TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

No custom block dialog for adding window styles per manual in Deluxe 2018?
Read 227 times
* July 13, 2018, 03:39:41 PM
I am using TurboCad Deluxe 2018 and trying to add custom windows in the style manager. However, the on-line manual refers to a "custom block dialog" in the properties section of style manager.
It says:
"Open the Style Manager Palette.
Navigate to the Door or Window styles.
Select the style you wish to add blocks to.
Expand the Design properties category and click Blocks.
The Custom Blocks dialog will appear."

Nothing in the style manager remotely resembles  a block dialog. I tried creating a block and adding it to a wall but the opening goes all the way down to the ground below the window sill and I still cannot find a way to created the style or modify any of the styles to any degree.

* July 13, 2018, 04:27:02 PM
I'm pretty sure you dont can do that in Deluxe, it is a Pro Platinum tool.

You can try to copy a window out from a wall, add what you want, select everything and set a new reference point at your like and then make it to a Block, it is more easy to set the ref point before making it in to a Block than relocate the refpoint later.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* July 14, 2018, 02:25:50 AM
The windows in deluxe are minimal.
When I used deluxe I used blocks as windows  I am pretty sure they only cut a hole where the window was unless it wasnt rectangular.
 I cant remember if there was an opening modifier in the deluxe version.
If there is you create the block and then edit it, change workplane to the face of the glass
draw a closed polyline the shape of the hole you want in the wall, select the polyline and then the opening modifier tool.

https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TC2015UG/pages/29458706/Edit+Opening+Modifier
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:27:36 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* July 14, 2018, 04:06:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the manual is generally misleading, referring primarily to the pro versions. But, in this instance it specifically states that it applies to the Deluxe version also. Thus my total confusion. But, I was eventually successful in creating a sliding window as a block and inserting it into a wall with no opening at the bottom. The problem was that I created it by modifying an existing window which had the 2D top view on the work plane contained with the 3D window. Once I deleted that geometry, my new block window worked as it should. One curious and perplexing oddity about creating and inserting blocks is that  it won't drag and drop the block into the drawing while in the solid mode. It only works in the wireframe mode. There is no clue to the problem, no error message, nothing. It just doesn't come across to the drawing. I found this out by chance. Bingo, it worked!  So, a couple of problems with the Deluxe version. The online help manual is totally misleading for Deluxe users and the supplied Architectural doors and windows are very limited. The symbols library is also very limited and can be quite unstable. Messing around there can cause a crash.

* July 14, 2018, 04:41:05 AM
The helpfile tell that it is for all editions of TC and maybe not for the one you have and that you should check if it will work for your edition
And Block have always been like we need to be in wireframe for inserting it, i'm pretty sure it tell you in the help, but maybe not :)
so it's not a problem/ fault, it's just how it work.
If you want some kind of special 2D representation you will need to make a seperate 2D Block for it.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* July 14, 2018, 02:02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure you dont can do that in Deluxe, it is a Pro Platinum tool.

You can try to copy a window out from a wall, add what you want, select everything and set a new reference point at your like and then make it to a Block, it is more easy to set the ref point before making it in to a Block than relocate the refpoint later.

Torfinn

I think you have to drag the "Opening" Commands in from the Customize dialogs and drop them into the Architecture menu.

If you load the "Ribbon" UI, I believe "Openings" are in there.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* July 14, 2018, 03:09:31 PM
Thanks John

Then i know, and also somewhat i cant see in 2018 DL as my pc dont want let me change to 2018 DL, it like the PP finish, sort of :)
But the Q is, can i add Blocks to the window ?? in DL, the Opening tool was another reply, maybe you read the tread "wrong" way.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* July 22, 2018, 01:25:23 PM
Thanks John

Then i know, and also somewhat i cant see in 2018 DL as my pc dont want let me change to 2018 DL, it like the PP finish, sort of :)
But the Q is, can i add Blocks to the window ?? in DL, the Opening tool was another reply, maybe you read the tread "wrong" way.

Torfinn

No. Platinum is the only edition that has a "Blocks" option in the "Design" section.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit