TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

New TurboCAD Pro V20 Tutorial
Read 16792 times
March 26, 2013, 08:00:45 PM
Textual Creations is very pleased to announce the release of TurboCAD Pro V20 - Modular Cabinets with Kitchen Scene

TurboCAD Pro V20 - Modular Cabinets is a 419 page fully illustrated tutorial that leads the reader through every keystroke to produce the kitchen scene that is pictured on the cover of the tutorial.

TurboCAD Pro V20 - Modular Cabinets is available on the Textual Creations Shopping Page. Sample pages are available there.

From the Introduction:

TurboCAD is, without a doubt, the ideal companion for any cabinet maker needing to lay out kitchens in a timely manner. This is especially so if a user spends some initial time creating a modular cabinet system that makes resizing and placing cabinets a breeze. The benefits don't stop there. Once the layout is established a user can easily create dimensioned drawings and realistic renders to share with those in the shop, with one's marketing team and with prospective customers.

Within the tutorial the reader will be led through each keystroke to create a modular cabinet system that will be used to create the kitchen scene illustrated on the cover of the tutorial. To help create a much more pleasing final scene the author has supplied several household items (created in TurboCAD) that the user will place during the tutorial. Aside from learning how to draw in TurboCAD, the user will learn how to insert standard lighting and how to utilize render scene luminance. The reader will learn how to establish a render scene environment and the reader will learn how to render their drawing and save it in a high resolution image format.

* March 26, 2013, 08:52:53 PM
The kitchen scene is incredible, Don -- both the design and the rendering.

Henry H

March 26, 2013, 11:42:31 PM
 8) Don, your brilliance is dazzling! Great work!

Win 8.1 Pro ~TC 21.2 Pro Plat
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79
Intel Core i7-4930K~PNY NVIDIA Quadro K2200
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Corsair CPU Cooler H100i
SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SATA 6.0GB/s SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB (x2)
Stable @ 4.5 GigHz overclocked
NICE

March 27, 2013, 05:03:30 AM
Nicely Done Don.

Sure will be a hit with many people..  :)

Daz...
V2018 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

March 27, 2013, 07:08:00 AM
I could be tempted to buy this one Don!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

* March 27, 2013, 07:20:32 AM
Beautiful work Don, it should be a great hit. Carroll

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

March 27, 2013, 10:51:35 AM
I'll let you know Carroll, I've just downloaded it. All I need now is the time to go through the tutorial  :D

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* March 27, 2013, 01:15:15 PM
Mastery in every way. I wonder how many points of light is used here to get such effects.
Marek

Marek

TC Pro 2016, TC Pro 2018, TC Plat 2019
Laptop Asus i7 6500U, dual-core 2,50GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, RAM 12 GB, SSD 480GB
Windows 10 64 bit

March 27, 2013, 02:42:43 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I appreciate them very much.

Marek, the render uses:

2 Luminance Directional lights
1 Luminance Ambient light
8 Luminance Point lights
and a hint of standard Headlight.

* March 28, 2013, 04:38:35 AM
Thanks.

I'm trying to guess:
2 Luminance Directional lights - behind windows
1 Ambient Luminance light - anywhere
8 Luminance Point lights - on the ceiling
and a hint of a standard headlight - anywhere

There are not so many , and a wonderful effect. So I think,additional, mastery  in rendering materials. Could we for  two windows  use one  "Sky Light", assuming it is a clear sunny weather with the sun in the specified direction. Or is it more convenient, that it would be "directional light"?
Marek

Marek

TC Pro 2016, TC Pro 2018, TC Plat 2019
Laptop Asus i7 6500U, dual-core 2,50GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, RAM 12 GB, SSD 480GB
Windows 10 64 bit

March 28, 2013, 06:53:47 AM
Great work on the cover rendering Don! Beautifully done. I know the tutorial will be just as great. Congratulations on your first TC V20 tutorial!

