TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Best Practice - Creating Sheets from a Model ? TCP20
Read 21220 times
* October 26, 2013, 07:12:26 AM
Greetings!
I've managed to create a 3D model of a small cottage which has 3-floors.  I've also included floor joists, roof framing, footings etc.  I was tinkering with extracting the details in the drafting pallet also.

What is the "Best Practice" to extract drawing sheets from this model?  would you put all in the same design?  Or would you reference to separate files?  I've tried the XREF method and extracting sections using the drafting pallet but the entire model appears - even when I try to disable layers.   

Any insight would be most helpful. 

Thanks!

* October 26, 2013, 03:21:37 PM
Greetings!
I've managed to create a 3D model of a small cottage which has 3-floors.  I've also included floor joists, roof framing, footings etc.  I was tinkering with extracting the details in the drafting pallet also.

What is the "Best Practice" to extract drawing sheets from this model?  would you put all in the same design?  Or would you reference to separate files?  I've tried the XREF method and extracting sections using the drafting pallet but the entire model appears - even when I try to disable layers.   

Any insight would be most helpful. 

Thanks!

I would use Viewports in Paperspace-- utilizing Views and Layer Sets in those Viewports that I pre set up in Modelspace.  In Paperspace, I use Viewport->Properties to adjust/set the Viewport scaling and select the Layer Set I want in each particular Viewport.

I'm not suggesting that this is the "best practice"; but it's a method that serves me well, and it seems to me that it would serve well in the type of printed drawings it seems you wish to produce.  I'm a little "behind the times" in regards to Layers manipulation (like a decade behind); Layers Templates and Layers Filters are pretty foreign to me, and I still use and depend on Layer Sets.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* October 28, 2013, 01:02:04 PM
I would use Viewports in Paperspace-- utilizing Views and Layer Sets in those Viewports that I pre set up in Modelspace.  In Paperspace, I use Viewport->Properties to adjust/set the Viewport scaling and select the Layer Set I want in each particular Viewport.

I'm not suggesting that this is the "best practice"; but it's a method that serves me well, and it seems to me that it would serve well in the type of printed drawings it seems you wish to produce.  I'm a little "behind the times" in regards to Layers manipulation (like a decade behind); Layers Templates and Layers Filters are pretty foreign to me, and I still use and depend on Layer Sets.  -Alvin

Attached to this Post are two TurboCAD drawings I drew using version 19.2 Deluxe.  They are two different conceptualizations for real-world methods of framing a "storefront" entry on a typical large steel-building, that entry having an arched roof.

If you wish, explore the drawings.  Take a look at Layer Sets; Named Views I created and their Camera properties; Viewports in Paperspace and their Properties (note:  I have a few of the Viewports set to "Render for Print Only"); etc.

I drew these some time back.  If I remember correctly, in Drawing "...3D-2", Paperspace sheets A-101, A-102, & A-103 were "left over" from a previous incarnation (drawing "...3D-1"), using a different method (metal posts at the roof corners, holding up some arched glu-lam beams, with 2x8 joists hanging from within those).  I scrapped that method for a less expensive method, utilizing roof-trusses (looks like- in Drawing "...3D-2"- I deleted the Blocks that were the metal posts, glu-lams, and joists); in that drawing, Paperspace sheet A-104 is the final sheet, for production design and construction.

I would use this same approach (as described in my earlier Post, quoted above) for a "small cottage" project with 3D Objects... for "extracting drawing sheets" (creating printable sheets in Paperspaces).

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 01, 2013, 03:43:44 AM
Thanks Alvin,
I used the drafting pallet to create elevations and some sections.  But I tend to agree that the viewport method may serve better.  The file size increases exponentially when I use the DP.  A small cabin model w/drawings (4-sheets so far) is over 20mb! 

I also like your suggestion about the Layer Sets because the viewports don't support Layer Filters - which I have made many filters e.g.  A1, A2, A3, S1 for each floor on the cabin. 

I also appreciate you uploading a sample.  I'll take a look.

If anyone else has any suggestions - please chime in!!!

Best Regards,
Eddie.

* November 01, 2013, 09:10:19 PM
I like layer sets and viewports. You can add items to the drawing and they are automatically included in your sheets whereas with the drafting palette method you can't add new things to existing assemblies. Viewports also keep the layer settings for your different elevations. If you explode a viewport you lose the layers (negative) but retain the colours so is easy to move them back into the layer you want.
I have set up my drawing template with predefined viewports for the 5 views (6 if there are 2 floors). As long as I draw my building in roughly the same position every time I can switch to paper space and my viewports are set up. All I need to do is adjust the size and position of the viewport. I find this saves me a lot of time.

I was using the drafting palette to create sections but I found that the section tool was more useful with way I draw. I am able to choose what I want to include in my section. You have to generate a new section every time you change something but it doesn't slow my computer down as much as the drafting palette.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 08, 2013, 03:23:29 AM
Thank you Nikki
I started out testing the drafting pallet and found the same problem with entities not added after you create an assembly.  So I've switched everything to Viewports w/Layer sets.  Just out of curiosity, what benefits do you get from exploding a viewport?

* November 08, 2013, 04:42:39 AM
"You can add items to the drawing and they are automatically included in your sheets whereas with the drafting palette method you can't add new things to existing assemblies."
"I started out testing the drafting pallet and found the same problem with entities not added after you create an assembly."

> You need to reference it > as a block <

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* November 09, 2013, 02:26:29 AM
Eddie I don't often explode viewports because it defeats the object of drawing in 3d.
Sometimes with buildings with multiple stories and sloping ground levels its easier to make a copy of the viewport and explode it to edit out the unwanted lines. When I have to share my drawings with other cad drawers I find that sending a 2d drawing gives me less headaches.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 09, 2013, 05:52:27 AM
"You can add items to the drawing and they are automatically included in your sheets whereas with the drafting palette method you can't add new things to existing assemblies."
"I started out testing the drafting pallet and found the same problem with entities not added after you create an assembly."

> You need to reference it > as a block <

Regarding Dean's tip "You need to reference it > as a block", can anyone corroborate this?  By "it", I am assuming that Dean is referring to an Assembly in the Drafting Palette, or the Objects-- in Modelspace-- that make up the Assembly.

Does "referencing a Drafting Palette Assembly-- as a Block", cause the Drafting Palette Views to actually update with revisions to the Assembly Objects in Modelspace?

That would be a valuable workaround/tip/function; one that helps justify the additional expense of upgrading from Deluxe to Pro-- from a non-Drafting Palette having version to a having-Drafting Palette version.

If it is indeed true, can someone-- or Dean-- please expound on this, giving us the exact method of how to go about "referencing it as a Block".

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 06:38:23 AM

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 08:10:21 AM
See page two of the pdf.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,6594.0.html

Hi Greg.  Thanks for that link.  Not only did I read page two, I read the whole Drafting Palette instructional.pdf.  Very clearly and concisely written; Thanks for that, as well-- for having taken the time and effort to create those instructions and share them on these Forums.

I've used the Drafting Palette a bit in my version-11-Pro, and I've got to say-- like you-- it is one of my favorite features of TurboCAD.  It's way cool.  Drafting Palette seems such a sensible way to present the "how to" of real-world creating something that is modeled.

It was always the lack of associativity and linking/updating that made me hesitant to rely too much on the Drafting Palette method of presentation; but after reading your piece, I understand a method that assuages those concerns.

----
In your instructional, you wrote "Now I will probably take a lot of heat for what I'm about to say here, but NEVER create your
Drafting palette objects in the same drawing as your model(s)."  Did you ever get any negative response from other expert users in regards to that?-- debating that?  I wouldn't think so.

----
Question:  After reading page two of your instructional .pdf, it seems to me that-- when using the method you described, of having a second drawing that contains Drafting Palette Objects--  this second drawing has nothing in Modelspace.  Is that correct?  If that is not correct, what would there typically be in Modelspace in this second drawing, the drawing containing the Drafting Palette Object.

Thanks again for your contribution(s) Greg.  These Forums are great!

-Alvin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:15:41 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 08:25:26 AM
You're welcome.

MS will just show the Xref of the model... which is what you use to create the DP views.

One drawback to using this method is that you cannot turn off individual parts so that they don't show in the DP views... which can be a PITA. Much less so than the DP views not updating though... IMO.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 08:34:20 AM
You're welcome.

MS will just show the Xref of the model... which is what you use to create the DP views.

One drawback to using this method is that you cannot turn off individual parts so that they don't show in the DP views... which can be a PITA. Much less so than the DP views not updating though... IMO.

Got it.  Thanks Greg.

EDIT:  But I am sure-- that to a lot of users, perhaps such as Nikki and Eddie on this Topic thread-- the fact that we cannot "turn off" individual parts of the Model (as by turning off Layers, or having Hidden Graphics in DD) would be too much of a PITA to influence them/us to use the Drafting Palette method, versus the Viewport method, for presentation of working drawings of a Model.  That especially being the case in Architectural work.

----
Seems like TurboCAD's Drafting Palette feature-- as cool and useful as it is-- still needs some work.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:44:08 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 10:22:00 AM
If you are using blocks they can be associated with a “graphic” therefor enabling them to be visible or not in a drafting region which has been inserted in a paper space and or in model space.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* November 09, 2013, 10:39:03 AM
You're welcome.

RE:  "One drawback to using this method is that you cannot turn off individual parts so that they don't show in the DP views"

On a hunch, I did a little experimenting in my TC-vers.11-Pro:

In the Model drawing, if we turn Off a Layer; then in the Drafting Palette Object drawing, we update the XRef link, in that Drafting Palette Object drawing, the Layers are "turned off" in Modelspace as well as within the Paperspace Drafting Palette Objects.

My further hunch is that-- in the more recent TurboCAD versions, with Layers Filters-- the same thing would happen via activating certain Layers Filters.

FWIW  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 10:45:59 AM
You're welcome.

