TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Co-ordinate Dimensions
Read 2288 times
* February 27, 2013, 06:58:45 AM
I wished for this before, but it got a somewhat lukewarm reception.
I don't have CNC but do quite a lot of milling with the use of a DRO. I would very much like to have a new type of dimension (Coord dimension, say?) that allows me to define an origin point, then to specify locations and have a leader type dimension created that contains the (x,y) co-ordinate of the location relative to the defined origin.
Which of the following do you find easier to follow?
Any supporters?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* February 27, 2013, 04:06:42 PM
I wished for this before, but it got a somewhat lukewarm reception.
I don't have CNC but do quite a lot of milling with the use of a DRO. I would very much like to have a new type of dimension (Coord dimension, say?) that allows me to define an origin point, then to specify locations and have a leader type dimension created that contains the (x,y) co-ordinate of the location relative to the defined origin.
Which of the following do you find easier to follow?
Any supporters?

I like it!  Makes great sense to me; that would be a useful Tool.

Though I know nothing about computer-programming, this seems like an easy Tool to incorporate into TurboCAD.  Sort of like the Datum Dimension Tool, but different... and better, for certain applications.

Maybe someone can create an Add-On they can offer for sale.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:13:52 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

February 28, 2013, 01:31:39 AM
Hi Alvin,

personally, I don't find either to be preferable.  If the information is clear, from whatever agreed standard we use, then we might all understand what the drawing is trying to convey.

Like a lot of TC users I began with pencil and paper, drawing to British Standards in Imperial.  I now use a PC and the metric system, I am comfortable using both, and, sometimes use both together!  It's a case of whatever suits myself or the client, at the time.

So, your suggestion is potentially less cluttered, and may, as you suggest, be suitable for some talented programmer to provided as an add-on.

Either way, there's no harm in asking.  Occasionally, thinking 'out-of-the-box' can produce something of worth.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

* July 25, 2014, 12:45:45 AM
Found this by accident but would definitely consider this facility very useful if it was available.

* July 25, 2014, 08:35:14 AM
They've had this for years in the AddOns menu: AddOns / SDK Samples / Insert / Custom Object. Use the "CoordTextCoordinate" tool. Once one is inserted into the drawing, you can go to Properties (Other page) and change the settings. Rubber Stamp to where needed and those new coordinates will show up. It's not as nice or precise as the suggested method with a Leader, but there is something.

Adding a "Coordinate" feature to the Leader tool would be a useful option.

What is DRO? The last time I heard that acronym was in the service; Dining Room Orderly.  ;D

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

July 25, 2014, 03:59:39 PM
What is DRO? The last time I heard that acronym was in the service; Dining Room Orderly.  ;D

Digital Read Out. Electronic Scales fitted to the axes of a machine tool to allow accurate positioning and movement of the cutting tool along each axis.

Best Regards
Bob

TC 14 Deluxe, TC 19 Pro
Windows 7, 64bit 8GB Ram

* June 25, 2016, 10:53:34 PM
Bump.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5