TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

TC 2017 mangled my part
Read 278 times
* May 17, 2019, 07:54:55 PM
I just got done drawing another former using a method that gives all smooth curves, part looked great. I was doing some final checks and noticed that TC changed the dimensions of my part. I have seen this several times before. It's not a lot, in the order of .0005", but still, why is it changing at all?

Having caught this, I resized the part. Doing this mangled my former. Instead of the smooth curves I had, I have a faceted image superimposed on my smooth image. The mess all selects as one image.

I saved this off as a new image, but TC also overwrote my original image. I had F7.tcw and saved the mangled version as F7_2.tcw. In the end, both F7.tcw and F7_2.tcw have the same mangled former.

So in all this I have three issues, 1) why does TC change dimensions of my parts, 2) why did my part get mangled when I re dimensioned it, and 3) why did TC overwrite my original file??

If I do some explodes on it, it looks better but I'm not sure what I end up with.

Totally baffled, somewhat miffed.

Any thoughts??

Joel

TC 2017 Platinum

* May 17, 2019, 08:15:50 PM
Don't know why this worked, but it did.

When I select the former and do one explode, I found that the part was changed from a solid to a tc surface. When I changed it back to a solid, the part was what it should have been and stayed the correct dimensions.

To me, lots of goofiness here.

Joel

May 18, 2019, 06:02:00 AM
Doing this would have lost curves (they would be replaced with short line segments that approximate a curve).  The results may not be to your satisfaction.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 18, 2019, 07:00:01 AM
You are right, but it's tight enough to not matter. Parts will be converted to dxf for laser cutting. I did a test part on the laser and it comes out fine.

I redrew the former, and the new version is not faceted but TC again changed the dimensions of my part. This to me seems like a major issue with the core of what CAD is supposed to be.

* May 18, 2019, 07:11:34 AM
Duh! and the light bulb turns on.

I backed out of my drawing steps one by one to see where the dimensions changed. It was when I put the tab cutouts in. So TC did not change the dimensions, I did. Cutting out the tabs reduces the OD ever so slightly because I remove that part of the curve.

I have had TC since V4. I really haven't done much complicated. Even now what I'm doing is not complicated but I have learned more about TC in the last few weeks than the previous decades.

I still don't know what happened with the file save thing, but at least as far as why my dimensions changed, and why the part got mangled,  I now get it.  :-[

Joel
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:18:27 AM by Joel »