TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

stretch tool & moving vertex
Read 6347 times
* October 24, 2009, 08:14:02 AM
How would you move just one vertex on say a box so that it is no longer a box.  I tried the stretch tool and it moved the entire box or I could not select a vertex.  I'm using v14.1 basic edition.

* October 24, 2009, 09:08:52 AM
How would you move just one vertex on say a box so that it is no longer a box.  I tried the stretch tool and it moved the entire box or I could not select a vertex.  I'm using v14.1 basic edition.

3D Box or 2D Rectangle? You can't distort a 3D "Solid" by moving just one vertex, but you can do it with a 2D object or a 3D "TC Surface." Easiest way is to select it with the Edit tool, then simply select one or more vertices and either drag with the mouse or enter suitable Delta values in the Inspector Bar.

If you're not sure whether a 3D object is a TC Surface, select it and look at its designation in the top window of the Selection Info palette. If it is not a TC Surface, then explode it as often as necessary (one or two times) to make it so. You can convert it back to a Solid if you wish by putting a check in the 3D|Solid Mode box in the lower window of the Selection Info palette. (You may see a warning message about the perils of such a transformation.)

Henry H

* October 24, 2009, 11:26:32 AM
If you have the "Facet Editing" tool (Edit / Facet Edit), that might be close to what you want.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* October 24, 2009, 12:49:01 PM
If you have the "Facet Editing" tool (Edit / Facet Edit), that might be close to what you want.

I tried that, but didn't really do what I want, but maybe I'll have to try again.  Takes me awhile to get the hang of these tools.

* October 24, 2009, 01:42:47 PM

3D Box or 2D Rectangle? You can't distort a 3D "Solid" by moving just one vertex, but you can do it with a 2D object or a 3D "TC Surface." Easiest way is to select it with the Edit tool, then simply select one or more vertices and either drag with the mouse or enter suitable Delta values in the Inspector Bar.

If you're not sure whether a 3D object is a TC Surface, select it and look at its designation in the top window of the Selection Info palette. If it is not a TC Surface, then explode it as often as necessary (one or two times) to make it so. You can convert it back to a Solid if you wish by putting a check in the 3D|Solid Mode box in the lower window of the Selection Info palette. (You may see a warning message about the perils of such a transformation.)

Henry H

That sort of worked.  I got one facet to stretch, but then when I went to move the another vertex, it either would not work or snapped to odd locations. 

Attached are two images of what I was trying to do.  These were done in designCAD.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* October 24, 2009, 06:39:29 PM
Attached are two images of what I was trying to do.  These were done in designCAD.

Be sure the box that you intend to distort is a "TC Surface." Select it; right-click to open the Local Menu; choose "Edit Tool." Place the cursor on the corner to be moved; left-click and release the mouse button; move the cursor (the box corner will now be attached to the cursor) to the destination corner of the other box, as shown in the attached screenshot; press "V" on the keyboard to anchor it there.

Henry H

* October 24, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
Thanks, Henry, for the description & illustration.  My version just doesn't do that.  I changed it to a TC shape and did what you said, but the corner did not stretch.  what happened was the whole box changed size and it was anchored in the opposite corner of the box.  I guess the basic version of TC is very limited.

* October 25, 2009, 09:27:07 AM
Thanks, Henry, for the description & illustration.  My version just doesn't do that.  I changed it to a TC shape and did what you said, but the corner did not stretch.  what happened was the whole box changed size and it was anchored in the opposite corner of the box.  I guess the basic version of TC is very limited.

I don't think your version is that limited: I just tried the exercise in v12.1 Deluxe, which is really primitive, and it worked fine. Remember, the object must be a TC Surface; and you must select and move a corner using the Edit tool (not the usual Select tool).

Henry H

* October 25, 2009, 11:06:12 AM
Thanks, Henry, for the description & illustration.  My version just doesn't do that.  I changed it to a TC shape and did what you said, but the corner did not stretch.  what happened was the whole box changed size and it was anchored in the opposite corner of the box.  I guess the basic version of TC is very limited.

