TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

2D objects- Can I make one block dissapear behind another block.?
Read 17984 times
April 23, 2013, 04:11:51 AM
I am drawing some trees in elevation on a 2D drawing and would like to make them dissapear behind where the house is without having to  go through deleting those areas. Can this be done?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 23, 2013, 06:56:00 AM
If "Send to Back" doesn't work, you could try "Layer Order". How about a 'Solid' hatched polygon over the area to be hidden.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

April 23, 2013, 03:39:26 PM

Daz...
V2018 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

April 24, 2013, 12:42:35 AM
John, I'm not sure how you would use the solid hatch boundary method. If you produced the solid hatch wouldn't that then obliterate the drawing of the house underneath, or would you then turn off the layer that had the hatch on, but then wouldn't the tree behind then be visible?
Darell, The X Clip seems to work but it clips away the part of the tree I want to remain. Is there a way to reverse the order of the clip so the parts outside the clip boundary remain?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 24, 2013, 03:42:36 AM
Nick,

Can you show us what you are trying to achieve. I would have thought that you would need to alter the boundary for what you need. I don't think their is a reverse option.

Daz...
V2018 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* April 24, 2013, 05:07:33 AM
In the picture below (the 2D "Augusta" sample), I added a Tree symbol, then a rectangle with a solid hatch in Modelspace. I selected both and used "Format / Send to Back". They both went behind the house. I had to use "Send to Back" on the Tree a second time to move it behind the rectangle. Everything looks OK in Paper Space.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 24, 2013, 06:14:38 AM
In the picture below (the 2D "Augusta" sample), I added a Tree symbol, then a rectangle with a solid hatch in Modelspace. I selected both and used "Format / Send to Back". They both went behind the house. I had to use "Send to Back" on the Tree a second time to move it behind the rectangle. Everything looks OK in Paper Space.

Okay, John.  Now print to Black Only, as almost all us 2D architectural draftspersons [that don't use Print-Styles] do (for building-department submittal/approval, as well as actual construction plans)

Of course, I'm just making the point that this type of "solution" is often recommended by Expert Users on these Forums, that do a lot of color, 3D work.  Using Solid-Fill Hatches and the Send To Front and Send To Back tools only works when printing in Color.

-Alvin

EDIT:  I guess if one is using Print-Styles, and all those Print-Styles were set to Black, one could print in Color, and check the "Use Print Styles" option in the Print Window.  The Solid Hatch (assuming it is White) will print White (in appearance) on paper, but all the other-  non-Hatch-  Objects would print Black.  But if one has a drawing that is pretty far along, and has not yet set up Print-Styles, it would could take a lot of effort to set them.

I've attached an example little drawing, with Print-Styles used as described.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:56:00 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

April 24, 2013, 08:35:00 AM
John, it doesn't seem to work for me. When I highlight the solid hatch pattern and click on 'send to back' nothing happens.
Darell, I've attached a simplified drawing of what I was getting at. The original drawing was more complex and it would have been much simpler to make the building outline the area to be removed and not the other way round. It would be a nice touch to be able to reverse the order of subtraction.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 24, 2013, 08:53:27 AM
John, it doesn't seem to work for me. When I highlight the solid hatch pattern and click on 'send to back' nothing happens.
Darell, I've attached a simplified drawing of what I was getting at. The original drawing was more complex and it would have been much simpler to make the building outline the area to be removed and not the other way round. It would be a nice touch to be able to reverse the order of subtraction.

RE: "When I highlight the solid hatch pattern and click on 'send to back' nothing happens."

Maybe it was already "at the Back", Nickam.  Maybe try selecting the parts of the tree that you want to show in the Front-Elevation, and Select "Bring To Front".

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 24, 2013, 09:06:58 AM
I changed the "Clip Boundary" layer color to Black, then changed the filled polyline on that layer to "By Layer". I changed the polyline Pen & Brush "Convert Color…" settings to "No". Now the hatched polyline is behind the house and the tree is behind the polyline. There are probably other ways to get to the same place.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 24, 2013, 09:11:07 AM
Blimey John, that's a bit long-winded. I'm not sure I'd remember to do all that every time I wanted to clip something. It would be great if the clip tool could just have a reverse subtraction setting  ;)

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 24, 2013, 09:24:24 AM
It is long-winded, because I was having problems.

