TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Creating Custom Button Icons Without Background
Read 1484 times
* December 09, 2013, 07:19:25 AM
Hello All,

For my first time, I just modified a Pop-Up Toolbar, adding the Edit|Clear Selection (Delete) command, using the button icon image that John shared a while back.

I notice that the icon that John shared, and most all of the program-provided icons have no background.

Question:  Within TurboCAD (without Photoshop, or a program like that) how can we create icon images without background?  Or, at least, not have the background show on the button icon?

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:02:13 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 09, 2013, 09:48:11 AM
I used to use the color rgb=236, 233, 216 as a background. The program used to recognize that as transparent. When they installed the "dark" theme, something changed and that color no longer works.

You can use the Button Editor to create an icon, though it's a PITA 'cause it's so small and one can't zoom. When you first open the dialog, the foreground is completely white and the Background is transparent (has a checkerboard look). Activate the "eye dropper" tool and click in the transparent Background box. Select the "Flood Fill" tool and click in the "Picture" field. The white should be replaced by a checkerboard, denoting that it's transparent. Now you can select a tool (pixel, line, rectangle, circle), then a color and then create an icon. Where it's completely transparent, the button background for the Theme being used should show in those areas. I do notice in the "dark" theme that the background goes black instead of the gradient shade. You can also select the Eye Dropper & transparent, then use one of the drawing tools to basically "erase" whatever you want in the foreground.

Edit: The "Copy" option in the "Tools" area doesn't work, but "Copy Button Image" (Local Menu) does.

If you place a toolbar containing my Delete icon above the drawing area (Menus, Standard & Property toolbars area), the background will show. An icon created in the Button Editor is transparent anyplace.

A downside to custom icons, they don't appear in the Tools palette; just a blank space.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:52:28 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 09, 2013, 10:08:28 AM
Alvin,

In case you or anyone else wants to edit images similar to photoshop, without actually having photoshop, there are a number of online photo editing site available even for free.  Just upload the image you want to edit, work your editing magic, (such as removing a background for instance) then save back to your file.  One such site I have used is http://pixlr.com/editor/.  I'm sure others may have other favorites as well.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* December 09, 2013, 10:16:25 AM
I used to use the color rgb=236, 233, 216 as a background...

Thanks for the detailed reply John... and the screen-captures.  -Alvin

Alvin, ... One such site I have used is http://pixlr.com/editor/.  I'm sure others may have other favorites as well.
Dan

Thanks Dan.  I'll have a look at that site.  I would bet that it's one that I will use... and likely use often.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:18:05 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)