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

April 05, 2013, 02:51:46 AM
Don, I'm going through the setup for this tutorial and I'm at the point on page 11 and setting up for the 3D objects to be as solids. I have right clicked on the box tool and changed it to 'solid' but when I go into the selection info palette it shows it as solid mode 'Surface' and won't change. Even tried saving the drawing after changing the tool settings and restarting TC but it still won't let me change it from 'Surface' in the Selection Info Palette. Will this cause problems later?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 05, 2013, 03:58:00 AM
I've moved on from my previous point in the tutorial as I found that if I drew a box it was shown in the Selection Info palette as a solid so hopefully it isn't a problem.
I've now got to the point just after page 35. When I go to draw the two rectangles they draw as two boxes rather than rectangles. Is this a problem?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 05, 2013, 04:03:33 AM
When I get to the point on page 36 where it says 'Place on Workplane' I get the attached error message!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 05, 2013, 05:14:43 AM
I have been talking in the beta group about profile styles Nick.

You cannot use 3D in profile styles which from the image it looks as though you are trying too. John R says he has his selector set to "2D/3D depending on selected object"  so that the Profile edit does not throw an error..

Daz...
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

April 05, 2013, 07:07:08 AM
Also, I think you have set your rectangles to have thickness in the tool selection palette before creating one meaning all your graphics created will take on this thickness.

To zero them just highlight them all and put the thickness to "0" in the 3D properties.

Select the tool and change the Thickness to zero so that new graphics don't have a thickness.

Daz...

April 05, 2013, 07:21:18 AM
OK Darrel, I'll try that but I was also pointing this out to Don as this is following his tutorial, so maybe something has to change in the setup?

The tutorial procedures work fine. As Darrel suggested, you must have some things changed in your rectangle tool or are using the box tool instead of the rectangle tool. There have been no complaints from anyone else that has purchased the tutorial about it not working. If you post your file where you are at I can have a look at it to see what's up.

April 05, 2013, 07:27:32 AM
Hi Don,
Here it is. I've tried a couple of times but always get to the same point before I get a problem!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 05, 2013, 07:48:41 AM
Hi Don,
Here it is. I've tried a couple of times but always get to the same point before I get a problem!

It is as Darrell suggested, your rectangle tool is set to 108" thick. It should have no thickness at all.

April 05, 2013, 07:50:52 AM
Thanks Don. I don't know how that has happened, I haven't consiously done that. Thanks for your help. I'll continue with the tutorial.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 05, 2013, 07:52:39 AM
Thanks Don. I don't know how that has happened, I haven't consiously done that. Thanks for your help. I'll continue with the tutorial.

Since 108 was the height of the wall, maybe you accidentally changed that first instead of the wall. The wall tool is, however, set to the right height.

April 05, 2013, 08:57:30 AM
Seem to have got stck a bit at the point of crating the door profile. I've created the door, then the profile and clicked on boudary and hole profiles and then right clicked and finish but there is no 'finish edit geometry' in the Style Manager so it won't proceed any further? See attached!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 05, 2013, 12:01:28 PM
There should be a green checkmark in the Style Manager header to close the editing session. If not available, try "Edit / Finish to Edit Block". If the Selection tool is active, there should be "Finish block/group editing" near the bottom of the Local Menu that will bring you back to the main drawing.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* April 05, 2013, 09:39:38 PM
Great scene Don. The tutorial looks like it's going to be a very popular one. If I decide to upgrade to v20, I'll buy it myself.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

April 06, 2013, 04:26:27 AM
John, that was the trouble, there was no green check mark. I have opened the drawing again this morning and presses the edit button and then there was the green mark so that now seems to work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:31:04 AM by Nickam »

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 06, 2013, 04:27:34 AM
I've now got to page 40 on the tutorial but I don't seem to have the muntins showing on the door even though I've defined them. HELP!!  ???
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:31:23 AM by Nickam »

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 06, 2013, 06:04:01 AM
On page 63 I tried selecting the cylinders and a warning box came up to say they should be solids. I had, I thought changed as part of the setup to draw 3D as solids. I can I suppose change all the holes to solids but what makes it chenge from the default, would closing down and opening up again cause it?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 06, 2013, 12:41:52 PM
re: I've now got to page 40 on the tutorial but I don't seem to have the muntins showing on the door even though I've defined them. HELP!!