The simple way, is make the hatched polyline Black and change the "Convert Color…" settings to "No".
<edit> Change the Polyline "Pen Width" to "0". </edit>
Then use "Send to Back" on the hatched polyline and the tree.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:31:05 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 24, 2013, 10:49:42 AM
Trouble is John, if I change the 'convert colour settings' to 'No' then most other things dissapear too as I'm working on a black background  :-\

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 24, 2013, 02:17:10 PM
John, I'm not sure how you would use the solid hatch boundary method. If you produced the solid hatch wouldn't that then obliterate the drawing of the house underneath, or would you then turn off the layer that had the hatch on, but then wouldn't the tree behind then be visible?
Darell, The X Clip seems to work but it clips away the part of the tree I want to remain. Is there a way to reverse the order of the clip so the parts outside the clip boundary remain?

Can you simply draw a different clip boundary? Then change its line Pattern to "$INVISIBLE" to hide it.

Henry H
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:18:57 PM by Henry Hubich »

April 24, 2013, 02:29:25 PM
I can Henry, it's just easier to do a boundary over the rectangular building than around the irregular shaped landscape features.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 24, 2013, 02:33:34 PM
re: …if I change the 'convert colour settings' to 'No' then most other things disappear too…

Are you changing the "Convert Color" on the Background page? I said I changed it in the Properties for the hatched Polyline only.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 24, 2013, 05:43:07 PM
I can Henry, it's just easier to do a boundary over the rectangular building than around the irregular shaped landscape features.

OK. I didn't see landscape features in the drawing you posted.

Henry H

April 25, 2013, 12:21:04 AM
Yes, sorry Henry, I posted a simplified drawing to illustrate the point. The original drawing was much more complicated with a lot of landscape features which would have necessitated caution in windowing around all of them without removing other information that was to remain.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 25, 2013, 12:24:44 AM
John, sorry about that. I obviously missunderstood your post. I did turn off the convert colour options under the options, background colour. I have now done what you said, and it works OK and the drawing looks OK but there is another problem. When I convert the drawing to a PDF which was happens to most of my drawings to send off for Planning approvals, the area within the hatch is showing as just black. See attached!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 25, 2013, 12:32:34 AM
It would seem to work if I work on a white background (see attached). It would mean getting used to that as I've always worked on a black background. It might be easier just to accept I'll have to be careful when using the clip boundary or just exploding the landscaping block and deleting everything within the bounds of the building :-\

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 25, 2013, 03:03:33 AM
I found that if I changed polyline back to White, it would print as you want it to. You still have you Black background for the entire drawing, but the house looks terrible 'on screen'; until you turn off the layer with the white polyline.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* April 26, 2013, 04:57:23 AM
I am drawing some trees in elevation on a 2D drawing and would like to make them dissapear behind where the house is without having to  go through deleting those areas. Can this be done?

Nick,
> You can use the pick point hatch tool on 2d blocks and grouped objects.
> For printing on white use a custom “color dependent print style “.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

April 26, 2013, 06:15:15 AM
Dean, I think I'd need some more settings as my version seems to remove the tree from the building but also obliterates the windows.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 26, 2013, 06:59:41 AM
Has anyone thought about using the 2D Subtract Tool--  perhaps in conjunction with (after use of) the notorious nefarious Join Polyline Tool/AutoJoin if needed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:17:46 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

April 26, 2013, 07:42:20 AM
Alvin, the 2D subtract doesn't seem to work on the tree as it's a block. To use the join polyline on the tree would take too long due to the amount of segments to join. Now, if you could window the tree and get it to join polyline then that wouldn't take so long!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 26, 2013, 07:54:38 AM
Alvin, the 2D subtract doesn't seem to work on the tree as it's a block. To use the join polyline on the tree would take too long due to the amount of segments to join. Now, if you could window the tree and get it to join polyline then that wouldn't take so long!

That's why I was thinking the AutoJoin "feature" of the Join Polyline Tool might actually be useful here, Nickam.
  • Move the Tree Block to where it's all by itself
  • Explode the Block to where it is Lines and/or PolyLines
  • Use the Join PolyLine Tool with AutoJoin activated
  • Move that Tree back to it's desired position
  • 2D Subtract a boundary-of-the-house PolyLine From the Tree PolyLine
Just an idea, to get you guys headed off in another (maybe simpler) direction.

I don't have version 20, nor a recent Pro version; nor do I have a decent 2D Tree Symbol to use in my version-19-Deluxe... otherwise, I'd give a go myself, and Post the results.  (plus, I'm knee-deep in finalizing the first-submittal of this commercial-project)

Good Day.  (Or should I say:  Good Evening!  -- Pints are a-brewin'!)

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* April 26, 2013, 08:05:14 AM
Hey!!-- I just had a great idea!!

• Place the Tree Block somewhere in Modelspace, out of the way of everything else
  • Create a Named View that is that Tree Block (Select the Tree Block, and Zoom|Selection-> Named View|New)
  • In Paperspace, Insert two separate Viewports:  One is the House Viewport, and one is the Tree Block Viewport
  • Edit the Nodes (using the Ctrl. key to add some) of the Tree Viewport, Vertex-Snapping to the boundaries of the house  (Leaving the Running-Snap, Vertex active will enhance and quicken this process)
I think that'll work. :-\

-Alvin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:06:51 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

April 26, 2013, 08:15:02 AM
I haven't used autojoin before. It doesn't seem to work for me. I tried doing a window to autojoin but nothing happens ???

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 26, 2013, 09:32:40 AM
I haven't used autojoin before. It doesn't seem to work for me. I tried doing a window to autojoin but nothing happens ???

No Window, Nickam.  Not anymore.  This has been discussed ad nauseam on a different Topic.

If all the endpoints of all the Lines and/or Polylines that make up "the tree" are connected (their vertices/endpoints are connected), the much-complained about AutoJoin feature (it seemingly almost always activates, by default) of the Join Polyline will Join the whole danged tree into one Polyline.

Anyway, it's a method for you and/or John and Henry to explore.

-Alvin

In my current project I was actually able to use the Join Polyline/Autojoin Tool/feature beneficially, multiple times.  I almost hate to say that, given my comments (which I still stand by) on the other Topic I linked to.  Please-- Dave Taylor and Rip Fowler-- don't be mislead or misdirected by this statement.

Alvin Gregorio

* April 26, 2013, 08:15:58 PM

No Window, Nickam.  Not anymore.  This has been discussed ad nauseam on a different Topic.

If all the endpoints of all the Lines and/or Polylines that make up "the tree" are connected (their vertices/endpoints are connected), the much-complained about AutoJoin feature (it seemingly almost always activates, by default) of the Join Polyline will Join the whole danged tree into one Polyline.

Anyway, it's a method for you and/or John and Henry to explore.

-Alvin

In my current project I was actually able to use the Join Polyline/Autojoin Tool/feature beneficially, multiple times.  I almost hate to say that, given my comments (which I still stand by) on the other Topic I linked to.  Please-- Dave Taylor and Rip Fowler-- don't be mislead or misdirected by this statement.

They're not :-(

Henry H

April 27, 2013, 03:14:14 AM
Bob, the layer orders settings don't seem to make any difference on mine. I set them to '1' and '2' respectively as you said!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 27, 2013, 03:31:20 AM
Have you tried Alvins suggestion?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

April 27, 2013, 03:35:24 AM
Yes Nikki, I looked at it but it would seem that to join the lines so they are polylines you would have to click on each seperate line after exploding the tree as you can't window the tree and get it to join all the lines within the window. To click on each of the lines on something like a tree would take too long!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:03:58 AM by Nickam »

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 27, 2013, 04:18:51 AM
I have been having a play with this problem this morning and have sort of come to a conclusion over the best way to approach this. I think ultimately the best method is that suggested by John R. I give my reasons for this:
1. The xclip method would be OK if you can make sure you can window a boundary around all the landscape objects and not miss anything. I also assume that once you've clipped the objects you can't get back the clipped area if the design of the shape of the building in front changes. So you would have to reinstate anything lost.
2. The layer order method didn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there but I looked in my TC trainging guides and there is nothing about layer order there to enlighten me  :-\ .
3. The join polyline method doesn't seem to work very well as I don't seem to be able to easily and quickly use the join polyline tool on an object with many individual lines.
4. John R's method of using a boundary with a solid hatch works if the colours are set right for the printing. Another advantage of this method is that if the design of the building is changed then you just have to alter the boundary of the hatch and the landscape objects reappear. You can also have multiple, overlaid landscape objects with some behind the building and some in front as they may be on site (see attached PDF). To work on the drawing in model space you just turn off the layers for the solid hatch and the landscape features as you would do normally anyway.
So, in conclusion it would appear that John has won the teddy bear for the best method so far of achieving this. Unless, of course, someone else has a better idea  ;D

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 27, 2013, 04:41:32 AM
Nick another method that I use might be acceptable for you? Select your 2D house and give it a minute 3D thickness, select the tree and give it a minute 3D thickness and then move it down the Z axis so it is physically behind/below your house. In your paper space viewport set up to suppress hidden lines and your house should then hide the tree.

