TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

PumpJack Test animations
Read 4623 times
* December 09, 2013, 06:54:37 PM
Here are a couple of test animations of my new Pump Jack Design, both only 480 x 320 pixels, because of the number of parts and grouping and the fact that every position of the parts has been calculated at 7 decimal places and not morphed, it has brought animation lab to a virtual halt, but am hoping to remedy this by stopping after each frame and rendering manually.
 The rendered version, which is only a test took over 6 hours with only 97 frames, and I have a 4ghz 8 core with 32Gigabytes of memory. The second is a hodge podge test with redsdk hidden line, and left some extra wire ropes in so not very good, but again took about 2 1/2 hours.

The rendering needs to be done after each frame has all the commands carried out in wireframe, it takes in my opinion tens of times longer to carry out commands for each frame while still in full render mode.

I intend to solve the render problem before starting a lengthy animation in full render mode.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:05:16 AM by Michael Geraghty »

December 10, 2013, 02:09:01 AM
Hi Michael,

well, all I can say is - brilliant!  This is what animation is made for; a moving illustration of designed artefacts.

I do hope you are using more than "32meg of memory".  ;D

Good luck, with your experimenting.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:16:29 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

* December 10, 2013, 03:03:32 AM
Hi Michael,

well, all I can say is - brilliant!  This is what animation is made for; a moving illustration of designed artefacts.

I do hope you are using more than "32meg of memory".  ;D

Good luck, with your experimenting.

Regards Tim

I never noticed that I had typed 32meg of memory Tim, it should have read 32 Gigabytes.

* December 10, 2013, 12:53:10 PM
Hello Tim, it started out as a model for artwork, then decided to turn it into a physically working pumpjack, a number of variations from a traditional pumpjack, without the beam ballast weights or the synchronised hydraulic ram it could pull 56,000lb as a straight through pull through a non return valve at the head as well as a non return at the oil reservoir, and it would be pulling through an 8inch bore. This version has half all the 56,000lb force catered for in the beam and pitmann arm counter balance weight, and the rest is a plc synchronised hydraulic ram for the extra pull. The gearbox is my own bevel reduction gearbox design, mainly to try something different. A few things to iron out yet, and no doubt I will refine it over the coming months. I have thousands of files with calcs and test files over the last 3 1/2 months, plus  burning the midnight oil every night. It should all pay off though as I intend to venture into kinetic sculptures this year and getting the animations the way I want them is an important part of it.

Here is a link to the original design as was a month or so ago, but that was not catering for a balanced rod string and head, so everything on the beam beefed up now to cater for the traditional balanced string method, plus all the counter balance weights.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,12442.msg74874.html#msg74874

* December 12, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Looks terrific Michael, I really like the hidden line allowing both sides to be seen despite the extra dashed lines, (I have never used RedSdk so don't know if this is normal).

Andy

* December 14, 2013, 10:05:11 AM
Looks terrific Michael, I really like the hidden line allowing both sides to be seen despite the extra dashed lines, (I have never used RedSdk so don't know if this is normal).

Andy

Hello Andy, the redsdk is hidden line without any transparency, so hidden line is hidden, but where surfaces occupy the same area, as with the stiffeneres in the ballast weight on the beam, they are not positioned inside the wall thickness, but matching the outside and giving a partial hidden line appearance.

December 20, 2013, 12:39:11 PM
Fantastic animation Michael. This illustrate good what you can do with AL.
Kai Sannes

Kai Sannes, DAKnor. Norwegain TurboCAD seller and instructor.
Laptop ASUS G75V. -  Ram 16 GB - Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-3630QM, 2,4GHz  (CPU Benchmark 7.674)
Nvidia Geforce GTX, 670M, 3GB  (Video Benchkark 1.910)

* December 21, 2013, 04:12:15 PM
Fantastic animation Michael. This illustrate good what you can do with AL.
Kai Sannes

I only hope I can achieve what you have achieved with animation lab Kai, certainly a lot of factors come into play, a lot more help on the scripting possibilities from SoftDev woul be a major benefit, and would sell a lot more units of animation lab, pity they do not have a section on the forum. The multiple renders of the same frame as each group actor is moved needs addressing, all commands for each frame should be carried out in wireframe, and then fully rendered, returning to wireframe and then carrying out the next series of commands.

Wishing you well for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!.

January 02, 2014, 10:11:23 PM
Bravo Michael, bravo!  This is amazing.  I can't even imagine the work that went to this.  You never cease to amaze.  It's a shame FAA doesn't have an animation upload option.  Keep up the great work.  I am looking forward to your new creations in 2014. Cheers.

David

David V.

* January 03, 2014, 03:37:59 AM
Thanks David, a lot of work but worth the time spent. I hope you are well, and that 2014 brings lots of interesting things with your work. I like your animation work also, the sacred geometry animations are fascinating, really well put together and thought out with the music also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOO-Pzrp7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mah_9ZqbpQ0

Mike Geraghty

January 22, 2014, 07:05:16 AM
Michael, have you made this videoes with TurboCAD and AnimationLab?
Do you use a script for these, and how long time did you use to render it?
Kai

* January 22, 2014, 06:30:10 PM
Michael, have you made this videoes with TurboCAD and AnimationLab?
Do you use a script for these, and how long time did you use to render it?
Kai

Hello Kai, the animated gifs were made with Turbocad and Animation lab in Montage Centre, First of all I used the constrained geometry to get my positions, by printing out every frame of the constrained geometry with dimensions, which took quite a while, then I set up a spreadsheet to generate the commands with the dimensions for every frame added, which also took a long time, but a lot of the movements were not regular so had to do it that way. I eventually saved from the spreadsheet and created all the command files *.cmd.  Our main problem with animation lab, is it re renders after every command is executed, which means the more components that you can join together into one solid the better, even if you have to create a new file to achieve this.

(I want animation lab to render frame one, then return to wireframe and carry out all the commands in wireframe mode , then render the next frame, returning to wireframe again and so on with every frame. This method stops multiple renders of the same frame, but have not successfully achieved it yet).

The redsdk hidden line took about 2 1/2 hours, and the lightworks raytrace full took about 6 1/2 hours.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:35:08 PM by Michael Geraghty »

January 24, 2014, 02:03:27 PM
Michael. This videoes was fantastic. Awesome work.
Kai  :) :) :) :)

* March 10, 2014, 08:03:23 AM
Outstanding Micheal. My favorite it Pumpjackv17 test for anilab cleanv3.gi...Ideal for turbocad website

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* January 08, 2015, 04:43:32 PM
Must pull this back out of the drawer and get some more artwork out of the pump jack this year, it had been put to one side while I ventured into something else.