TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

What did I break????
Read 406 times
* May 17, 2019, 06:23:21 AM
I've been slowly  ( very slowly ) drawing up parts for an old model plane I have. One of the parts I have the dxf for but the tcw file is missing. As an exercise in learning, I converting the dxf back to an editable tcw file.

The dxf is a bunch of short line segments. I used the auto join tool and converted the inner and outer Shapes into single polylines. I think what I need to do next is a 2D add of the 2 shapes, from the users guide, it seems they don't have to touch and the add makes them a single entity. Well, when I try to do the add, I can select the outer shape just fine, but the inner shape won't select. Order I select does not matter. The only thing I can think of is the two shapes are different types of entities. I'm not sure why that would be, how to check, or how to fix.

What did I do wrong with this picture?

Thanks

Joel

TC2017 Platinum

* May 17, 2019, 08:16:15 AM
Joel.  I'm a bit confused  ???

First the easy bit,  the inner polyline is not closed, whereas the outer one is closed,  see attached for pic of where it is not closed.  One could just go into edit tool mode, hover over a node, right click  and click close,  BUT this will add a small unwanted line where the two nodes don't quite meet. (zoom right in on the location in the pic to see they are open).

What I would suggest is, In edit tool mode,  zoom right in so you can select the node at the end of the long straight line.   select it (drag a small selection window around it so the node turns red). right click and choose 'delete node'.  hover over any other node, right click and choose 'close'

This will produce a properly closed without adding an unwanted kink.  However.  being totally honest. I'd personally redraw the whole thing using polyline / arcs. to get a smoother object than lots of small segments (but that is just me).

What I am confused about is the 2d add.  why.  It looks like the middle should be a hole, in which case 2d subtract would be required.  However 2d subtract will produce a region object, which cannot be extruded,  one can go into the regions properties and 3D,  choose solid, and give it a thickness.  There are plenty of alternatives depending on whether it is being just 2D or made into 3D.

* May 17, 2019, 09:11:18 AM
I don't know how Andy found that microscopic gap, but he is quite correct. Having closed it, you can extrude both profiles at once by enabling "Use compound profile." The attached screenshot shows the result.

Andy is also correct, IMO, in his advice to redraw the profiles with new Polylines using lines and arcs. This will produce a much smoother extrusion.

Henry H

* May 17, 2019, 11:07:42 AM
Worked ok for me >

>added thickness to each Pline
> Solid from surface on inner Pline
> Subtracted inner Pline from Outer Pline

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* May 17, 2019, 01:33:28 PM
After closing the inner shape, had to drag the node, close was ghosted out, was able to join them all.

I then tried Henrys idea of extruding using compound profile. This looked OK but when I tried to render it, it had issues.

I then did Deans method which got me to where I want ( Henrys did too with a few more steps ).

Since drawing this part originally, I have changed what I do, so parts now come out smooth. I am drawing them as 3D to begin with then make a 2D DXF to cut with. I may redraw this at some point, but as is, cuts fine.

Attached is my final version, even renders OK.

Thanks for the help!!

Joel

May 18, 2019, 06:00:25 AM
I don't know how Andy found that microscopic gap, but he is quite correct.

In 2019, when I selected the inner boundary and invoked the Edit Tool, the two free ends were highlighted red instead of blue (or green in the arcs).

Not the case in 2017 or 2018, where I would have had to select and pull each node until I found the open ended ones if I didn't already know.

And, yes, re-drawing with Polylines (even though the curved parts had to be snap-fitted) resulted in a much cleaner part.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

May 21, 2019, 04:29:18 AM
Any confirmation on the free ends on a non-closed Polygon being a different color when the Edit Tool is active in 2019?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 21, 2019, 04:39:14 AM
Yes they are, and more correct you can choose to let them show in different color or not.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB