TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Moving views/viewports
Read 1794 times
* January 24, 2013, 07:19:44 AM
Problem

I create a brick detail in model space. I create a "view "of the brick, called "Brick View" (because that appears to be the only way I can get the brick to paper space). I insert a viewport (that has to be called the same thing as my "view", called Brick View)  (that apparently contains that view) to paper space. I do some detailing and call-outs in paper space.  Then I find I have to move the brick object in model space, so as to make room for some other things I am drawing. Since the brick is now moved out of the view, it also removes off the paper space leaving all the notes and call-outs still there. Sheeeesh.

How do I find, see displayed with a bounding box object, and then move the geometry of the created "view" back around that brick, so that the brick shows up again in paper space.

BTW -
I think a view is a different class of logical object than a "viewport object".  I should be able to create a viewport object in model space just like I create any other object, and I should be able to name it , rename it, and drag it around on the model space and what is contained in it, is ported to the paper space that contains it.

A "view" on the other hand should be used for fast navigation to parts of the model space display on the screen. ie do not use views as display objects in viewports into viewports.

Ideas???

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:27:11 AM by 3acorns »

V 11.2 Professional Win xP

January 24, 2013, 08:24:53 AM
Draw a rectangle in model space around your object with the same proportions as the viewport. Use the corners of the rectangle to create your named view. Put the rectangle on a layer you can hide when you don't need it.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* January 24, 2013, 10:45:06 AM
Go to Model Space and set up the View you want. Open the "Named View" dialog and select the name of the bad view. Click on the "Modify" button, then "Close". Go back to Paper Space. Open the Viewport "Properties". Reselect the "View Name". You may need to untick the "Fixed" Scale option to select the name. The view should pop up in the Viewport window.

Another option would be to…
Select the Viewport,
Zoom Selection,
"Workspace / Model Space (Floating)".
Now you're in Model Space through a hole in Paper Space.
Set up your view.
Click outside the Viewport boundary to return to Paperspace.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 24, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
Draw a rectangle in model space around your object with the same proportions as the viewport. Use the corners of the rectangle to create your named view. Put the rectangle on a layer you can hide when you don't need it.

Ahhhhh .. I will try this .. pretty sneaky

January 25, 2013, 12:06:37 PM
You can label the rectangles with the view names, as well, to keep them straight.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* February 06, 2013, 10:52:42 AM
 ;)

got it~