TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

How do I move the reference point to a specified position in object?
Read 2865 times
* September 24, 2009, 01:48:17 PM
I can grab and relocate a reference point by a snap, or maybe just move it around arbitrarily with the mouse, but what if I want to move the reference point to an exact position, either within or without the confines of the object?

For instance, if I wanted to put the reference point exactly one inch from the top and bottom of the object, how could I do that? Is there somewhere that I could plug in numbers?

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

September 24, 2009, 02:09:04 PM
There are delta and position fields in the inspector bar that are active when you are relocating the reference point.  I am having trouble tabbing into them so you may have to click in the first field. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:25:19 PM by turbotech »

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* September 24, 2009, 03:47:22 PM
Press R to use relative coordinates, press D to pick up the selector and snap it to the feature you want to refer from, press D to pick up the selector again, then use shift + tab to enter the x,y,z boxes bottom right of the screen and tab through them to enter the increment you want to move it, then press enter.  Press A to use absolute coordinates again.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:02:04 PM by murray dickinson »

* September 24, 2009, 07:20:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Ok, it looks like I can set a corner, for instance, by using D followed by -<x/2>, -<y/2> in either the DeltaX & DeltaY fields, or in relative mode in the Shift-tab fields. Still, I was a little surprised that there wasn't a way just to set the reference to the corner (unless there was something to snap-to in the corner).

Maybe I should back up and ask a simpler question, which must come up all the time. If you have an object, or collection of objects that don't necessarily have a corner to snap to,  and you want to park it snug in the lower right hand of a box (snug against the bottom and side of the box) ... what is your standard approach?

Earlier I did this for myself by adding in some temporary lines, moving the reference point, moving the object, and then deleting the extra lines. But I figure there must be a more intelligent way to do this, and it must come up all the time.

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* September 24, 2009, 08:26:51 PM
Use V for vertex for a corner, or any snap point to place the selector.  Snaps are feature-related, and most objects have at least one.  I was reading a wikipedia article about topology, and it relates a topologists' maxim:  You can't comb all the hair flat on a hairy ball without a cow's lick, which is pretty much the reason why there's at least one feature for most objects!   Rectangular or prismatic objects: V for vertex, M for middle of an edge, D for divide point along an edge.  Circular or spherical objects have Q for quadrant and C for centre (hover over the edge of the arc, not the centre), and particular tangential relationships.  There are also feature extenders and modifiers, such as intersections and ortho, and projections of those.  For the very rare featureless object, there's the grid.  But if the features are at awkward relationships, as in your example, your construction lines (or arcs, or 3D primitives) are an intelligent approach.  The only other way I can think to do it would be using assembly tools or generic transformations for multiple selections - in which case you'd need to find features anyway.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:02:11 PM by murray dickinson »