TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

The future or TC's Ruby ?
Read 2552 times
* April 12, 2016, 08:13:43 PM
I doubt anyone knows the future apart from the programmers, but, I have it in my head that TC's Ruby is based on Iron-Ruby because of its association with .Net, however Iron-Ruby has basically died since being thrown into open source by Microsoft, it looks like the last bug fix version was 2011.

Maybe IMSI are maintaining it themselves, but I got to wondering if there is going to be a new path as far as the SDK is concerned, obviously most 'long term' users know that VBA was scrapped, then went the internet palette which scrapped VBS (which itself was very limiting) now we have a version of Ruby which has effectively been abandoned by the programming community, even IMSI themselves have provided very little in the form of documentary support for their version of Ruby.

So - If anyone from IMSI see's this post or if anyone just wants to comment, what are your thought's on the future of any programming within the TC environment (as opposed to using Visual Studio or accessing it via VBA in Excel).

July 27, 2016, 09:45:45 AM
Sorry just catching wind of this now.  I believe our Ruby support and SDK are 2 separate issues.  We continue to support the SDK.
And there are a host of supported languages -http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/board,28.0.html

We have no plans to develop the Ruby engine further at this point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:47:20 AM by Dave Taylor »

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

November 07, 2016, 08:07:02 AM
We have no plans to develop the Ruby engine further at this point.

Then please look into adding Python http://pypl.github.io/PYPL.html the #2 programming tool that everyone uses now. Ruby is 12, VB 13 while Python is 2.
There is LispPython where you can run lisp scripts with python, they already bind to COM objects with Ctypes and comtypes packages... It would be interesting to look at if someone has the time.

TurboCad V12~V2x Platinum Pro Edition + CAM Plug-In +  Surface Modeling + Survey Coordinates RedSDK
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Editions 1703 OSB 15063.296
x64 I7 12GB NVIDIA Quadro

Hobby User