TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Gutters, downpipes, facscia & eaves
Read 17900 times
* February 12, 2013, 05:06:34 PM
Creating gutters, downpipes, fascia boards and eaves is relative simple using the sweep tool. The big problem is knowing the short cuts.

Robert Burgess. Using Platinum 21 - Windows 7
Australia

February 17, 2013, 05:58:27 AM
Yeah Bob....Hidden Gems  ;D

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

February 22, 2013, 10:06:57 PM
Me love the sweep tool.  Sometimes, if I'm going to show 3mm edgebanding on all four edges of a shelf, I'll sweep a rectangular profile all the way around, then chamfer it top, bottom and corners.  Way fast.  Nice gutters!
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* February 23, 2013, 11:57:18 AM
The features of TC never cease to amaze me, and most are easy to apply, when one knows how, the big problem is the time it takes to learn how to professionally apply the vast array of TC's features. Autocad provides an array of teaching aids, video's, books etc, as does other similar cad programs, why not TC? TC's help reference manual is very basic in comparison to other cad programs. Do others agree or am I alone on this one.
Bob

Australia

February 24, 2013, 10:32:40 AM
I agree Bob. I find the sweep tool is incredibly helpful for details in architectural models.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

March 07, 2013, 10:08:54 PM
Nice work Bob.  My only problem with the sweep tool for making guttering is I often spend hours trying to get the profile in the correct direction, with gutters ending up upside down, sideways....

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

* March 08, 2013, 01:01:53 PM
Gaz, I have never had this problem. I can place a gutter around a house in 40 seconds and create a downpipe in about the same time. Once a downpipe is created it can be copied and rotated to suit. I use the 3d polyline tool to create the path around the edge of the eaves (always go anti clock wise) (clockwise will place the gutter upside down) and then use the created gutter profiles to create the gutter. Several profiles are attached for your information. I use one of the profiles to create the fascia, gutter and eave in the one action.
Simple procedure once mastered.
Bob

Australia

March 14, 2013, 12:30:56 AM
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have a closer look at what I'm doing...it may be that I've been using the closed polygon tool to draw the fascia line in, and maybe I have used it clockwise.  Are the profiles ones that you have drawn yourself?

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* March 14, 2013, 02:19:29 PM
Yes, Gaz, I copied them from actual gutter profiles supplied by the manufacturers, mainly Lysaughts. and then added the fascia and soffit lining.
Bob

Australia

March 15, 2013, 02:25:53 PM
That's a great idea Bob, having a library of gutter profiles ready to use.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* March 15, 2013, 05:06:58 PM
Gaz, make sure when you draw the gutters, fascia etc that the profiles are continuous, that is, start at point A and finish at point B. They will not work if you draw separate parts and then join them.
Good luck.
Regards Bob

Australia

* March 16, 2013, 01:43:15 AM
In V 20 it's possible to make them from different part, join polyline and then sweep
Attached is made from 2 circle and 1 line, use trim tool, join polyline and then sweep.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

March 31, 2013, 03:48:36 PM
Bob...

...so frustrated!  I've been drawing gutters all morning with the same results...upside down or back to front!  I drew a closed profile of the roof line and a closed profile of the gutter (in blue in the attachments) but the gutters always turned out either upside down or back to front.  I've tried rotating the profiles 90, 180, and 270 degrees...still the same result! Must be something simple I'm doing wrong but I can't see it!

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

March 31, 2013, 04:00:05 PM
Gaz.