I don't think your version is that limited: I just tried the exercise in v12.1 Deluxe, which is really primitive, and it worked fine. Remember, the object must be a TC Surface; and you must select and move a corner using the Edit tool (not the usual Select tool).

Henry H

I'm baffled too.  I did get the academic version, so I'm wondering if there are some major functions that don't work even though it is the "pro" version.  I did convert the box to TC surface and I am using the edit tool rather than the selection tool, but I can't seem to get it to work.  Maybe I should upgrade to v16.2, but I just can't afford the $250 right now, and I don't use the CAD program all that much.

* October 25, 2009, 02:33:45 PM
Perhaps try checking your snap mode ,   maybe Ortho Mode is on.

* October 25, 2009, 07:21:35 PM
Perhaps try checking your snap mode ,   maybe Ortho Mode is on.

I've tried it with snap on and off and ortho mode on & off, and still no luck.

* October 25, 2009, 07:32:50 PM
Thanks, Henry, for the description & illustration.  My version just doesn't do that.  I changed it to a TC shape and did what you said, but the corner did not stretch.  what happened was the whole box changed size and it was anchored in the opposite corner of the box.  I guess the basic version of TC is very limited.

Contributor "AE" suggested that maybe your Ortho mode is ON. I don't think that would account for your problem, but check it anyway ;-)

Another possibility -- I'm really reaching -- is that you've locked one or more of the Delta fields in the Inspector Bar. After activating the Edit tool (NOT the Select tool!), be sure the little "padlock" icons beside the Delta fields are blue (unlocked) and not red (locked). And I'll mention again that you should be working in an isometric view.

Henry H

* October 25, 2009, 07:59:49 PM

After trying every way I could think of to make the operation FAIL, the only explanation I can think of is that you are not using the Edit tool. I get the result you report if and only if I click on a vertex with the Select tool.

Henry H

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:02:42 PM by Henry Hubich »

* October 25, 2009, 08:12:34 PM

After trying every way I could think of to make the operation FAIL, the only explanation I can think of is that you are not using the Edit tool. I get the result you report if and only if I click on a vertex with the Select tool.

Henry H

I double checked the locks on the delta and they were unlocked.  You're right about the edit tool acting like the regular selection tool.  I do get the little arrows and the nodes when I click on the edit tool, but it acts just like the normal selection tool.  I've attached some screen shots. The first is the original box selected with the edit tool, the second is the same box with the cursor anchored to the upper front node.   You can't see the cursor in them, but it is the arrow with the black dot in it.

Chuck

* October 25, 2009, 10:53:53 PM
re: I do get the little arrows...

I get those little arrows if the "Solid Mode" is unchecked in the Box tool. Select the box with the regular Selection tool and Explode the object once or twice. Look at the upper pane in the Selection Info palette when exploding. When the object becomes a "TC Surface", Stop. Now you should be able to use the Edit Tool as Henry described.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

October 25, 2009, 11:28:07 PM
I would draw a triangle through the three adjoining vertices and use that as a base for a pyramid whose apex is the new "stretched" point.

Hardware: 2.67GHz Core I7-920, 18GB 1333 DDR3, Nvidia Gforce GT 220
Software: TC 2018.25.0.41.0 (64)
Setup: UI: Classic, Editing History: Off, Use Choice: Off, Native Draw: GDI

* October 26, 2009, 05:40:01 AM
I did try the explode method, and that seemed to work in moving the vertex at least on one facet, when I went to move another vertex, it would not snap to the same spot as the last one.  I sent TurboCAD a help request to make sure my version can do these things.  I'll have to try the triangle method.

* October 26, 2009, 08:11:09 AM
A geometric primitive is exploded to a TC surface, as John says, to individually edit vertices.  When the surface object is selected with the edit tool, each of its vertices are marked with a blue box.  The vertices in a field selected for moving will turn magenta.  You can pick up one vertex at a time by clicking on it, or more than one by fencing them or shift selecting them, then clicking on one, the others will follow.  The node you've picked up will be the snap point, you have to put them down and reselect a new group or change pickup vertex to snap another.  Vertices snap in the same way as selection reference points.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:13:17 AM by murray dickinson »