TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

How to use TurboCADCAM
Read 6053 times
* August 19, 2013, 07:04:51 AM
I am new to the CAM software and have been unable to deduce how to generate G code (and save it) when I have completed a drawing in Turbocad. Can someone aim me in the right direction? I have Turbocad Professional 16.2 and Turbocadcam 3.5

August 20, 2013, 09:22:06 AM
Do you have the CAM pallet loaded up? One the pallet is loaded, select its tab. You may have to click the refresh icon to see your program. Now you can right click the part name, then scroll down & select "Save G-Code To File".

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* August 21, 2013, 01:13:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have tried and must be missing something so I have tried to follow the instructions in the first CAM tutorial. I want to engrave a logo on the surface of a metal block, the idea being to pocket mill within the cartouche and leave the word letters untouched, To this end I have put the logo in TurboCAD-(Screen capture 1), clicked on start CAM job, functions,pocket milling, and clicked on the cartouche and letters to define the pocket milling limits.(Screen capture 2) The Tutorial then  instructs to click on the chequered flag (finish) to display the tool path prior to generating and saving the G code. Only trouble is that when I click on the finish icon nothing happens! What have I missed?

August 23, 2013, 09:58:24 AM
Can you upload the file?

TurboCAD user since v3

* August 24, 2013, 02:42:15 AM
Here is the file just before clicking "

August 24, 2013, 03:45:18 AM
I mean, can you upload the TurboCAD file?

TurboCAD user since v3

* August 24, 2013, 05:37:37 AM
Puzzled as to what format to save file in, as I didn't spot tcw. Apologies.

August 24, 2013, 06:49:19 AM
Is this what you are trying to achieve? if so, you will need to explode the text 3 times, the delete the solid fill inside each letter, you will then have outlines of letters. Next, you will need to select all of your letter shapes & explode them 1 more time. You can now use those letter shaped polylines as islands.

TurboCAD user since v3

August 24, 2013, 08:14:15 AM
I had to explode all of your graphics & then delete a lot of stuff & reassemble. It was all splines. Plus there were multiple lines stacked on top of one another. They had to be converted to polylines.
Here the g-code. I don't have v16.2 to do a conversion. Also here is a link to a dxf file of your logo

https://app.box.com/s/whexse0xdbs6q7otttav

TurboCAD user since v3

* August 24, 2013, 09:23:10 AM
Thank you so much for spending the time on this. I got the logo from a friend and did not know how it was created, only that it must be too complex for the CAM software to handle. What I am actually trying to achieve is to pocket mill inside the cartouche and outside the letters leaving the letters proud of the milled background inside the cartouche. I have thus far managed to to this for the letters "ente" which are all constructed from straight lines, but the two "C"'s have utterly defeated me!

August 24, 2013, 09:49:04 AM
From the DXF?
In v20, I was able to do this, & I posted the G-Code.

Correction, v19.2

Here is a render of the cam program
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:07:06 AM by Kenneth Martin »

TurboCAD user since v3

August 24, 2013, 10:09:34 AM
When you create your pocket, start by selecting the outermost edges, rectangle, then, while holding down the shift key, select all of the letter polylines inside of the rectangle, then click finish.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:16:34 AM by Kenneth Martin »

TurboCAD user since v3

* August 25, 2013, 02:30:49 AM
Thank you very much for all your help on this. The key to the whole saga is the one piece of information you gave me which is NOT in the tutorial on my version, namely the need to hold down the shift key! Success at last, thank you again.

August 25, 2013, 05:58:19 AM
No problem, that is the reason we are here. BTW, another thing about your project, where did the graphic come from. As I said earlier, it was comprised of many splines, some stacked on each other. All of the profiles need to be closed polylines, with the exception of circles & elipses. Just remember that, & it will save you some grief . While I am drawin something to be machined on my router, I always have the snap to vertex turned on. Sometimes, if I have multiple snaps active, the snap to vertex does not always work, so I will right click & use the local snap menu & select vertex. Glad I could help.

TurboCAD user since v3

* August 26, 2013, 12:36:49 AM
The logo originated as a photograph of a machine part and was transferred to TURBOCAD by a friend who is much more experienced than me!

* August 26, 2013, 01:12:11 AM
I've been working with Robin on this CenteC logo problem. As a result of your comments I've redesigned the logo to use the Ariel Black font, which I exploded twice, removed the fill, and then added radii at the internal corners. Each letter is a closed polyline. 
When we, Robin and I, try to generate the toolpath for pocket milling, the "ente" characters are accepted fine, but we cannot get the "C"s accepted.
This is most mysterious as all the letters were created the same way.
I have attached the TCW that is causing us problems.
Any suggestions?
We are using TC 16.2 Plat, and CAM 3.5 for V16.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

August 26, 2013, 03:23:00 AM
You need to explode the letters one more time & that should do it. Also, everything was not on the same work plane.

TurboCAD user since v3