is an SDK/Docs folder that contains tcsdk.chm, the current documentation for the SDK. The docs don't contain a lot of VBScript-specific information, but most of the info given is for Visual Basic or for VBA, and is fairly easy to use in VBScript as well (there are some very minor syntax differences).

If you have Visual Basic 6, or care to install Visual Basic 2008 Express (which is free!), the object browsers in those programs will also prove useful in exploring the SDK even if you plan to only prepare VBScripts.

We are in the process of preparing updated documentation that will have some more specific information on how to use the various classes, methods, and properties from VBScript as well as other programming languages. Until that becomes available (and after), feel free to post any questions you may have in this forum.

However, when a new question arises, please start a fresh topic, rather than tacking your question onto another topic. That way the question (and answer) will be more easily found by anyone else with a similar question.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:00:13 PM by kchapman »

November 03, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
Thanks for all the answers.

Yes, I start new topic, it was my mistake.

I think I go to start with downloading VB 2008.

I installed the full version of TC16, so I think I have this files.

Marc,

greetings from belgium (Pajottenland)
WIN 8.1/10 - x64
- TC 9 --> TC 16.2 / 52.0 pro Platinum
- AnimationLab 4.4 - MontageCenter 1.0
- CAM plug-in for v 16

* November 11, 2009, 10:41:45 PM
Hi

Try http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com they have a SDK Wiki but is also still under construction. All methods not described yet, but it's better than nothing!

Good luck

Piet