I do a lot of sweeps and it is best to orientate them the way you want them to follow and snap them to the profile path I find. It is best if you snap them to using a mid point snap so not to confuse yourself and TC!  this always works for me! :)

Daz...
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* March 31, 2013, 04:32:43 PM
I belive you use "Rail Sweep", not "Sweep",

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* March 31, 2013, 05:52:54 PM
Gaz, cannot see what you are doing wrong., but follow the info on the attachment. Make sure you are in 3d select mode other wise the gutter profile will not attach to the roof edge, select sweep and click on the 3d profile line and then the gutter profile, and poof, bobs your uncle. (Aussie lingo for all our foreign friends meaning the end result). The whole process took less then 20 seconds to create in the attached example. Let me know how you get on.
Bob
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:17:29 PM by Bob Burgess »

Australia

March 31, 2013, 07:16:19 PM
Thanks Darrel, Torfinn and Bob, you've given me some more tricks to try, I'll see how I go and repost...I didn't snap the gutter profile to the line, so maybe that's the key.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

March 31, 2013, 07:39:39 PM
!#$%^&* 

Attached the gutter profile midpoint on the 3D line...rail-swept UPSIDE DOWN again...tried a clockwise line and it flipped back to front again...this is so annoying for something so simple!  One thing though..."make sure 3D selections is on" how do I check that mine is turned on?

Gaz
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:41:37 PM by The CAD man »

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* March 31, 2013, 08:26:09 PM
!#$%^&* 

Attached the gutter profile midpoint on the 3D line...rail-swept UPSIDE DOWN again...tried a clockwise line and it flipped back to front again...this is so annoying for something so simple!  One thing though..."make sure 3D selections is on" how do I check that mine is turned on?

Gaz

If you're not using this approach already you may want to give it a try.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

March 31, 2013, 08:34:40 PM
Don, I downloaded your file, clicked the rail sweep button, clicked on the gutter profile and then the path (as you did) and notice that MY gutter (blue) flipped and ran inside the line, while yours (black) ran outside!  Something is different in my setup.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* March 31, 2013, 08:43:13 PM
Bob...

...so frustrated!  I've been drawing gutters all morning with the same results...upside down or back to front!  I drew a closed profile of the roof line and a closed profile of the gutter (in blue in the attachments) but the gutters always turned out either upside down or back to front.  I've tried rotating the profiles 90, 180, and 270 degrees...still the same result! Must be something simple I'm doing wrong but I can't see it!

Gaz

If you're using Rail Sweep, first place a Point object on the profile at the point that you want to lie on the path. Enable "Use compound profile"; click on the Point object profile, then on the profile Point object, and then on the path. If the orientation of the finished Sweep is incorrect, be sure the profile's Reference Point coincides with the Point object, then go to 2D Select Mode, select the profile, and rotate it. (Usually a 90°, 180°, or -90° rotation will do the job.)

Henry H
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:20:23 PM by Henry Hubich »

* March 31, 2013, 09:16:08 PM
Don, I downloaded your file, clicked the rail sweep button, clicked on the gutter profile and then the path (as you did) and notice that MY gutter (blue) flipped and ran inside the line, while yours (black) ran outside!  Something is different in my setup.

Gaz

Hi Gary, I used v.18 to create the previous attachment. I'll give a try in V.20 and see what happens.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* March 31, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
Bob...

If you're using Rail Sweep, first place a Point object on the profile at the point that you want to lie on the path. Enable "Use compound profile"; click on the Point object profile, then on the profile Point object, and then on the path. If the orientation of the finished Sweep is incorrect, be sure the profile's Reference Point coincides with the Point object, then go to 2D Select Mode, select the profile, and rotate it. (Usually a 90°, 180°, or -90° rotation will do the job.)

Henry H

Henry,

would you kindly elaborate on [what is point object].

Thanks

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* March 31, 2013, 11:07:44 PM
re: …would you kindly elaborate on [what is point object].

Point object = Point Tools

See also Rail Sweep in the Wiki.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

April 01, 2013, 04:02:45 AM
Guys

I never hardly use "Rigid Sweep" and just been playing around with it.

We actually need to have a "Point" placed on where we want the base point to be on the 2D profile when "Compound Profile" is activated.

This needs to do placed before using the Rigid Sweep tool! See image below:

It will not work just trying to node snap etc. ???

