TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Workplane Issue
Read 2224 times
June 11, 2013, 11:24:30 AM

I am running version 20 TurboCad pro on windows 8. From what I can gather the source of a re-occurring problem I am having is due to part of the drawing being on another work plane.
I am able to select everything in the drawing and by way of the Modify menu can "Place on Work plane". This helps to a limited degree. As I continue in the drawing the problem re occurs.
I assume somewhere in the settings for the drawing - I am in the 3D mode - is this my problem and if so how do I get out of the3D mode for good.

I would also like to vent a bit here - I am running into a variety of problems in getting used to version 20 and would greatly prefer to look things up in the manual. The manual that came with version 20 is nearly useless though -IT HAS NO INDEX-  and at 1,317 pages it is more than problematic to look things up.  I have given up on the manual and will likely send it to re-cycling!

As much as I am frustrated with the manual - I am in equal measure pleased and thankful for this forum - but I feel it an abuse to post every time I have a problem. I know I can search the forum for and answers and I always try that firs,t but that  is a bit slow and cumbersome at times and I am in need of getting work done - not sink time into the minutia.

* June 11, 2013, 04:06:15 PM
For when you only want to work in 2D mode, click the selector properties icon (next to the rotate entry boxes), select general tab, and change to 2Dmode, the just to make sure, I'd suggest selecting plane by world, hopefully you then won't have workplane issues.

I don't have the manual, but the pdf manual and online both have an index, there is also the wiki which John has put an index to locate itesm on the wiki.

Andy

June 11, 2013, 05:51:12 PM
Thanks Andy - that helped.
 I will check out the online and pdf manual.

Darrell

* June 11, 2013, 05:59:57 PM
Sorry for not being a complete help, I believe in the program setup there is an Option to run TC in 2D only but I can't find it. Maybe another user with a better memory may chime in with the answer.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

June 11, 2013, 07:27:01 PM
Darrell,

I generally use the 3D selector mode.  The work plane seems to be more stable.  Your post caused be to go and look in the docs for 2 & 3d selector modes.  Read that and it may help clear up the mystery.  One thing to be aware of is that when you select an object in 2D Selector mode the WP automatically changes to match the object selected.  In 3d the WP does not change unless you reset it to something else.  I have found that WP's can be a problem and I often will select the objects I am working with and place them on a set WP.  I use a lot of different WP's so it can be confusing.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

June 12, 2013, 05:25:58 AM
Thanks Jon - yes, WP can be confusing. I will read the docs on 2D & 3D selector modes.

Darrell

June 12, 2013, 06:52:26 AM
Sorry for not being a complete help, I believe in the program setup there is an Option to run TC in 2D only but I can't find it. Maybe another user with a better memory may chime in with the answer.
Don, I would be interested in this setting as most of my drawings are done it 2D and I've often thought it would be a good feature to be able to lock it into 2D only.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

June 12, 2013, 06:55:24 AM
Darrell, I have also had problems in the past with inserting other drawings into mine from other sources where a block has been made and parts of the block are on different workplanes. It's worth checking out for any blocks and exploding them and making sure all are on the same workplane else it can create problems further down the line when snapping to endpoints etc!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

June 12, 2013, 06:58:20 AM
but I feel it an abuse to post every time I have a problem.

I can't imagine who would feel abused.  Of course one normally attempts to search out an answer, but  in my case I often don't know the terms I should be searching for, since  so many of them  are unique to the particular software.   Also the techniques for solving any given problems are usually distinct.  There is no industry standardization.  So if you know how to do a thing in Software A you won't likely be able to do it in Software B and  there is no reason to believe that any of the  techniques and terms  will translate from package to package either.

For me, much of the time I am trying to figure out how to begin solving the problem and  with just a little push in the right direction ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So don't be shy about asking, Besides, I'm pretty sure that's exactly why the forum exists.

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

June 12, 2013, 07:01:09 AM
I agree with Cliff. If I hadn't had this forum to find answers in the last couple of years I'd have been lost. Keep asking, we're all her to share knowledge  8)

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.