RE:  "One drawback to using this method is that you cannot turn off individual parts so that they don't show in the DP views"

On a hunch, I did a little experimenting in my TC-vers.11-Pro:

In the Model drawing, if we turn Off a Layer; then in the Drafting Palette Object drawing, we update the XRef link, in that Drafting Palette Object drawing, the Layers are "turned off" in Modelspace as well as within the Paperspace Drafting Palette Objects.

My further hunch is that-- in the more recent TurboCAD versions, with Layers Filters-- the same thing would happen via activating certain Layers Filters.

FWIW  -Alvin

That is true... but that effects every DP view in the drawing... not a good thing.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 10:53:06 AM
If you are using blocks they can be associated with a “graphic” therefor enabling them to be visible or not in a drafting region which has been inserted in a paper space and or in model space.

No different then using multiple Xrefs in a drawing... but then you still have the problem that if another part is added to the model... it doesn't show up in the DP view.. and therefore has to be recreated.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 10:53:12 AM
That is true... but that effects every DP view in the drawing... not a good thing.

Not a good thing.

Man... with a little more work, "they" could make the Drafting Palette a very useful and dependable feature.  Even more so than it already is.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 10:55:04 AM

Yeah, Dean, I just played around with it in my version 11-- my only Pro version.  That's pretty cool.

By just trolling/browsing these Forums, I learn a lot of stuff.  Though I have been an intermittent user of TurboCAD for the past over-decade, it was only just the other day-- browsing another Topic thread-- that I learned about Design Director's "Graphic" & "Category" features; those are really handy.

I get it Dean.  I get what you meant by your first post on this Topic (Reply #7).

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 10:55:36 AM

No different then using multiple Xrefs in a drawing... but then you still have the problem that if another part is added to the model... it doesn't show up in the DP view.. and therefore has to be recreated.

That's a good point, as well.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 11:13:36 AM

Okay... how about this:
(Again, I am using my version-11-Pro to experiment)

Without using an XRef, with just one drawing, I am able to
  • Select my whole drawing;
  • Format\Create Block;
  • Insert that Block into Modelspace;
  • Create a Drafting Palette Assembly which is that Block;
  • in Paperspace, insert my Drafting Palette Views;
  • and whenever I Edit/Add to that original-- whole model-- Block (from within the same drawing), that edition/addition is shown updated in my Drafting Palette Views.
For that matter, I am able to do the same thing, omitting step #3.  I am able to-- within the Edit Block window-- Create a Drafting Palette Assembly, which is that Block, of which, it's Drafting Palette views update when I edit/add to the Block.
[EDIT]:  The trouble with creating a DP Assembly within the Edit Block window is that the Inserted Assembly (in Paperspace) doesn't reflect whether the Layers are turned off or on.  By first inserting the Block into Modelspace and then creating a Drafting Palette Assembly from that Block, the Drafting Palette Assemblies in Paperspace do in fact reflect the Layers' settings.  But in order for the inserted DP Assembly to reflect the changes in the Layers settings, we have to first open & close the Edit Block window (at least that's the case in my version-11-Pro).

I'd be interested in reading what are the pros/cons of that.

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:29:55 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 11:48:43 AM

Greg, I’m not talking about Xref’s , just native blocks in the drawing.
1 > Yes, it can easily be created and the block can be  “replaced with” a new block ,the “graphic” is static even if the block is replaced with a new block.
2 >Anything added to the original drafting region block is associated with the “graphic” therefor can be visible or not.
3 >Or, if you only want to see the original drafting region without the added parts  you could “suppress” the operation in the part tree >therefore can be visible or not.

* November 09, 2013, 12:01:54 PM
Again... the only difference between Xrefs and blocks is the Xrefs are external to the drawing... TC still sees them as blocks. Both work the same in the DP.. unless I'm missing something you're saying.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 01:07:52 PM
I am hoping that this can be looked at by the TC developers to consider modifying the DP -- which, IMO is a very handy tool.  Here is what I think we could use:
1)  A DP tool that allows us to update the assembly, similar to the XREF reload tool.
2)  A section tool that allows us to define the depth of the section cut.  E.g. When you cut a section from an assembly object -- the section only see's the object where the line/polyline crosses thru.  This feature if implemented, would make the camera and viewport tools virtually unnecessary to extract details from a model.  Hopefully one of the chief's at TC would be willing to put this on a list to do for us...  We are getting there!  Slowly but surely.  I've always been impressed with this CAD product.  There are better out there, but for the $, you can't beat TC from a home user / side job user. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:15:35 PM by eddie »

* November 09, 2013, 01:14:31 PM
Using the Camera --
Could anyone point me to a good camera set up instruction?  I've been struggling with loading cameras in the design and trying to get saved views for my details.  I keep messing up when switching to camera associated views and so on.  Is it possible to place a camera on the model, then use it as the saved view recall in a viewport?

Again, thanks to you all for your fine contributions.

* November 09, 2013, 01:20:56 PM
Using the Camera --
Could anyone point me to a good camera set up instruction?  I've been struggling with loading cameras in the design and trying to get saved views for my details.  I keep messing up when switching to camera associated views and so on.  Is it possible to place a camera on the model, then use it as the saved view recall in a viewport?

