TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

placing an ortho line on a rectangle
Read 1834 times
* February 09, 2013, 08:10:11 AM
I've drawn a rectangle ( sheet metal ) in 2d, on the fly, measuring 9 x 23.25.  I need to place a bend line at 11.312.  An ortho line is snapped across the bottom of the rectangle; I'm then trying to place the bend line using the offset command. ( It's understood that if a corner of the rectangle were started at the 0,0 point, I could place the line using coordinates. )  Selecting the offset command, the documentation then says to select a line / polyline / arc, then enter the offset into the inspector bar.  But the offset command and pointer cursor ( for selecting ) seem to be mutually exclusive.  I've toyed with vector copy also, but seem stuck with the cursor only wanting to start a new line, unless the arrow ( select ) is chosen. 

Any light you can shed is most appreciated.

Zant 

* February 09, 2013, 09:49:23 AM
below in the in the inspector bar while the bend sheet tool is invoke you'll see a icon for Distance from the Edge select it and pull to the desire length you need the bend or type the require distance at lower left.
At the following link JohnR wrote excellent article on the bending procedure worth exploring!!

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Bend&highlight=bend

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* February 09, 2013, 10:16:23 AM
I've drawn a rectangle ( sheet metal ) in 2d, on the fly, measuring 9 x 23.25.  I need to place a bend line at 11.312.  An ortho line is snapped across the bottom of the rectangle; I'm then trying to place the bend line using the offset command. ( It's understood that if a corner of the rectangle were started at the 0,0 point, I could place the line using coordinates. )  Selecting the offset command, the documentation then says to select a line / polyline / arc, then enter the offset into the inspector bar.  But the offset command and pointer cursor ( for selecting ) seem to be mutually exclusive.  I've toyed with vector copy also, but seem stuck with the cursor only wanting to start a new line, unless the arrow ( select ) is chosen. 

Any light you can shed is most appreciated.

Zant

Probably be easier to use the Parallel Line tool. While the Offset command can be made to work, it is kinda flakey.

Henry H

* February 09, 2013, 02:42:20 PM
You can draw the line at the rectangle's edge and just move it with the inspector bar's delta box, too.

* February 11, 2013, 04:34:16 AM
These are all great helps.

Thank you!

March 03, 2013, 02:27:24 PM
By Distance from Edge, that was the only way I could get a four sided bend to complete. Good one WD, the link helped but I still have to figure out the "Add a line to the top" and "The line must lie on the face of the solid you selected"
With the clue that something had to be "solid" I found the Properties/3D Object as Solid and Use Faceting then I found the snap Auto Workplane by Face which allowed me to attach a line to that facet. What I couldn't find was a means to make the grid snap. I used manual entry to place the lines (four sides, four bends) and then bent three sides before TC stopped me, I can not get the fourth side to bend. I also had the placement lines left over and when I delete them the bend would straighten out.
Attached is the By Distance part and I added the broken one as keyshelf.tcw
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:01:33 PM by kangus »

TurboCad V12~V201x Platinum Pro Edition + CAM Plug-In +  Surface Modeling + Survey Coordinates RedSDK
Production: W10 Pro V 1809 OSB 17763.165 I7 12GB NVIDIA Quadro
TC2019 Test Machine Dual Xeon 16GB W10 Pro V 1809 OSB 17763.165 Nvidia Quadro 416.78