TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Reverse a simple extrude
Read 467 times
* June 13, 2018, 11:19:51 PM
Hi I'm using version 20.2, is it possible to reverse a simple extrude after the file is saved and closed, then reopened?
Thanks

* June 13, 2018, 11:54:17 PM
Have you try'd to select it and then open it's property and set the higth to 0 or what you want it to be ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* June 14, 2018, 12:46:19 AM
Can you clarify what you mean by "reverse". I presume you want a negative height.
If the extrude is still an extrude you can change any of the properties.
If you are unable to change the height in the properties dialogue box. You can change it in the selection info palette.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* June 14, 2018, 06:57:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I want to convert the extrude back into a 2d line drawing, when i go to the properties - 3d, the thickness option is greyed out and not able to be changed, i have attached a screenshot for reference.

* June 14, 2018, 07:30:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I want to convert the extrude back into a 2d line drawing, when i go to the properties - 3d, the thickness option is greyed out and not able to be changed, i have attached a screenshot for reference.

I can't think of a sure-fire way to get your 2D profile back, without creating a monster polyline with a bazillion nodes. Next time, put the profile away on a hidden layer instead of deleting it after extruding.

Henry

* June 14, 2018, 08:30:42 PM
I would trace over the 3D object perimeter with the 2D Polyline tool, then insert/Rubber Stamp the circles.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 14, 2018, 09:30:36 PM
The section tool will reproduce your profile exactly and easily, including the cutout detail.  Uncheck hatch, use plane by 3 points and it'll work on the surface/plane that your original profile was created on.  It'll be a "group of graphics", explode to usable segments.

Thinking on it, unfold face will do it too.

You'll have to extrude it, though.  That thickness option is a TC surface thing, not an ACIS solid.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:47:14 PM by murray dickinson »

* June 15, 2018, 02:06:15 AM
I know you are using 20 but the later versions have a cool tool called extract entity.
You can either extract a face or all the edges.

But as Henry says you shouldn't delete the geometry in the first place.
It does make future editing easier.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* June 15, 2018, 03:18:51 AM
Another method which is sometimes successful, is to use the drafting palette but it requires more work.

Select object, use drafting palette with the correct face selected using the palette icons. drag the resultant drafting object into drawing, explode once.  The biggest drawback is that, often the rounded arc corners and circles are converted to two arcs. But providing TC has converted to arcs and not splines, one can then use join polyline with 'auto' selected on the inspection bar.  (my view - never use join polyline on a spline).

To be honest,  the other methods posted above are often quicker, I'm just posting this as another alternative.