Author Topic: Missing/Unreferenced pdf Underlay Crashes TC?  (Read 1172 times)

lloydnb

• lloyd
Missing/Unreferenced pdf Underlay Crashes TC?
« on: November 07, 2011, 05:40:42 AM »
First time I've used an underlay.  I made a copy of a file with a pdf underlay in it but the graphics of the underlay did not copy - it only had an outline like a place holder but no image in M Space and the name was still in in the styles choices from when I made it.   I had turned  the actual Underlay layer  I made for it off sometime before copying it so I didn't notice that it didn't copy over.

I tried to print and TC crashed repeatedly until I found that deleting the copied  'underlay place holder' fixed it.

Is this correct behavior - there was no warning that it couldn't find the referenced pdf.

Is there a help tip (couldn't find it) on how to re-reference the existing underlay, in place,  in a drawing copy or other situation without losing all the alignments and scaling?

Many thanks. 
Version 20.2, BUILD 51.3, Pro Plat, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, GigabyteMB with AMD 6 core cpu - 3.4ghz, 8 gb ram, 1 gb Nvidia GeForce GTS 450.

Dave Taylor

• Administrator
  • Royal Member
Re: Missing/Unreferenced pdf Underlay Crashes TC?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »
Can you please post and email the PDF and tell which version and build of TC you are using?
Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

lloydnb

• lloyd
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Sure, thanks Dave for answering.  I attach the .pdf here.  Additionally Please tell me where to email it.  Do you want the tcw file as well - didn't ask for it.  I think I still have it in its "corrupt' state.
Version 20.2, BUILD 51.3, Pro Plat, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, GigabyteMB with AMD 6 core cpu - 3.4ghz, 8 gb ram, 1 gb Nvidia GeForce GTS 450.

Dave Taylor

• Administrator
  • Royal Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
Ok so i got the fille but have some questions/comments.

1. What exactly do you mean by? I made a copy of a file with a pdf underlay in it but the graphics of the underlay did not copy

I could not copy the PDF to a new drawing sheet, but that is not really surprising since you must use the underlay functionality to view a PDF in TC in the first place.

2. There is no way to embed an underlay to a TCW file. meaning that if you were to send it to somebody the location of the PDF would have to match exactly the path you set up upon inserting the underlay.

3. Printing may be a different issue.  So I'll email you a copy of the PDF I created after inserting your PDF into my TCW drawing.  See if you can print that out.
I would post it but there seems to be a problem with attachments on the forum at the moment.

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

lloydnb

• lloyd
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »
Hi Dave,  Sorry to be unclear.

I copied a .tcw file with copy/paste function in Windows 7.  
This ORIGINAL file  had the pdf underlay in it - working OK.
I may have moved the pdf later, I will re check that again this afternoon to be sure that
all is in the original place so it can find it.  ( I'm going to be out most of the day. )
Before I copied/pasted the file I had turned off the underlay layer - couldn't see it and so did not know
it had not also copied - or was not there for whatever reason.  Worked on it some more then went to print to pdf and it crashed without any warning why.
I looked through the drawing and finally did find that the underlay was still in selection info and there is an outline in model space where the pdf was but no pdf - just the outline - a rectangular shape  that shows in Selection info as underlay.   I see in Selection Info/Misc that there is also the  original path - I'll be sure to check it that way this time.
This may easily solve why I don't see it, but as you say, maybe not the crash itself.

I think I was just surprised that it crashed TCAD without warning instead of just printing without the image, the pdf, showing up.
I feared that it was something more serious in the file than just possibly  some re-arrangement of folders containing the referenced pdf - I will still check that out.
Hope this makes some sense.  

I got your copy and will work on it later this afternoon when I can pay attention.

Oh yes, it is TCAD  V18 Pro Platinum 18.2 - build 73.1

Many thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:18:38 PM by lloydnb »

lloydnb

• lloyd
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 04:49:27 AM »
OK, I had time to use your pdf.  The file prints OK, does not crash.  Thank you very much for your trick, whatever it was....what was it?   The original was in the proper folder - I moved it out and put yours in to try it with success.  Then I switched them again and now the original which would crash before does not crash. Some kind of magic you have there.

For now I am happy that the file does not crash when printed.  I do not need the underlay to print out - only need it to work on top of for the new site work, then turn off for printing.  However there will be a time when I could use the visibility of some underlays to print out on finished sheets.  I cannot find out how to make this work and I think I've looked for all the switches to turn it on without success.  It (either your or my original, no dfference) shows up in paper space, but does not show in the print preview or final print to pdf.  Ive checked the layer print option toggle to be on and have moved the underlay to layers I know do print OK.  So my new question  is what am I forgetting that is obvious here - to get the underlay to print when I need it to someday?

Very Much appreciated!