Again, thanks to you all for your fine contributions.

Yes, it is "possible to place a camera on the model, then use it as the saved view recall in a viewport".  In fact, that's probably a principal (le?) use of Cameras and Views.

I'll give you a tip... regarding Cameras.  I hated using Cameras (that is, Camera & Walkthrough Tools) for the longest time; very frustrating.  But then Henry reminded me to turn down the Scroll Speed, found in Camera\Properties.  Now... I really ENJOY using Cameras and the Camera & Walkthrough Tools and moving around my Models.

I really don't use "Cameras" very much-- as in "Insert\Camera".  I find them to not be that useful; someone else may be able to express a different opinion.  I just use the Camera & Walkthrough Tools until I find a view that I like and Save that as a Named View.  Then I often start from this Named View-- or,... from say... a Standard View, such as "World Plan View"-- and, using the Camera & Walkthrough Tools, move around until I find another view that I like, and Save that as a Named View.

Checking and un-Checking "Camera Centered"-- in Camera Properties--  really makes a difference as well.  "Camera Centered" is more intuitive, as it mimics viewing through a camera in real life; but sometimes, using that setting, you just plain lose sight of your model ("where did it go?").  So, I'll often alternate between "Camera Centered" and-- once I get close to the view I'm looking for-- un-check "Camera Centered".

-Alvin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:20:49 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 02:00:06 PM

Okay... how about this:
(Again, I am using my version-11-Pro to experiment)

Without using an XRef, with just one drawing, I am able to
  • Select my whole drawing;
  • Format\Create Block;
  • Insert that Block into Modelspace;
  • Create a Drafting Palette Assembly which is that Block;
  • in Paperspace, insert my Drafting Palette Views;
  • and whenever I Edit/Add to that original-- whole model-- Block (from within the same drawing), that edition/addition is shown updated in my Drafting Palette Views.
For that matter, I am able to do the same thing, omitting step #3.  I am able to-- within the Edit Block window-- Create a Drafting Palette Assembly, which is that Block, of which, it's Drafting Palette views update when I edit/add to the Block.
[EDIT]:  The trouble with creating a DP Assembly within the Edit Block window is that the Inserted Assembly (in Paperspace) doesn't reflect whether the Layers are turned off or on.  By first inserting the Block into Modelspace and then creating a Drafting Palette Assembly from that Block, the Drafting Palette Assemblies in Paperspace do in fact reflect the Layers' settings.  But in order for the inserted DP Assembly to reflect the changes in the Layers settings, we have to first open & close the Edit Block window (at least that's the case in my version-11-Pro).

I'd be interested in reading what are the pros/cons of that.

Thanks, Alvin

Cons:

1. You have to do all your work in the Blocks Palette... changes, additions, Boolean operations... etc.

2. Turning off layers of blocks does not effect what is shown in the existing DP views... and even new ones... depending on sequence.

3. Files size can become very, very large.

4. File corruption can be major problem if you have everything in one file... you lose everything.

Pros:

1. Same as using Xrefs... but internal rather than external.  ;D

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 02:01:32 PM
I am hoping that this can be looked at by the TC developers to consider modifying the DP -- which, IMO is a very handy tool.  Here is what I think we could use:
1)  A DP tool that allows us to update the assembly, similar to the XREF reload tool.
2)  A section tool that allows us to define the depth of the section cut.  E.g. When you cut a section from an assembly object -- the section only see's the object where the line/polyline crosses thru.  This feature if implemented, would make the camera and viewport tools virtually unnecessary to extract details from a model.  Hopefully one of the chief's at TC would be willing to put this on a list to do for us...  We are getting there!  Slowly but surely.  I've always been impressed with this CAD product.  There are better out there, but for the $, you can't beat TC from a home user / side job user.

I've bitched, screamed, and hollered on these issues for years... since the DP was first introduced.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 02:10:17 PM
Cons:

1. You have to do all your work in the Blocks Palette... changes, additions, Boolean operations... etc.

2. Turning off layers of blocks does not effect what is shown in the existing DP views... and even new ones... depending on sequence.

4. File corruption can be major problem if you have everything in one file... you lose everything.

Pros:

In regards to your #2 Con, Greg:  In my version-11-Pro, I am able to get Layers to turn off/on in a DP view (of a Block) if I open and close the Edit Block "window" while Layers are set to what I want to appear in my DP views.  I assume that it functions the same in the more recent versions-- even if by "accident", on the part of the developers; but

I totally agree with your Cons #3 & #4; I thought you would list those.

Again, Thanks for the contribution, Greg.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 02:14:24 PM
Cons:

Pros:

In regards to your #2 Con, Greg:  In my version-11-Pro, I am able to get Layers to turn off/on in a DP view (of a Block) if I open and close the Edit Block "window" while Layers are set to what I want to appear in my DP views.  I assume that it functions the same in the more recent versions-- even if by "accident", on the part of the developers; but

I totally agree with your Cons #3 & #4; I thought you would list those.

Again, Thanks for the contribution, Greg.  -Alvin

I'll have to give it a try that way.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 02:42:41 PM

In regards to your #2 Con, Greg:  In my version-11-Pro, I am able to get Layers to turn off/on in a DP view (of a Block) if I open and close the Edit Block "window" while Layers are set to what I want to appear in my DP views.  -Alvin

I'll have to give it a try that way.

In version-11-Pro, we can either:
  • Change Layers visible, then open/close the Block Edit "window"; or
  • Open the Block Edit "window", then change the Layers, then close the Block Edit "window"

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 03:45:45 PM

The best way to work with layers in a drafting region is from within the drafting region properties, you can assign a” Part internal source Id” to a specific layer then the part can be toggled on and off in the layer palette > therefor updating the visibility in the drafting region that is inserted in the drawing.  Or you can assign the part as a “graphic” as I mentioned earlier.  There are many settings that can be assigned to each “part internal source Id”.
See attached video, though I can’t use one of my own drawings I have set up the assemblage drawing found in the samples folder.  Watch closely how the  visibility can be toggled on or off  and how the drafting region updates after I have added a part to it. The drafting region is a powerful feature, it’s deep with a lot of settings to consider but I find does a good job once you figure out how it can be utilized.  It’s like anything else with turbocad, It might not be exactly how you want it to work but once you find  the/a way that it does work you stick with it.
>unless you stumble across a BUG!....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R50Gf2LhUbY

watch it in full screen and give it some time to come into focus.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:49:32 PM by Dean »

* November 09, 2013, 04:06:56 PM

The best way to work with layers in a drafting region is from within the drafting region properties, you can assign a” Part internal source Id” to a specific layer then the part can be toggled on and off in the layer palette > therefor updating the visibility in the drafting region that is inserted in the drawing.  Or you can assign the part as a “graphic” as I mentioned earlier.  There are many settings that can be assigned to each “part internal source Id”.
See attached video, though I can’t use one of my own drawings I have set up the assemblage drawing found in the samples folder.  Watch closely how the  visibility can be toggled on or off  and how the drafting region updates after I have added a part to it. The drafting region is a powerful feature, it’s deep with a lot of settings to consider but I find does a good job once you figure out how it can be utilized.  It’s like anything else with turbocad, It might not be exactly how you want it to work but once you find  the/a way that it does work you stick with it.

Dean, Can you define-- in TurboCAD tool/function/feature terms-- what exactly you mean by "drafting region".  I did a Search on these Forums for the term "drafting region", and the only Forum Member that came up that has used that term is you.  I have to assume that you learned this term elsewhere, and-- for those of us not "officially" CAD-trained, it's kind of hard to follow along with your Posts on what you are trying to communicate... including the YouTube video you were generous enough to produce, upload, and link.

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:45:55 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 04:27:12 PM

I understand what you are doing... you can do the same with Xrefs.

The problem is... that if you insert a separate, new part as a block into the assembly... it will not show in the existing DP view. For example... if you need to add a mating gear to the one you have... and you add it as a separate part/block into MS... it will not show in an existing DP view.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 05:18:47 PM

I understand what you are doing... you can do the same with Xrefs.

The problem is... that if you insert a separate, new part as a block into the assembly... it will not show in the existing DP view. For example... if you need to add a mating gear to the one you have... and you add it as a separate part/block into MS... it will not show in an existing DP view.
Any modifications to a block which is part of an assembly will be updated including adding a new separate block which has been defined  if it's inserted while in the " block editor" of the original block. 

:)sorry Alvin, it's regen a "drafting office regen object."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:21:31 PM by Dean »

* November 09, 2013, 05:45:13 PM
Any modifications to a block which is part of an assembly will be updated including adding a new separate block which has been defined  if it's inserted while in the " block editor" of the original block. 
:)sorry Alvin, it's regen a "drafting office regen object."

"Any modifications to a block which is part of an assembly will be updated including adding a new separate block which has been defined  if it's inserted while in the " block editor" of the original block. "
That's the way I saw it, after experimenting with it today in my TC-ver.-11-Pro.

----
" :)sorry Alvin, it's regen a "drafting office regen object."
"Drafting office regen object":  Are you sure that was written correctly?  If yes... I (and others, I assume) are still not clear.  What, exactly, in TurboCAD is a "drafting office regen object"?  Is it a Drafting Palette object/view?

-Alvin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:21:28 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 06:06:10 PM
video 2 > adding a new block to an active drafting assembly. I created the new block in model space then added it by using the above method. The assembly updates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MCX9XLMA8

:)Like I said, it might not be exactly how you'd want it to work but it works.

* November 09, 2013, 06:19:18 PM
The gear 5 then becomes part of the other block... a nested block. It looks like you've come up with a method that works for you... kudos.  :)

When I first started using the DP... I worked in the Block Palette for a short while to create DP views... but as my assemblies become more complex with dozens of parts... the nested blocks started getting hard to keep track of... for me anyway.

Again... glad this works for you... probably would for a lot of people.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 09, 2013, 07:01:59 PM
Reading through the Drafting Palette section in my version-19 Help .pdf, I came across the attached two pages.

They talk about the ability to Lock and UnLock a Drafting Palette View.  It states that "You can lock assemblies and views so that they do not refresh every time you modify the model or the layout."  The Help pages also state that there is an "Update View" feature in Drafting Palette.

This is interesting, because it seems like "they" had/have intentions for the Drafting Palette view to "refresh" (update) every time we "modify the model or layout".

Did you guys already know about this?  Is it a feature that is in the Help, but actually is not built into TurboCAD Pro?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:51:33 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 09, 2013, 07:42:13 PM
Note the architectural opening tool doesn't work in block edit mode

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 09, 2013, 09:03:42 PM
Note the architectural opening tool doesn't work in block edit mode

Nikki, I’m not quite sure what you’re doing but in general if you have created an drafting assembly containing a wall, roof etc… why use the block editor, any modifications to the architectural element will update in the linked/inserted drafting assembly  when you modify it in model space.

* November 10, 2013, 04:18:20 AM
Reading through the Drafting Palette section in my version-19 Help .pdf, I came across the attached two pages.

They talk about the ability to Lock and UnLock a Drafting Palette View.  It states that "You can lock assemblies and views so that they do not refresh every time you modify the model or the layout."  The Help pages also state that there is an "Update View" feature in Drafting Palette.

This is interesting, because it seems like "they" had/have intentions for the Drafting Palette view to "refresh" (update) every time we "modify the model or layout".

Did you guys already know about this?  Is it a feature that is in the Help, but actually is not built into TurboCAD Pro?
It exists in Platinum...not sure about Pro. I believe the reason behind this is that when there are many DP views in a drawing... it can take an extremely long time to update/refresh all the views when a change is made to a model. On some of my assemblies... it can take 10-20 minutes to update... sometimes longer... just from moving something a fraction of a mm. DP views on all sheets/pages are updated when a change is made.. unless they are locked.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 10, 2013, 06:19:24 PM
Dean I do a lot of design work. Clients change their minds a lot and  creating a block right at the end of the job so that I can see the elevations is not always practical.
I don't use the inbuilt doors and windows because a lot of the windows and doors that are standard here cannot be created easily.
Its a pity that the architectural opening tool doesn't work in edit block mode.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 12, 2013, 06:39:57 AM
Dean I do a lot of design work. Clients change their minds a lot and  creating a block right at the end of the job so that I can see the elevations is not always practical.
I don't use the inbuilt doors and windows because a lot of the windows and doors that are standard here cannot be created easily.
Its a pity that the architectural opening tool doesn't work in edit block mode.

Nikki,
I’m aware that you can’t use the “opening” tool in block edit mode. Are you just making a point? How does this relate to “drafting assemblies? I’m still confused by what it is exactly you are doing . Check out the attached video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GNUI0mXVA
Once again using a drawing from the samples folder, I selected the architectural elements needed to create my drafting assembly elevation view. After inserting the drafting assembly in the drawing I then changed the style of window which is an (2d-3d block insertion) and the drafting assembly updated. This is great for those demanding clients. Does this help? Or is it I’m not following you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:41:34 AM by Dean »

* November 12, 2013, 06:54:49 AM
Dean I learnt the hard way that the opening tool doesn't work in the edit block mode. It was frustrating for me because I use the opening tool in preference to the door and window tools (I just don't like them.)
I thought that if other architectural people that use the opening tool were planning on using the drafting palette that it would be nice to be aware of the fact that the opening tool doesn't work in the edit block mode before they had a drawing that went wrong.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 12, 2013, 09:34:09 AM
i'm not shore if i get the point here :)

It is possible to change a opening inside Block Editor, select the block, got to BE, select the object,go to SI and do the change you want, go back to BE and check/save and the opening changes, and updates inside draft.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* November 12, 2013, 06:58:43 PM
Torfinn you can edit openings but you cant add new ones. I use presets with custom properties to create window and door schedules so its easier to delete an opening and add a new one then to change all the custom properties again, and find the appropriate 2d and 3d blocks.
I like the drafting palette if the opening tool worked with the block method or if you could add to an existing assembly, the drafting palette would be the obvious way to go.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 13, 2013, 12:54:18 AM
Hi Nikki

Still not follow, i can change size/ type etc inside BE>SI>BE, i can change block, i can add new block, delete some, and everything get updatet in the exsisting draft section, horisontal and vertical

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* November 13, 2013, 02:38:02 AM
The architectural opening tool?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 13, 2013, 03:01:47 AM
Yes
See attached

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* November 13, 2013, 03:32:39 AM
did you try to put a new opening in when you were in edit block mode?
It doesn't work on my system - never has in any version.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 13, 2013, 04:17:01 AM
Hi Nikki

No, thats not possible ( i believe ), you will have to go out of edit mode before insert a different opening in the wall.

I can clearly se the benefit of making doors and windows by opening tool, with possebility to add attributt's that can be taken out by database or a table, and if you basicaly work with some standard type of walls, everything is predefined to perfect fit.
But i dont understand why you need/ want to insert a new opening in the wall when standing in block edit ??

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* November 13, 2013, 04:41:43 AM
I change my mind a lot
For openings I use custom properties (because openings come in as groups and I haven't found a way to extract attributes from a block within a group.) I have about 15 custom properties for glass doors. I would have to change all that info manually. Why? when its easier to delete and bring in a new opening. And what happens when I need a new opening?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:45:14 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 13, 2013, 05:02:50 AM
If I can help clear things up, Nikki and Torfinn.  I think I understand where you two aren't getting each other.

It starts with the discussion of the use of the Drafting Palette (versus Viewports).  It has been offered and accepted-- on this Topic-- that the only way for users to get Drafting Palette views to update is if the Drafting Palette Objects are that of a Block, including the optional External Reference Block.

That's where Nikki contributed the tip:  "Note the architectural opening tool doesn't work in block edit mode" (Reply #40).

Torfinn seems to be questioning why use the Architectural Opening tool in Block Edit mode: yes, we know, it doesn't work in Block Edit mode, so use it in Modelspace.

But it seems to be accepted that the Drafting Palette views do not update if they are from Objects from Modelspace.

Which brings the discussion/non-understanding between Nikki and Torfinn back full-circle.

EDIT:  But it does bring to mind a question:  The Help Documentation indicates that there is an "Update" Drafting Palette views option.  Why is there that option/function, if users cannot update from Modelspace?  Is it just that it's a feature that is broken?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:20:30 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 13, 2013, 08:05:59 AM
I change my mind a lot
For openings I use custom properties (because openings come in as groups and I haven't found a way to extract attributes from a block within a group.) I have about 15 custom properties for glass doors. I would have to change all that info manually. Why? when its easier to delete and bring in a new opening. And what happens when I need a new opening?

:)Nikki you can extract the data from objects or Entity marks with a database from the “block” while in “EC” and or you can create an optional database in “model space”. there are (which you know) numerous ways of extracting the data.  As for Drafting assembly > elevation views, these can easily be created and are updated when changes are made.  > did you see my last video?

* November 13, 2013, 09:25:18 AM
I was not wonder why you want to change the block, for that there could be a million reason, i wonder why this need to happens you need to insert a new block in the same time as you were in edit mode, i.e. Block Editor :)
The edit mode is in many way like a woman think the male brain work, 1 thing at the time  ;) :) in my opinion

Torfinn
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:57:40 AM by Torfinn »

RedSDK enabled

* November 13, 2013, 05:15:19 PM
Dean the viewport system works well for me. I can see the merits of the drafting palette but it doesn't work with the way I draw.
I have tried it  and been disappointed when I couldn't change the drawing the way I wanted to. I ended up exploding the block which was a bad move because everything lost its associativity with the walls.

Torfinn my whole model would be a block. To edit it I would need to be in the block edit mode.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* November 13, 2013, 05:39:07 PM
Dean the viewport system works well for me. I can see the merits of the drafting palette but it doesn't work with the way I draw.
I have tried it  and been disappointed when I couldn't change the drawing the way I wanted to. I ended up exploding the block which was a bad move because everything lost its associativity with the walls.

Torfinn my whole model would be a block. To edit it I would need to be in the block edit mode.

And there's nothing wrong with using both Viewports and the Drafting Palette; using one doesn't necessarily exclude beneficially using the other.

Example:  What if you, Nikki, had some elaborate timber-frame trusses in the house you are modeling and creating construction drawings of.  Along with your normal Viewports, and perhaps some, Perspective View Viewports or something--  just for "eye candy" and referencing--  you could have a Block that is your timber-frame trusses, and you could use the Drafting Palette in Paperspace to detail to the craftsmen exactly how to build the trusses.  For example.

Or what if you had a very custom cabinet that you wanted built exactly as you envision, complete with some very detailed interior shevling.  Again, you could make that a Block, and insert the construction details in Paperspace via the Drafting Palette. With that cabinet in place in the middle of your house model somewhere, it would be tedious to get all the view and sectionals, etc. into Paperspace via Viewports... the Drafting Palette would work well for that type of construction detail as well.

It is my belief that one does not have to use either Viewports or the Drafting Palette exclusive of each other in the same drawing; and in fact, a user could likely benefit from using both.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 13, 2013, 05:53:08 PM

Ok, Thanx Nikki for explaining further on the issue.
There really should be a “warning dialog ” for when you explode a block linked to an architectural object.  ;)I’ve been there myself more than a few times.

* November 14, 2013, 12:06:16 PM
Very interesting discussion and feedback.  Thanks to the group for providing such detail.   I will discuss with development to see if what we can do to make the DP more useful based on this feedback.

* November 14, 2013, 12:20:09 PM
One thing we didn't discuss here:  Dimensioning and Annotating.

For good reason, many users prefer to Dimension and Annotate (via Leader Dimensions and Text) in Modelspace; there's been many good discussion points over the years supporting this.  With Viewports and Layer Sets, that can easily be accomplished.

Using the Drafting Palette, it has to be done in Paperspace.  Which is okay, if you want to-- or are willing to make the change to-- work(ing) this way.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 15, 2013, 03:17:57 AM
I concur with Dave Taylor.  Thanks to everyone for such a detailed response to a question I never thought would generate such good insight.  ("What a TEAM!") 

Since my last post, I've been building sheets in my model - - which may be risky, since I have everything in one file -- and stumbled across a problem that may be something I'm doing wrong: 

When I use the camera and layer sets to save a section view from my model to use with a viewport, and place the viewport in my sheet, I get all layers turned on when I select my saved view from the viewport dialog upon finishing the insert viewport tool.  Then I have to manually un-check all layers not needed in that viewport.  I thought the later sets was supposed to be active in that saved view????

What am I doing wrong?

* November 15, 2013, 05:27:00 AM
I concur with Dave Taylor.  Thanks to everyone for such a detailed response to a question I never thought would generate such good insight.  ("What a TEAM!") 

Since my last post, I've been building sheets in my model - - which may be risky, since I have everything in one file -- and stumbled across a problem that may be something I'm doing wrong: 

When I use the camera and layer sets to save a section view from my model to use with a viewport, and place the viewport in my sheet, I get all layers turned on when I select my saved view from the viewport dialog upon finishing the insert viewport tool.  Then I have to manually un-check all layers not needed in that viewport.  I thought the later sets was supposed to be active in that saved view????

What am I doing wrong?

Unless it's changed with version-20:

You have to pre-define your Layer Sets in Modelspace.  Then-- in Paperspace Viewports-- towards the bottom-right of the Viewports' Properties|Viewport page, you select the Layer Set you want to use for that particular Viewport.

I set up my Layer Sets-- in Modelspace-- and work with them in Modelspace, to mimic the eventual Layers I want to show (i.e.: a "Layer Set") in my eventual Viewports in Paperspace.   Example:  I have Layer Sets named "Foundation"; "Floor Framing"; "1st-Floor Floorplan"; "Framing"; "2nd-Flr. Floor-Framing"; "Sectionals"; etc.

----
One thing that I have done recently that I like:  Via my Customize Workplace function, I have dragged out a Layer Sets button to the very right side of my Menu toolbar, so that I can quickly and easily toggle between the different Layer Sets, including "All Layers".
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:33:58 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 15, 2013, 02:02:04 PM
I found it!  That is nice.  Thanks Alvin
I also like your idea about the command button to launch the LS manager.

* November 15, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
I found it!  That is nice.  Thanks Alvin
I also like your idea about the command button to launch the LS manager.

Hi Eddie.  My "idea" wasn't so much about "the command button to launch the LS manager".  Rather, it was simply relocating the "Layer Sets" button, which is normally found via Menu->View->Layer Set, which allows us to toggle to the Layer Set we want active while drawing in Modelspace.

I toggle through my Layer Sets so much, that I found (per advice from another user, this Forum... Bob Burgess?; Jon Coxwell?... don't remember) that I want it to be one-click less to get to it.  See below screen-capture.

----Incidentally, that "Layer Set 0" you see there in my screen-capture is the result of:  In a Viewport's Properties|Viewport dialogue page, adding or deleting a Layer up in the individual "sub-window", where we can choose individual Layers.  When we do that, the resulting Layers that are visible in the Viewport are different than a particular Layer Set, so TurboCAD assigns its own name.  I have found-- if you are tempted to just "clean house", and delete that TurboCAD-named-Layer Set--  don't do it; the Viewport that is using it will revert to All Layers being visible (I believe that's correct; someone more experienced than I might want to substantiate that.  I know for sure that it does have unexpected/undesired consequences.)

-Alvin

[EDIT:]  After searching these Forums, I found that previous Topic discussion, regarding that "Layer Set" button, and moving it to the Menu Bar.  Seems that some version-20 users were having issues with not only being able to relocate the button, but having issues with working with Layers and Layer Sets if/once it was relocated.  I am working with version-19.2-Deluxe (Build 54.2), so I do not know if this has been remedied with updates to version-20.  Just be aware,... I guess I'm saying.
Link to that Topic here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:06:23 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 16, 2013, 04:59:51 AM

Once again using a drawing from the samples folder, I selected the architectural elements needed to create my drafting assembly elevation view. After inserting the drafting assembly in the drawing I then changed the style of window which is an (2d-3d block insertion) and the drafting assembly updated. This is great for those demanding clients. Does this help? Or is it I’m not following you.

Where is the Sample Folder located?  I have the download version, I it isn't included, would anyone be willing to post the sample file Dean used in his video?

* November 16, 2013, 06:00:43 AM

Where is the Sample Folder located?  I have the download version, I it isn't included, would anyone be willing to post the sample file Dean used in his video?

Eddie, My version-19 is a downloaded install as well.  My Samples Folder is located here:

C:\Users\Alvin Gregorio\Documents\TurboCAD Deluxe 19\Documents

Alvin Gregorio