TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

What PC for using TurboCAD?
Read 2905 times
* October 29, 2009, 03:49:09 AM
Hi, I'm new here.
I expect to be using TurboCAD for work soon so I need a computer that will do it.
I've been looking at "budget" PCs to buy and I'm hoping that it won't cost too much, but the "budget" machines all seem to have on-mobo video chips and I have heard rumours about them being useless for this type of work. I'll be going for an Intel Core Duo CPU probably, since I am not sure an AMD would work with TurboCAD. (Is that true?) I'll be running Win XP on it.

1. Will on-mobo graphics chips cut it with TurobCAD?
2. Assuming not, what's a good video card that TurboCAD will "like"?
3. Will 1 GB of RAM be enough or will I fall asleep waiting for things to happen? (=>2GB needed)
4. Are there any other issues that I should know about relating to the above?

Thanks folks.
Greg

* October 29, 2009, 04:17:46 AM
I'll wait for the "experts" to reply to the TurboCAD requirements.

However, I would question whether 1Gb will be adequate for most Win-XP Applications!!

Would suggest a min of 2Gb, but would even suggest considering 4Gb!

October 29, 2009, 04:53:36 AM
not sure an AMD would work with TurboCAD. (Is that true?)
Absolutely incorrect! My 5 yr old AMD laptop's main use is TC 

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* October 29, 2009, 05:49:48 AM
Hi Greg

I ran the render test on two machines of similar built, the only difference was one having a graphics-card and the other one running on-board - There was no difference in performance, TuboCAD seems to make little use of the GPU and mainly rely on fast CPU and RAM. I doubt that performance will significantly rise with more than 2GB of RAM.
Check out this thread:
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,856.0.html

Kurt Zingg
TurboCAD Pro 6.2 - 16.2 Mec, TC-CAM 3.5

* October 29, 2009, 02:44:35 PM
Thanks everyone.
Looks like TurboCAD won't need anything too amazing for basic work, bearing in mind that I won't actually need to render images at this stage. CPU grunt and RAM, lots of it and I should be okay.
I'll be back soon with more noob questions.