If there are a lot of single lines in the house drawing you could run a polyline around your house and give that a thickness below the work plane and that 3D object should block what is below it.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:59:42 AM by RobinM »

Robin
TCP14P/19Platinum

April 27, 2013, 05:00:04 AM
I'd be a little wary of using this method Robin as I've found that by giving a line a 3D thickness (usually inadvertently) it's caused other problems with the 2D drawing!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 27, 2013, 05:25:38 AM
Have you tried Alvins suggestion?

Yes Nikki, I looked at it but it would seem that to join the lines so they are polylines you would have to click on each seperate line after exploding the tree as you can't window the tree and get it to join all the lines within the window. To click on each of the lines on something like a tree would take too long!

How about my other suggestion:  Using the two Viewports?

(Odd that someone created that tree symbol, but for some reason, the endpoints are not connected.  Odd that someone-- who was knowledgeable enough to create the symbol--  would draw it that way.

----
Nickam, can you save your file as a version 19, and upload it here.  I'd like to have a crack at it this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:29:11 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

April 27, 2013, 06:37:16 AM
The tree symbol was downloaded from one of the many CAD blocks web sites Alvin. It was an autocad dwg file if that makes any difference. I have attached the drawing as a version 19 file!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 27, 2013, 02:21:57 PM
Dean, I think I'd need some more settings as my version seems to remove the tree from the building but also obliterates the windows.

Here ya go Nick, see attached (rev1) file. In your situation due to the contents in the drawing I used a combination of layer order and pickpoint hatch tool took about two minutes. Did you draw all original entities in turbocad? My feeling tells me other.  Toggle the layers side view, wipeout and tree block .
Normally I find  in native turbocad drawings the pickpoint hatch tool  is a swift method of wiping out 2d entities that overlap only when Turbocad likes it and wants to. ;)

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* April 27, 2013, 03:39:17 PM
Attached is the result of using a variation of my additional Viewport and adding & editing it's nodes method.  Took about 2 minutes.

I might play around with another method in Modelspace.  I'm trying to think simple.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:24:02 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* April 27, 2013, 11:57:17 PM
Sorry Nick I was referring to the viewport method.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

May 01, 2013, 01:36:09 AM
Yes swasacase, but how did you achieve it?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* May 01, 2013, 04:01:59 AM
Nick I have been playing with Alvins viewport method. I like the way it works.
Position your tree somewhere in model space. Create a view for the tree.
Go to paperspace.  Draw a closed polyline roughly where you want the tree. Use edges of the house as the edge of the viewport.
Go to insert viewport. At at the bottom of the screen there is an icon to use a shaped viewport click the icon then select the polyline. select the view and enter.
Now select the viewport. Go to workspace tiled modelspace, use the middlemouse button and control shift to pan the tree in to the position you like. You can also change the size of the tree.
Go back to paperspace. You can change the edges of your viewport by doing a node edit. You can use the same tree to draw a whole forrest too.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

May 01, 2013, 04:05:09 AM
Sounds good Nikki, I'll give it a try!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

May 01, 2013, 09:19:10 AM
Yes Bob, I think your idea is very similar to John R's idea which I prefer. You just have to be aware of the colours for the hatch else irt doesn't print correctly as a PDF, especially if you use the black background. It's also easy to change the hatch boundary if the design of the house changes. Another aspect of this way is that you can also have trees behind and in front of the hatch.
swasacase - I don't think your idea would suit me as I use many different colours for my drawings as they are quite complex details sometimes and it helps to establish pen widths and printing colours. Mostly I print in black with different pen widths but sometimes I have to show different areas in colour on the print!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* May 01, 2013, 09:21:15 AM
Hi Nicham, Is the attachment what you are trying to achieve in model space, tree behind the house. If so, it can easily be created by hatching the house (colour white), send the hatch to back, create a group of the house and hatch, place the tree in position and send to back. Presto the result as shown. Took one minute to achieve.

Winner!- Winner!  That's the best one yet, Bob.

I especially like the fact that it's all in 2D.

----
Did you have to pay for those nice tree-symbols?  Or did you find them for free somewhere on the 'net.  I sure like them.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:55:22 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio