TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Custom wood images for furniture
Read 2033 times
* October 19, 2009, 07:35:14 AM
I have had the benefit of your help before although I can't find my user name so have reregistered.  I would be really grateul for some advice on the above. 

I am using v15 pro but cannot seem to get my wood images to appear properly on components.  I can find the images I want to use but am struggling with settings.  My approach is to make .1mm veneers to apply to the faces of components so wrapping is not really necessary, but perhaps a different approach would be better.  My thinking in taking this approach is that I can orient the veneers to get the right grain direction and that move them into place.

Sorry if this all sounds very vague but I have only just started using v15 in earnest and settings don't doesn't seem to work in quite the same way as earlier versions I have used.

Many thanks,

Jim

* September 27, 2012, 07:57:53 PM
I have had the benefit of your help before although I can't find my user name so have reregistered.  I would be really grateul for some advice on the above. 

I am using v15 pro but cannot seem to get my wood images to appear properly on components.  I can find the images I want to use but am struggling with settings.  My approach is to make .1mm veneers to apply to the faces of components so wrapping is not really necessary, but perhaps a different approach would be better.  My thinking in taking this approach is that I can orient the veneers to get the right grain direction and that move them into place.

Sorry if this all sounds very vague but I have only just started using v15 in earnest and settings don't doesn't seem to work in quite the same way as earlier versions I have used.

Many thanks,

Jim

You'll have to create a new material for each kind of veneer. Use "Wrapped filtered image" Pattern and navigate to the desired wood image. The suggestions for the rest of the necessary settings that I outline in the next paragraph ought to get you started, but you should anticipate considerable trial and error in order to get everything just right...

For the Reflectance, try "Mirror," setting Ambient Factor and Diffuse Factor to 1.0, Specular Factor to 0.4, Mirror Factor to 0.1, and Roughness to 0.06. Set Transparency and Texture to "None." Wrapping can get tricky. Perhaps the easiest approach is to create your 3D veneer piece in the World Workplane, with the 1 mm thickness in the Z direction. Then set Wrapping to "None" AND THEN go back to the Pattern window and fiddle with the Scale and Aspect ratio parameters. Try setting Scale to 50 and leave Aspect ratio at 1.0.

Assign the new material to the piece of veneer, render in Raytrace Full mode, and decide which material settings need to be changed. Repeat as necessary.

Post again if you run into trouble.

Henry H
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:00:06 PM by Henry Hubich »

* October 05, 2012, 09:37:27 AM
Thank's Henry,  I have only just picked up your message because it had gone into my Spam folder.  I will give what you suggest a try and come back if I still can't get it to work.

Jim

* August 02, 2013, 12:04:57 AM
Furniture is an important need of every house.Its increase house decoration and attraction.A good quality wood makes good quality furniture. So always be identified wood before buying furniture.