On another note (may be a bug - please confirm): The "Dot" in my install of TC does not show a graphic no matter what size the dot is. I can place it and select it. Is this as designed? all the others have a graphic. edit: It should be 1 x 1 pixel but I don't see it - could be a RedSDK issue...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:46:49 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz...

* April 01, 2013, 04:36:26 AM
In this case it was just to flip the profile, and off course set ref point to the point you want to meet the path, attached show's counter clockwise and clockwise path, when the profile is like i feel it would be natural i end up whith TCM's result, but flipped profile get wanted result  :o

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* April 01, 2013, 07:13:38 AM
re: …would you kindly elaborate on [what is point object].

Point object = Point Tools

See also Rail Sweep in the Wiki.

Sheesh, I should have gone to be bed before I asked that dumb question.

Thanks John.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* April 01, 2013, 09:40:42 AM
Guys

I never hardly use "Rigid Sweep" and just been playing around with it.

We actually need to have a "Point" placed on where we want the base point to be on the 2D profile when "Compound Profile" is activated.

This needs to do placed before using the Rigid Sweep tool! See image below:

It will not work just trying to node snap etc. ???

On another note (may be a bug - please confirm): The "Dot" in my install of TC does not show a graphic no matter what size the dot is. I can place it and select it. Is this as designed? all the others have a graphic. edit: It should be 1 x 1 pixel but I don't see it - could be a RedSDK issue...

IMO the "Dot" is useless. Don't use the "Star," either, because its asymmetrical shape leads to confusion as to where its center actually IS. I find the "Cross" is usually the best choice.

Henry H

* April 01, 2013, 11:21:08 AM

I can barely see it, but it's there. If you want a "Dot" that can be resized, use the "Circle" Point. It's stated in the Help and the Wiki that this particular Point will never change its size.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

April 01, 2013, 11:31:43 AM
I think I need new glasses John  ;D

I think I have anti-aliasing cranked up on my Nvidia Graphics Card settings which could be smoothing out the Pixel....

I did read the wiki  ;)

Daz...

* April 01, 2013, 02:56:44 PM
Gaz, ."make sure 3D selections is on" see attachment. The attached gutter image was created in TC 17 in about 20 seconds, I also tried TC 20, which I am trialing, and it worked ok. Maybe there is a bug, what version are you using. I only use the sweep tool to create gutters etc never the rail sweep. If I draw the 3d profile line clockwise the gutter will be up side down but anticlockwise the gutter is correctly drawn.
The advantage of creating combined gutter fascia and eave lining is that the sweep can be exploded and the colours  of the gutters, fascia and eave can be changed. Post me a file if you continue to have a problem.
Bob

Australia

April 01, 2013, 11:39:54 PM
Thanks Bob (and others)

...interesting that you use Sweep rather than Rail sweep.

I didn't want to combine the eave lining, fascia and gutter as they are three different materials, but exploding them later makes sense and the three are drawn at once...you're not just a pretty face eh!

I'll try some more experiments and see how I go.

I'm using version 20 Pro Platinum.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

April 01, 2013, 11:55:48 PM
SUCCESS!!!!

I used the Sweep rather than Rail Sweep tool, and with Compound Profile selected...I needed to attach the gutter profile to the path line (otherwise it offset)...perfect!

I can see others use different methods (more than one way to skin a cat), but now I have this method working for me I'll stick to it!

I found another reason not to combine gutter & eave lining Bob...many houses here have no overhang on the boundary side and larger ones on the Northern (sun) side, so I think I'll draw the eave-linings separate.  Combining the gutter and fascia does save a bit of time though...good one.

Thanks again everyone for your help, I've been struggling with this for ages and it will save me a LOT of time in the future   ;D

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* April 02, 2013, 01:51:31 AM
Glad it finaly work out :)
I also use sweep, it's a kind of wusiwug thing.

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

* April 02, 2013, 01:25:41 PM
Gaz, glad you got it soughed. I have created separate profiles for gutters (round, square, quad etc) eaves and fascia and combined gutter, fascia and eave both for 300, 450 & 600 eave overhangs. I can then pick and choose the profile type depending on the situation. Once the profiles are created save them as a template, x reference, block or symbol for later use. 

By the way, what is the roof covering on your attachment, is it a roofing material.
Bob

Australia

April 06, 2013, 03:44:31 PM
Hey Bob,

The material I used for the roofing isn't a roofing material at all but Decoration - Grenade (altered to grey to slightly resemble charcoal roof tiles)  I use this when I'm not interested in photo-realism but a quick render as I did in this project to show a section with sun angles.  Now with UV mapping I might get some time to produce some realistic roofing materials for better renders - but again I don't want to be spending hours mapping photos to faces for a project that won't bring in income!

Do you have any great roofing materials / tips?

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* April 06, 2013, 05:10:06 PM
Gaz, I have the full range of Colourbond Roof colours in corrugated, trimdeck kliplock etc, they can be downloaded from the suppliers website. I have also downloaded the Boral cement and terracotta roof tile range. Most suppliers have wrapped images of its products. I then apply the wrapped images to the roof as needed. No doubt you do the same.
Bob

Australia

April 06, 2013, 06:28:39 PM
Actually, most of the time I sample tiles with my digital camera, adjust them in Photoshop so they tessellate correctly, then I can adjust the colour for any given project.  I've dumped my Charcoal Centurion roof tile image on this project to demonstrate the difference.

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* April 06, 2013, 06:46:37 PM
Gaz, very good, looks like you have mastered the gutter sweeps.
Bob

Australia

April 06, 2013, 08:02:58 PM
Gaz, very good, looks like you have mastered the gutter sweeps.
Bob

;D

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* April 06, 2013, 09:27:17 PM
Gaz, see how your dutch gable tiles are not lined up with the main roof tiles. A fix, create an new wrapped image of the same tile and call it say Tile 2, then select layout and change the rotation.
By the way, where did you get the rolla door image from. Let me know.
Thanks Bob

Australia

April 07, 2013, 01:50:44 PM
A fix, create an new wrapped image of the same tile and call it say Tile 2, then select layout and change the rotation.

I never thought of that! I wondered how to change the orientation on one without changing the other...so simple...two photos!

By the way, where did you get the rolla door image from. Let me know.

It's not an image Bob, it's a model, I made the door and saved it to re-use in many projects...I have several different garage doors saved (roller, panelled, tilt-up...)

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* April 07, 2013, 02:40:54 PM
Gaz, I assume you created a block of the door profiles. Could you post or email me one so I can see how you did the design as they are really good.
I also note that you are doing most of your design work in TC and not TFP. I started to use TFP for design work and export back to TC to do the working drawings but I found that editing is a pain and now do all my design in TC. I must admit that designing in TPF is simpler because of the great library and the roof tool.
Bob

Australia

* April 07, 2013, 07:14:15 PM
Gaz, I had a go at creating my own rolla doors, I am happy with the results.
Bob

Australia

April 09, 2013, 01:30:37 AM
Great work Bob, they look great.  This is one I made with a roll top to look more realistic.  It's in 3DS format so that I can drop it into TC, TFP or Sketchup projects. (file emailed to you)

I love TFP's plants and speed of design, but for me It's a very slow learning curve on how to do full working drawings and to make custom items within the software, so I stick to what I know...good old TC, and all-rounder!

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* April 09, 2013, 02:00:32 PM
Gaz, was the render in your attachment done in TC and if so quality or advance render. I have mastered TFP to some extent and have trialed Envisioneer's pro- architect software, but whilst you can create working drawings and there are basic drafting and modification tools, it is not as good as TC for creating working drawings. The big draw back is no construction lines and the snaps are inferior to TC. Like you I will stick to the old horse TC and hope and pray they improve the roof tool in the near future.
Bob

Australia

April 09, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
Gaz, was the render in your attachment done in TC ?

No mate, the one above is TFP - useful for the photoboard trees.
The one attached to this is of the same door (minus the house) in TC.  Note the roll top.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations