TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Assigning (Physical) Weight to a 3D Solid
Read 4429 times
* February 25, 2013, 07:38:36 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to assign weight- actual pyhsical weight (as in lbs./cu.in.)- to a 3D Solid?-- so that we can use those weight values to have TurboCAD help us quickly and easily calculate gravity-loads?

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 25, 2013, 08:38:24 AM
Nope... you have to take the volume... and do the calculation yourself.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* February 25, 2013, 08:41:47 AM

Thanks for the Reply Greg.  I know this has been asked/wished for a number of times from other Users in the past.   I thought someone might have figured out a way (use of Calculator Palette??) to do it by now.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 25, 2013, 11:16:07 AM

Thanks for the Reply Greg.  I know this has been asked/wished for a number of times from other Users in the past.   I thought someone might have figured out a way (use of Calculator Palette??) to do it by now.

-Alvin

You could use the Calculator Palette, but you'd still have to enter the density manually. Just as easy to use a hand calculator.

Henry H

February 25, 2013, 11:26:44 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to assign weight- actual pyhsical weight (as in lbs./cu.in.)- to a 3D Solid?-- so that we can use those weight values to have TurboCAD help us quickly and easily calculate gravity-loads?

-Alvin

you'd also need to factor the distance from the earth.  Mass may remain the same but weight is a relative thing.

Hey,  to add to the wish list: I'd like  push button easy  Finite Element Analysis for all materials and alloys too.
At no extra cost of course.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:28:23 AM by Cliff »

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

* February 25, 2013, 11:30:23 AM

-Alvin

You could use the Calculator Palette, but you'd still have to enter the density manually. Just as easy to use a hand calculator.

Henry H

Thanks Henry.  I'm doing that whole Pergola/Patio-Cover/Trellis structure.  Figuring out gravity-loads on hangers, posts, footings, etc.

There's a lot of calculations, and I want to have something clean and professional looking for the Building Department; and something that shows that I did my homework.  For our city Building Department, this scope of project is borderline on them requiring a licensed ($$) engineer or architect, so I thought I'd at least provide the calculations and justifications to them.  If they still require outside enineering, I can provide my weight/load calcs. to the engineer and hopefully save him time and me money.

I'm working on a spreadsheet now.  Just did a little research to determine the weight of the lumber I am using (ft.-length x cross-section inches x .233 for 15% moisture-content [it's pretty dry here]).

Thanks Henry.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

February 25, 2013, 12:17:57 PM
Many building departments have pre-approved handouts for designing simple structures. Loads can be determined from tables in the code. Codes assign live load and dead load requirements. In 40 years of residential construction and design I have never seen dead loads calculated, but simply based on a standard per square foot load usually 10 pounds or so, this has plenty of wiggle room built in. There are span tables for joists and rafters, which is the most difficult part of gravity calculations. For your posts, footings and hangers just add your per square foot dead and live loads and figure the tributary area.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

February 25, 2013, 02:02:28 PM

Thanks Henry.  I'm doing that whole Pergola/Patio-Cover/Trellis structure.  Figuring out gravity-loads on hangers, posts, footings, etc.

There's an internet app called the Sagulator that is pretty  good at that sort of thing
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
It's not going to let you place the load in various places but  it'll definitely get you in the ball park

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

* February 25, 2013, 02:13:14 PM
Many building departments have pre-approved handouts for designing simple structures. Loads can be determined from tables in the code. Codes assign live load and dead load requirements. In 40 years of residential construction and design I have never seen dead loads calculated, but simply based on a standard per square foot load usually 10 pounds or so, this has plenty of wiggle room built in. There are span tables for joists and rafters, which is the most difficult part of gravity calculations. For your posts, footings and hangers just add your per square foot dead and live loads and figure the tributary area.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.  Basically, my thoughts about providing the full calculations started with the fact that I don't know- and the Building Department doesn't know or have a table for- what 2x2 Doug-Fir, spaced 4"o.c. weighs per square-foot.  After my research this morning, I now do.

Like for my Patio-Cover, with the concrete-tile roof, we use a dead-load of 14 lbs/sf.  Per the California Residential Code, for a patio-cover, we have to add snow-load (which, locally, we do not have) and 10 lbs/sf live-load.  For non-patio-covers (i.e.: house) we have to add 20 lbs/sf.

Mine is a different design, being that the 4x8 main-joists hang off the house fascia, which are attached to the tails of the house with (2) 16d's, an SDS screw, and an A-34 (this means nothing to you non-construction folks reading this-- sorry- esoteric)- there's a detail on my plans Sheet-2 showing this.  And I am actually a little concerned with that connection; so I wanted to calculate the load and see how I felt about it.

Also, at the Trellis I think I can fall under a section of the CRC specific to patio-covers that states if the load at the post isn't more than 700 lbs., a footing is not required (we have 0" frost-line) and I can bear directly on the existing 3½" concrete slab (there's a copy of that code on my Sheet-2, as well).

----
I guess what I'm getting at:  I don't think- and I don't know if the Building Department is going to think- that this falls under the realm of "simple structure"; it definitely doesn't look like anything on their prescriptive patio-cover drawings and details.

Thanks for the input Mike.  It's always nice conversing with a fellow TurboCAD/residential construction person.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* February 25, 2013, 02:18:34 PM

There's an internet app called the Sagulator that is pretty  good at that sort of thing
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
It's not going to let you place the load in various places but  it'll definitely get you in the ball park

Thanks Cliff, I'll have a look at it.  Started my own spreadsheet this a.m..  That should help input values into Sagulator, should I choose to work with it.  [just quickly typed in some values into Sagulator; assuming the application is accurate, this should help me figure out if and how much my joists will deflect.]

Thanks Cliff.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

February 26, 2013, 04:44:39 PM
Alvin,

where are you located?

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* February 26, 2013, 04:52:07 PM
Alvin,

where are you located?

Bakersfield, California.  South San Joaquin Valley, about 40 miles from the southern edge of the valley; about 120 miles north of central Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:57:27 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* February 26, 2013, 04:55:40 PM
Alvin,

where are you located?

I just did some snooping.  My (expired) General Contractor's license name, which I had since April '98, is Alvin Gregorio Design & Construction.  I guess like you Mike- I wasn't interested in just building stuff.

Alvin Gregorio