TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

TC 2017 mangled my part
Read 96 times
* May 17, 2019, 07:54:55 PM
I just got done drawing another former using a method that gives all smooth curves, part looked great. I was doing some final checks and noticed that TC changed the dimensions of my part. I have seen this several times before. It's not a lot, in the order of .0005", but still, why is it changing at all?

Having caught this, I resized the part. Doing this mangled my former. Instead of the smooth curves I had, I have a faceted image superimposed on my smooth image. The mess all selects as one image.

I saved this off as a new image, but TC also overwrote my original image. I had F7.tcw and saved the mangled version as F7_2.tcw. In the end, both F7.tcw and F7_2.tcw have the same mangled former.

So in all this I have three issues, 1) why does TC change dimensions of my parts, 2) why did my part get mangled when I re dimensioned it, and 3) why did TC overwrite my original file??

If I do some explodes on it, it looks better but I'm not sure what I end up with.

Totally baffled, somewhat miffed.

Any thoughts??

Joel

TC 2017 Platinum

* May 17, 2019, 08:15:50 PM
Don't know why this worked, but it did.

When I select the former and do one explode, I found that the part was changed from a solid to a tc surface. When I changed it back to a solid, the part was what it should have been and stayed the correct dimensions.

To me, lots of goofiness here.

Joel

May 18, 2019, 06:02:00 AM
Doing this would have lost curves (they would be replaced with short line segments that approximate a curve).  The results may not be to your satisfaction.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 18, 2019, 07:00:01 AM
You are right, but it's tight enough to not matter. Parts will be converted to dxf for laser cutting. I did a test part on the laser and it comes out fine.

I redrew the former, and the new version is not faceted but TC again changed the dimensions of my part. This to me seems like a major issue with the core of what CAD is supposed to be.

* May 18, 2019, 07:11:34 AM
Duh! and the light bulb turns on.

I backed out of my drawing steps one by one to see where the dimensions changed. It was when I put the tab cutouts in. So TC did not change the dimensions, I did. Cutting out the tabs reduces the OD ever so slightly because I remove that part of the curve.

I have had TC since V4. I really haven't done much complicated. Even now what I'm doing is not complicated but I have learned more about TC in the last few weeks than the previous decades.

I still don't know what happened with the file save thing, but at least as far as why my dimensions changed, and why the part got mangled,  I now get it.  :-[

Joel
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:18:27 AM by Joel »