In your "Exterior French" Door style, go to the "Profile" line in "Design" and apply your "French Door Window Profile". This will create the 'hole' in which the Muntins will go.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* April 07, 2013, 08:39:23 AM
I've now got to page 40 on the tutorial but I don't seem to have the muntins showing on the door even though I've defined them. HELP!!  ???

Nickam,

I'm doing the tutorial and have got as far as page 62. I have made a lot mistakes so far but they all been my own error, sometimes I to read the same part several times before it comes clear, the door and muntins are new to me, that probably took 4 attempts, but I finally got it. I then'Save as' that particular page and carry on. The tutorial is great and absolutely correct. See attached.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

April 07, 2013, 08:50:05 AM
Yes Don, I've found the doors and muntins difficult to get to grips with in the past but with John's help have solved the problem now! I do sometimes find though that Turbocad does do some funny things like reverting back to TC Surface from solids.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

April 07, 2013, 09:42:52 AM
It's an interesting concept of seeding with a shrunken copy of the side panel to change direction of the grain. Can someone explain exactly what's happening there?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 07, 2013, 09:55:54 AM
It's an interesting concept of seeding with a shrunken copy of the side panel to change direction of the grain. Can someone explain exactly what's happening there?

When you 3D-Add two Solids by clicking on each, you change the Workplane of the second object clicked to that of the first object clicked. In fact, the "seeding" concept is a lot more powerful and versatile than this example would indicate.

Henry H

April 07, 2013, 10:01:21 AM
What's the importance of shrinking the seeded object if any Henry?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 07, 2013, 10:58:39 AM
What's the importance of shrinking the seeded object if any Henry?

If you place the seed inside the target object, you'll want it to be small enough to be completely swallowed so no visible traces will remain. If it's outside the target, I don't see any need to shrink it. But in the latter case, the seed will still be visible after the Add operation and you'll probably want to get rid of it -- which requires an extra step or two.

Henry H

* July 29, 2013, 10:05:06 AM
Textual Creations is very pleased to announce the release of TurboCAD Pro V20 - Modular Cabinets with Kitchen Scene

TurboCAD Pro V20 - Modular Cabinets is a 419 page fully illustrated led lights tutorial that leads the reader through every keystroke to produce the kitchen scene that is pictured on the cover of the tutorial.

TurboCAD Pro V20 - Modular Cabinets is available on the Textual Creations Shopping Page. Sample pages are available there.

From the Introduction:

TurboCAD is, without a doubt, the ideal companion for any cabinet maker needing to lay out kitchens in a timely manner. This is especially so if a user spends some initial time creating a modular cabinet system that makes resizing and placing cabinets a breeze. The benefits don't stop there. Once the layout is established a user can easily create dimensioned drawings and realistic renders to share with those in the shop, with one's marketing team and with prospective customers.

Within the tutorial the reader will be led through each keystroke to create a modular cabinet system that will be used to create the kitchen scene illustrated on the cover of the tutorial. To help create a much more pleasing final scene the author has supplied several household items (created in TurboCAD) that the user will place during the tutorial. Aside from learning how to draw in TurboCAD, the user will learn how to insert standard lighting and how to utilize render scene luminance. The reader will learn how to establish a render scene environment and the reader will learn how to render their drawing and save it in a high resolution image format.

Thanks for tutorial.. It is really very helpful for newbies like me.. Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:44:47 AM by TobyWilkins »

July 29, 2013, 08:06:35 PM
Thanks for tutorial.. It is really very helpful for newbies like me.. Thanks again

Thanks Toby, I am glad that you found the tutorial helpful.

July 29, 2013, 08:09:44 PM
Hi Don, interesting tutorial, have you ever considered producing a house design tutorial with a complicated roof design. I would suggest that a  lot of TC users produce architectural drawings and would appreciate such a tutorial.
Bob

Hi Bob, I have never built a complex roof so I don't feel qualified to produce a tutorial about.

My Framed Structure tutorial shows the two types of roofs I am comfortable with - the plain gable roof and the hip roof.

* July 29, 2013, 09:53:27 PM
I could be tempted to buy this one Don!

I have done a few of Don's tutorials. I checked the price on this one.... I am sure it's worth the money.

Might get it myself just for the fun of working through it.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX