TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Surveyor units
Read 5881 times
* May 18, 2009, 10:40:38 PM
Does anyone know the proper way of entering surveyor bearing units (when Drawing System>Angle>Angular System is set to 'Surveyor') in the Angle box on the inspector bar?  I can't seem to find any documentation on this, and it's quite inconvenient to type that little 'degree' circle.  I need to enter data from legal property descriptions to map out some properties, and I would sure love to know if there's a neat trick to make it quick and easy to enter the data.

Thanks in advance,

ejamesr
(using TurboCAD 15 Designer 2D)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:42:27 PM by ejamesr »

* May 19, 2009, 03:51:23 AM
I just click the start point and move the mouse in the basic direction needed and tab to the inspector bar and edit the numbers.  It would be nice if there were a shortcut to enter the degree symbol.

* May 19, 2009, 11:16:06 AM
I just click the start point and move the mouse in the basic direction needed and tab to the inspector bar and edit the numbers.  It would be nice if there were a shortcut to enter the degree symbol.

I just use "Alt+0176" or "Alt+248" to create the degree ° character. It seems to be a lot easier than editing existing text. This is where you hold the Alt key, type either one of the numbers on the numeric keyboard, then release the Alt key. The degree sign then appears.

It would be nice if SoftDev could designate the "d" character as an alternate to the degree symbol.

John R.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:31:07 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 19, 2009, 12:50:08 PM
I just use "Alt+0176" or "Alt+248" to create the degree ° character. It seems to be a lot easier than editing existing text. This is where you hold the Alt key, type either one of the numbers on the numeric keyboard, then release the Alt key. The degree sign then appears.

It would be nice if SoftDev could designate the "d" character as an alternate to the degree symbol.

John R.

I do that when entering text.  I use a notebook so I have to enter Alt+Fn+mj7o.  I can never remember the mj7o part so I have to get my stronger reading glasses just to see the little numbers on the front edge of the keys.

* May 19, 2009, 01:12:29 PM
re: I use a notebook so I have to enter Alt+Fn+mj7o.

My wife uses a laptop when she's away from work and plugs in a wireless keyboard & mouse. There's no way she could crunch numbers in Excel without a real keyboard.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 19, 2009, 05:41:37 PM
So, it seems there's not an easy way.  For now, I'll just copy the degree symbol so I can use ctrl-V to insert it.  That seems to work when entering relative coordinates. 

It would also be nice if TurboCAD were a bit more forgiving in this, allowing spaces also.  Also, I second the motion to use something like N 10d5m32s E (with or without spaces).  What's the process for getting this change on the docket?  It worked similar to that in my old copy of QuickCAD, if I remember correctly.

Thanks,

ejamesr

* May 19, 2009, 08:46:30 PM
re: What's the process for getting this change on the docket?

Go to Turbo Talk —> Wish List
Start a thread there expressing your needs on why "d m s" would be a good thing, which it is. I'm sure Dave will look into getting it added, if possible.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit