TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Learning CAM
Read 3304 times
March 09, 2013, 05:33:03 PM
Greetings All,

Could someone tell me what is a post processor ?
And what is G-Code.

Thank you

March 09, 2013, 06:21:04 PM

March 09, 2013, 11:49:26 PM
cheers Don. Yes that is what i thought all along ;-)
I provide shop floor drawings with a cut list to millwork shops. Some have CNC routers and i will also send them DXF files of the cabinet components that require shaping or boring on a CNC machine. I would like to go a step further and learn to supply the G-Code ?? ( not sure if that is correct ) they can directly input to there machines. How does one do that when almost every CNC router / milling machine has a different operating system like Homag Woodwop, NC Hops, Alphacam and many more.

March 11, 2013, 03:21:33 AM
Even though they can be slightly different, most are very similar. Kind of like the different distributions of Linux. I have a made in China, CNC Router, which does not have a hardware controller. It uses a software program, Mach3, as the controller. I started off with one of the preset post processors within TCC, the "Fanuc" post processor. I have tweaked settings & saved as a different named post. With that sais, you would need your post post processor to match yuor vendors post, as well as you would need specific machine coordinate info to set up tcc to work on their equipment.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

March 11, 2013, 05:30:17 AM
Thank you Kenneth, i am reading through what you have written.
What is a hardware controller. Is that a program ?

March 11, 2013, 05:37:46 AM
Is this TCC version 3.5 compatible with TC V18 and TC V19 i wonder ..

* March 11, 2013, 06:50:56 AM
i have programed cnc mills and lathe for metal working. it would be better if you just send them the dxf file and let them do the post processoring for there own machines. it is way to much work on your part to do this for them. if you get it wrong then its your nickel not theirs for the parts being wrong ! hope this helps.

Win 10  TC 17 Pro Plat

March 11, 2013, 07:40:04 AM
Umm , get it wrong yes. This i have done once already.
I set up the Router/milling machine in NC Hops to cut up a Plywood board with the saw attachment.
And accidently set the blade to run 20 mm below the underside of the plywood.
The blade cut through one of the suction cup holding the board in place.

However that is a lesson learned and i will persevere and must learn more about CNC milling.