TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Trying to Fill In Unwanted Void
Read 241 times
* July 11, 2018, 06:17:14 AM
Hi.  I have only been using TurboCAD for a handful of days having previously used AutoCAD.  I am not experienced in either but I am learning fast in TurboCAD (TD 2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit).

I have taken absolutely ages to draw the attached flap but I noticed when orbiting that there is an elongated slice/hole in the outside face.  I cannot find out where this came from and cannot use the Undo function.

I have been trying to fill the hole by creating the arc shape on the layer "SliceRemovalTemp" that I was going to extrude then "3D Add".  However, extruding this causes it to pop out the side of that outer edge due to the angle between it and the outside edge not being 90 degrees.

Can somebody please provide some guidance on how to fill the unwanted void?  I have tried to rotate the shape so that it extrudes along the correct path but I am not having much luck.

I have hours invested in this but it has been an invaluable learning exercise.

July 11, 2018, 07:11:09 AM
Hi

To me it looks like a couple of your part tree edits are missing so...

I sliced it in half, deleted the bad section, mirror copied the good half, and solid added them together...

File attached...

Daz...
V2017 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* July 11, 2018, 07:16:49 AM
Well that is typical.  I sat here for 5 hours not being able to do it then as soon as I posted here I worked it out.

Rather than extrude the shape I drew on the "SliceRemovalTemp" layer I drew a similar shape on the opposite lip that is already perpendicular to the required path of extrusion.  After I extruded this new shape I had to do a "Radial Copy" to ensure I was able to fill all of the void without the extruded shape breaking through the surface of the green flap.

I can still see a slight mark on the surface but I am not sure if that is just TurboCAD's rendering or whether there is a minute trace of something left.  My plan is to 3D print this part eventually so the finest of faults should not show in the 3D printed product anyway.

I think I have myself sorted.......

Oh just seen Darrel's answer.  Your idea works much better and easier I think.....I like.  Many thanks

July 11, 2018, 07:20:01 AM
Well that is typical.  I sat here for 5 hours not being able to do it then as soon as I posted here I worked it out.

Rather than extrude the shape I drew on the "SliceRemovalTemp" layer I drew a similar shape on the opposite lip that is already perpendicular to the required path of extrusion.  After I extruded this new shape I had to do a "Radial Copy" to ensure I was able to fill all of the void without the extruded shape breaking through the surface of the green flap.

I can still see a slight mark on the surface but I am not sure if that is just TurboCAD's rendering or whether there is a minute trace of something left.  My plan is to 3D print this part eventually so the finest of faults should not show in the 3D printed product anyway.

I think I have myself sorted.......

Oh just seen Darrel's answer.  Your idea works much better and easier I think.....I like.  Many thanks

Sometimes we overlook a quick method, Slice off the bad and Copy the good ;-)

Daz...
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* July 11, 2018, 07:22:38 AM
Did you adjust the rendering colours/light source also?  Yours is much better looking.

July 11, 2018, 07:29:25 AM
Did you adjust the rendering colours/light source also?  Yours is much better looking.

No, I did not touch anything on the materials, lighting or rendering side...

Sometimes having the Part tree enabled can cause some artefacts when rendering, especially in draft modes...

Maybe just me slicing it etc corrected some z fighting errors...

Daz...

* July 11, 2018, 07:30:35 AM
just to add a method :)

When filling in odd holes, I find it best to start from a flat surface,  in the attached I used bottom view, drew a 'closed' polyline, and extruded, then in front view, sliced it diagonally so it wouldn't extrude too far, then Boolean added. One just has to be careful drawing the polyline ensuring it matches the shape perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:40:43 AM by Andy H »

* July 11, 2018, 07:38:17 AM
Darrel the colours look better in yours - I can see the dish in both sides of the flap whereas in mine one side is just bright green. 

Thanks for the input fellas - steep learning curve and seeing different ways is a great help.

July 11, 2018, 08:27:24 AM
And another method which once you find the best face to move is using the Facet Editor Tool:

Video of me using the method here - https://youtu.be/5jruE5E2Zl4
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:32:01 AM by Darrel Durose »

Daz...

* July 11, 2018, 06:43:58 PM
very cool thank you.  i will load a pre-fix version of the file and play with the various methods. 8)