TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Worplane and pipes
Read 3778 times
* November 03, 2013, 01:10:44 PM
How it will be the best way to get a worplane on the side of a curved pipe?
or between two pipes?  (the pipe has a round shape)

i tried "by facet" and "3 points" but it has a curved face and never get
the right plane.

* November 03, 2013, 08:00:52 PM

the right plane.

Can't be done. But if you explain why you want to do this, I'm sure somebody here can describe a workaround.

Henry H

* November 03, 2013, 10:10:46 PM
If your pipe really is really a pipe (just chuckling to myself thinking about that modernist painting of a smoker's pipe that carries the admonishment "ceci n'est pas un pipe".  ie it's a representation, not the object it represents), "an agglomerate of cylindrical and toroidal sections", you ought to be able to place a couple of (circular) sections to establish a UCS.  Curved surfaces are featureless in this context, so you have to extract, and work from, implicit geometry, because the only explicit geometry there can be is an end cut plane and the tube's centre and quadrants.

* November 04, 2013, 01:48:27 PM

the right plane.

Can't be done. But if you explain why you want to do this, I'm sure somebody here can describe a workaround.
Henry H

I had a drawing that I needed to place one object between the pipes and leveled with their side,
had to change as I did not find any solution, if someone knows one I always can go back to my original idea

* November 04, 2013, 03:03:51 PM
I had a drawing that I needed to place one object between the pipes and leveled with their side,
had to change as I did not find any solution, if someone knows one I always can go back to my original idea

Duram, Your original design/request can be done; don't give up on the design, if that's what you really want.  We can coach you through it, but first you need to be bit clearer on what you are trying to achieve.

Please expound on and clarify: "I needed to place one object between the pipes and leveled with their side".

If what you are after is what I think you are after, one thing to try is:
  • activate Select Tool
  • activate Make Copy (in Local Menu, and available near bottom of desktop)
  • Select one of your existing pipes, and rotate it 90°
  • now simply resize and relocate the new pipe; and/or 3D Slice the ends; and/or 3D Subtract the first two pipes from the center 90° pipe
An example of using the method described above is attached.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 04, 2013, 08:18:17 PM

One way (works with pipes of any diameter, at any angle, provided that their axes are coplanar):

Make a note of the diameter of each pipe. Enable "Degenerative Faceting" if it isn't already on. Establish a Workplane by Facet on the end face of one pipe. Draw a circle, centered on that face, with a diameter equal to the pipe diameter. Snap to the center of a face of the second pipe and draw another circle, with diameter equal to that of the second pipe. (Be aware that this circle will NOT lie directly on the face of the second pipe.) Activate "Line Tangent to 2 Arcs" and click on one circle and then on the other. Simple Extrude the resulting line, thereby creating a zero-thickness rectangular sheet tangent to the two pipes. Use this object with either "Workplane by 3 Points" or "Workplane by Facet" to create a new WP tangent to the pipes.

Henry H
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:22:50 PM by Henry Hubich »

* November 04, 2013, 10:17:08 PM
I came up with something similar to Henry's idea. I drew a circle on the face of each cylinder the was the same size of the particular cylinder. I then turned on the "Tangent to arc or curve" snap and drew a 3D Polyline between the two circles. Extrude the polyline. Now you have something to use "Workplane by 3 points" on.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* November 05, 2013, 05:09:22 AM
A 3D polyline can be snapped to the centres of the cylinders' end faces, and to its own midpoints between those, giving you an axis midway between them, and points to snap planes to.

* November 05, 2013, 07:32:16 AM
A 3D polyline can be snapped to the centres of the cylinders' end faces, and to its own midpoints between those, giving you an axis midway between them, and points to snap planes to.

Murray are you referring to the assembly by axis tools? (see attachment) created with assembly by axis tools. There are a lot of options with those tools

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* November 05, 2013, 09:24:20 AM
Thanks for all answers, I tried to draw a circle but looked like a hard way as the faces are in different angles, I´ll try the 3dpolyline idea.

* November 05, 2013, 10:16:08 AM
Thanks for all answers, I tried to draw a circle but looked like a hard way as the faces are in different angles, I´ll try the 3dpolyline idea.

Can you post the TCad file?

Henry H

* November 06, 2013, 01:57:12 AM

Murray are you referring to the assembly by axis tools? (see attachment) created with assembly by axis tools. There are a lot of options with those tools

Dean, no, just native snap features.  Cylinders' end faces can be centre and quadrant snapped without having to have reference or construction circles overlaid.   A cylinder's native quadrants aren't always orthogonal or normal to World WP, though, it can depend on how they were created.  You can snap to the features (midpoints, divides, vertices) of a segment of a 3D polyline that you're still drawing, as you create them.  3D polylines go between snaps on different WPs, instead of projections of other WPs' snap points locked onto one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:03:08 AM by murray dickinson »

* November 06, 2013, 05:09:13 AM
"Dean, no, just native snap features.  Cylinders' end faces can be centre and quadrant snapped without having to have reference or construction circles overlaid.   A cylinder's native quadrants aren't always orthogonal or normal to World WP, though, it can depend on how they were created.  You can snap to the features (midpoints, divides, vertices) of a segment of a 3D polyline that you're still drawing, as you create them.  3D polylines go between snaps on different WPs, instead of projections of other WPs' snap points locked onto one."

Thanks Murray, that works great. (see attachment) the red lines are the 3d polylines snapped to the cylinders surface
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:12:23 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3